• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

Michigan is a big strong team and consistently threw over the press or drove through it. VCU is plenty quick but they were not as strong as Michigan. And Michigan values the ball. I think VCU had to roll the dice because talent-wise they were outmatched. Sometimes you just face a better team that happens to be firing on all cylinders. That was Michigan today. I don't think it reflects badly on Smart.

If our AD wasnt dug in with Bzz, this is exactly what we would have wanted to happen. The further Shaka advanced in the tournament, the higher his stock would be.

I am still optimistic that we will have a coaching change announcement in April after the tourney. RW has time to do the right thing and Shaka now should be his prime target.

Michigan is a big strong team and consistently threw over the press or drove through it. VCU is plenty quick but they were not as strong as Michigan. And Michigan values the ball. I think VCU had to roll the dice because talent-wise they were outmatched. Sometimes you just face a better team that happens to be firing on all cylinders. That was Michigan today. I don't think it reflects badly on Smart.

I say bull. You don't roll the dice, see it isn't working, and damn the torpedoes. A good team shouldn't be completely reliant on its full court press. They have the athletes to harass in the half court as well. Why not slow the game down? You can say that Michigan had better players, but the answer isn't to turn the game into a layup drill.

I say bull. You don't roll the dice, see it isn't working, and damn the torpedoes. A good team shouldn't be completely reliant on its full court press. They have the athletes to harass in the half court as well. Why not slow the game down? You can say that Michigan had better players, but the answer isn't to turn the game into a layup drill.

I say bull. VCU played very good man to man D all day but Michigan's players were up to the task. There was not one damn thing Shaka could have done today to change the outcome. Period.

Clemsons press was fairly effective under Purnell. Just needed a few more players.

I say bull. VCU played very good man to man D all day but Michigan's players were up to the task. There was not one damn thing Shaka could have done today to change the outcome. Period.

This is just comedy. If Bz took our guys in there and got waxed like that, we'd rightly want his head.

The ultimate outcome was never in doubt, but VCU took bad shots, played some lackluster half court D, were generally out hustled by McGary all day, and continued to press all day despite the ensuing layups. This could have at least been competitive.

Shaka's body of work is awesome, and we shouldn't doubt that he could turn a team into a winner. Today, however, he got his ass handed to him.

Rather my coach get his ass handed to him in the tournament than spend the day at home.

VCU obviously was outmatched, but agree with Texas that VCU's press did them no favors and their offense stagnates when they don't have the opponent on their heels.

I don't think this says anything about how the style of play would transfer to the ACC or another power conference. It was just not a good game for the Shaka and the Rams.

This is just comedy. If Bz took our guys in there and got waxed like that, we'd rightly want his head.

The ultimate outcome was never in doubt, but VCU took bad shots, played some lackluster half court D, were generally out hustled by McGary all day, and continued to press all day despite the ensuing layups. This could have at least been competitive.

Shaka's body of work is awesome, and we shouldn't doubt that he could turn a team into a winner. Today, however, he got his ass handed to him.

fair enough. but shaka has more than earned the right to get his ass beat in march.

He took an A-10 team to a #5 seed at large and played to seed. If our Final Four head coach did that, we'd be critical but not on his ass.

VCU played the way they always play because that's what they do best and they probably wouldn't have done any better trying to sit back in a half court game. Michigan was a tough match up regardless. VCU's big problem is they shot very poorly. VCU managed to turn the Michigan guards over 8 times and 12 for the team, they just didn't capitalize.

Not sure there was much Shaka could do, maybe, I dunno. But absolutely no, we would not be calling for his head. That is a dumb statement. Please don't use Shaka and Bz in the same sentence as if anything about their coaching experience is the same. Buzz routinely leads teams to the slaughter.

VCU played the way they always play because that's what they do best and they probably wouldn't have done any better trying to sit back in a half court game. Michigan was a tough match up regardless. VCU's big problem is they shot very poorly. VCU managed to turn the Michigan guards over 8 times and 12 for the team, they just didn't capitalize.

Not sure there was much Shaka could do, maybe, I dunno. But absolutely no, we would not be calling for his head. That is a dumb statement. Please don't use Shaka and Bz in the same sentence as if anything about their coaching experience is the same. Buzz routinely leads teams to the slaughter.

I wouldn't mind getting slaughtered like that in the NCAA Tourney. Beats it happening in November and December and January and February and the first weeks of March.

Comedy my ass. VCU ran into a buzzsaw today. You just don't get it.

If we wanted a coach that could take us to the 2nd round of the tournement and then lose by 20+, we should have kept Dino.

Back