• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

Just like the 18 times we lost this year had no bearing on whether Buzz was coming back, VCU losing or winning today has no bearing on if he comes to Wake.

Today's game highlights my only real concern with Shaka and his havoc system. The level of guard play in the ACC usually doesn't allow you to run a full court press without paying dearly for it on the other end. Every coach that I can remember that ran a full court press ended up dropping it after a few years of being in the ACC.

Today's game highlights my only real concern with Shaka and his havoc system. The level of guard play in the ACC usually doesn't allow you to run a full court press without paying dearly for it on the other end. Every coach that I can remember that ran a full court press ended up dropping it after a few years of being in the ACC.

op_orange_blazer.jpg

Can't tell if this is a terrible matchup for VCU or if Beilein is working Smart (or both).

Both. VCU is taking some terrible shots out there. Hard to tell what their offensive plan is.

And as i write this, VCU getting stomped. The full court press by VCU is just leading to dunks by Michigan.

No Skeen.

No Brandon Burgess.

Not good enough this year - they did not re-load with that level of talent.

Last edited:
No Skeen.

No Brandon Burgess.

Not good enough this year - they did not re-load with that level of talent.

They're also totally unadaptable. Running a full court press all game was suicide.

You seriously have to question Shaka about this. Good coaches shouldn't look this overmatched.

I am now on the Shaka bandwagon. He looks alot like a Wake Forest coach. Team just getting demolished in March. He meets all of our needs, just go throw money at him, we must have him.

They're also totally unadaptable. Running a full court press all game was suicide.

You seriously have to question Shaka about this. Good coaches shouldn't look this overmatched.

Part of the problem is the level of talent that you can attract to VCU. That's the difference between coaching at VCU vs coaching at a major D1 school... like Wake. It's only going to get worse for VCU with the conference realignment. I'm still ShakaIN.

So you think Pitino and Louisville are going to struggle?

I don't follow VCU and Shaka, but watching this game makes me nervous of the RJ proposal of throwing the bank and a LT contract at him. VCU's game plan doesn't look good, and as we saw with Skip's program things that work in A-10 don't always work in the ACC.

We'd basically have to have confidence that he'd be a star coach without his "system" at VCU.

Just being a smart ass because of all the over the top Shaka love. I want to see if hecan do it with kids he recruits not just a loaded team he inherits. Today is just a beat down losing by 27 and showing no signs of life.

Part of the problem is the level of talent that you can attract to VCU. That's the difference between coaching at VCU vs coaching at a major D1 school... like Wake. I'm still ShakaIN.

People may use the talent excuse, but there was a lot VCU could have done differently.

I just think we're seeing the limitations of the "Havoc" philosophy on full display here.

That's the only hope they had. Only only of their normal rotation players is over 6'6. If they played a traditional D, Michigan would destroy them any anyway.

The basic truth is Michigan has four NBA 1st Round NBA picks and VCU has zero. That normally leads to one sided games.

Hopefully, this will make enough people question Shaka, so he's still available next year.

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops 6m
VCU had a terrific season. And Shaka could have a decision to make. Keep in mind A10 is being eviscerated by realignment.

Michigan is playing the best basketball of the season at the right time.. just so happens that VCU is having a bad game.. and plus the overall talent level of Michigan is way better than VCU it makes it even worse looking.. but seeing this 25 point spread is awful to watch

Back