• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

That's still a minimum of four more seasons.

Again bringing up vacancies that may be there in 4-10 years is a lot "crazier" than ones are available this year or next.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ino-says-he-no-longer-plans-to-retire-in-2017

"I'm probably going to sign an extension somewhere down the road," Pitino said. "I'm gonna stay in it as long as I'm healthy. ... I'm gonna stay in it as long as I can."

This development contradicts what Pitino said as recently as last year when he told a group of reporters that his contract runs out in 2017 and that he's "not coaching anymore after that."

So what to make of this new position?

He contradicts himself on a lot of different subjects, such as joining the ACC, but that's neither here nor there. It's just my personal opinion that he'd retire after winning the championship with a senior PG and senior C in a year where UK missed the tournament. There's no possible better career cap then that.

The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

:rulz:

First, obviously this entire thread is assuming that [Redacted] gets fired. Yeah, we know it's probably not going to happen, but sorry that some of us don't get off on misery and would rather ignore that and be optimistic about possibilities going forward.

Also, I don't know why thinking Wake Forest is a good option is crazy. It depends on what Smart places value in as a coach, which none of us (not even RJ) know what that is. A lot of people might assume it's money, others assume it's being at one of the most prestigious programs in college basketball. I choose to think (based off of what I would do if I were in his position) that as an ambitious coach, he would place value in building his own success, while still being successful at the highest level. He can build his own success at VCU, but can't compete at the highest level. When you start naming other schools where he'll be building his own success and are more attractive than Wake, then I'll start listening. All of this about Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, he'd just be following on the coat tails of a great coach. UCLA is the only one that even sounds close and I'm sure there are other schools that possibly are more attractive, but no one is mentioning them. Wake Forest could be the best possible option for him to build his own program and succeed. I also don't think it's as risky as we think it is. Right now, the dumpster fire is right in front of our face, but not long ago we were the number one team in the country with good ability to recruit good players. Get him here year after next with Shelton Mitchell and I don't think this is a "coaching suicide" job.

Do I think this is realistic? Not really, I'm just being optimistic because there is nothing else good to focus on with this program. But is it crazy? C'mon with the name calling...

The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

:rulz:

Yeah, but crazy will still argue with you.

Guys we need to stop just talking about this on the internet and get out and make this happen. We've seen what this board is capable of, we need to use that to bring Shaka to Wake. Someone needs to find Shaka's home address, cell phone number and personal email. We need to have a Wake fan at his doorstep EVERY DAY telling him to "THINK WAKE." Same thing when he gets home. We need to have people talking to his kids at school, turning them into Wake fans. We should use the billboard money on an advertisment on Shaka's daily commute telling him to come to Wake. WE CAN DO THIS GUYS

Pitino loves Louisville, he loves coaching college basketball and he loves his AD. Barring health issues I think he'll coach past age 65.

It's much less crazy to discuss what may happen over the next twelve months than it is theorize what might happen 5-10 years from now.

Louisville may come open this year if Pitino wins it all, but Cal is going to be at UK for 5 more years at least, so Shaka's not getting that job unless he pulls a Mark Few at VCU and stays there.

If you look at history, last year's epic run suggests Cal may be moving on soon (no speculation here on the reasons).

He's got five of the Top 20 players in the country coming in next year and has a commitment from a Top 10 from then following year.
Cal's not going anywhere.

You aren't bad at trolling.

bkf is like an older, grumpier, RoboHeel. He never fails to show up given the slightest opening to discuss Bobby Knight.

bkf is like an older, grumpier, RoboHeel. He never fails to show up given the slightest opening to discuss Bobby Knight.

Who? Is that the guy that choked a player and threw a chair? I think I've heard of him.

Bob Knight is the guest on Feherty next Monday night. Set the DVR bkf.

Who? Is that the guy that choked a player and threw a chair? I think I've heard of him.

Honest question, would you trade buzz choking cmm or Madison or throwing a chair across the court during a home loss (would say road loss but that would apparently be every road game) for an extra ten wins... At this point I would. #thanksron

Say what you will about bob knight and/or bkf but at least bob knight won without cheating... Just abuse

I was watching some thing on TruTV last night about Kentucky basketball after the selection discussion show and I heard a story I had never heard before about Bob Knight. In 1978 during the regular season meeting between Kentucky and Indiana, Indiana was pounding Kentucky and there was a hard foul on a Kentucky player with a few minutes left in the game and IU up by like 20 points. Joe B. Hall shouted down at Bobby Knight "what are ya doing Bobby?" because they were good friends (entering the game at least), and Knight came down to the UK bench to argue about the call. Once there Knight said "You coach your team and I'll coach mine Joe" and slapped him in the back of the head knocking Joe's glasses off. Joe said that it "publicly humiliated him" and apparently multiple UK assistants had to be restrained from hitting Knight in retaliation. Knight said after the game that he does that as a sign of affection and that if "Joe wants to dissolve the friendship that's on him."

I had never heard that story before which I think is strange given how much we've all heard about Bobby.

I think whenever someone says something about "doing things the right way" in college sports, they are legitimizing how the NCAA operates, which is actually pretty bullshit for a supposed non-profit. The NCAA blows.

I think whenever someone says something about "doing things the right way" in college sports, they are legitimizing how the NCAA operates, which is actually pretty bullshit for a supposed non-profit. The NCAA blows.

This x1000. I'll take a "cheating" coach over an abusive one because I think the players should be getting paid in the first place.

Back