• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

He took an A-10 team to a #5 seed at large and played to seed. If our Final Four head coach did that, we'd be critical but not on his ass.

You say that as if being an A-10 team is a disability for him. The A-10 got more love from the committee than any other conference this year.

You say that as if being an A-10 team is a disability for him. The A-10 got more love from the committee than any other conference this year.

No they didnt all 5 a10 teams this year earned their place. The mtn west on the other hand....

Its a non power conference you stupid fuck. They went 5-0 in the first round. God you not know anything about basketball.

They went 5-0 in the first round because most of them were over-seeded and got to play automatic qualifiers (except for Temple who benefitted from NCSU's annual choke job). If they deserved 5 teams in the tournament with high seeds, you'd expect more than 1 of them to make it past the second round.

One of their teams would be favored in the second round (st louis). I dont know why i engage conversations with you. La salle beat a co big 12 regular season champ.

boogity is the anti-Say Hey. Say Hey has a schtick, but it is funny. Boogiity has a schtick, and it is annoying as fuck and he just keeps pushing it.

I say bull. You don't roll the dice, see it isn't working, and damn the torpedoes. A good team shouldn't be completely reliant on its full court press. They have the athletes to harass in the half court as well. Why not slow the game down? You can say that Michigan had better players, but the answer isn't to turn the game into a layup drill.

I dunno, Louisville is reliant on it, they do ok in the big east, there competitive. This come down to talent, Michigan was a bad mathcup for VCU from the beginning because they have legitimate guard play: that is hard to find in College basketball.

Louisville is not reliant on it. They don't press nearly as much as Pitino's Kentucky teams.

Wake fans are very forgiving about NCAA tournament blowouts.

Sincerely,
Dave Odom
Dino Gaudio

Wake fans are very forgiving about NCAA tournament blowouts.

Sincerely,
Dave Odom
Dino Gaudio

I don't remember much of any fuss about the Kentucky blowout in '10. The blowouts when they shouldn't be blowouts have been the problem.

I don't remember much of any fuss about the Kentucky blowout in '10. The blowouts when they shouldn't be blowouts have been the problem.

You play enough games and get in there enough times blow outs will happen. Give me the 2 ACC titles. You all can have all the Skip Prosser, Dino Gaudio you want. Give me Dave Odom, lock down defense and close out games at the line. Where have we been in the post season including the ACCT since RW's ego saw fit to get rid of GDO? nowhere.

You play enough games and get in there enough times blow outs will happen. Give me the 2 ACC titles. You all can have all the Skip Prosser, Dino Gaudio you want. Give me Dave Odom, lock down defense and close out games at the line. Where have we been in the post season including the ACCT since RW's ego saw fit to get rid of GDO? nowhere.

That's one take. My take, having been there when it was happening, is that Odom lucked into Duncan. No Hugo, no Duncan, no ACC titles. It was a nice happenstance. I enjoyed every minute of it. I think Skip was every bit the basketball coach Odom was.

I really like Odom's championships and think he is a great guy. However, I could not stand to watch his teams play tight games. It seemed like we slowed down the game to a single position game. We won more than we lost, but it was hard to make a deep run in the tournament with that much pressure on each possession.

comparing odom and skip is apples to oranges. both were good coaches. skip's teams were more fun to watch, odom's more organized.

it's unfair to odom to say that RR, RC, and TD don't owe some of their flourishing to his tutelage. I remember being frustrated with odom too, as people didn't feel like he got the most out of his teams towards the end and that slooooow, set-piece style of play was BORING. That said, we were competitive under him, he had a high grad rate, repped the school well, and was one flu virus and some faggot named bryant reeves away from taking us to the final four for the 2nd time since packer.

plus had roro not gone early, we woulda won a natty... at the end of the day what odom could not overcome despite his length tenure is simple WFU bad luck, which is almost as strong as our academic tradition.

comparing odom and skip is apples to oranges. both were good coaches. skip's teams were more fun to watch, odom's more organized.

it's unfair to odom to say that RR, RC, and TD don't owe some of their flourishing to his tutelage. I remember being frustrated with odom too, as people didn't feel like he got the most out of his teams towards the end and that slooooow, set-piece style of play was BORING. That said, we were competitive under him, he had a high grad rate, repped the school well, and was one flu virus and some faggot named bryant reeves away from taking us to the final four for the 2nd time since packer.

plus had roro not gone early, we woulda won a natty... at the end of the day what odom could not overcome despite his length tenure is simple WFU bad luck, which is almost as strong as our academic tradition.

So true. In the tournament, sometimes you get unlucky, sometimes you play to seed, sometimes you lose a heartbreaker, sometimes you get blown out. And sometimes you make a run. You have to get there and get there often.

I think it is possible that if Buzz gets a few more years, if this class stays together, if we add a few more talented players, we might get to the tournament. I say might because that is going to become increasingly difficult in this conference, especially as long as so many mid-majors keep getting in, there are just fewer spots in the "power conferences." It also means that it will have taken Buzz 5-6 years to assemble a tournament team. It will certainly be the longest post-season absence in my years as a fan (sorry, I just go back to Odom). I think it is hard to argue that Buzz is an upgrade over Odom, Prosser, or Dino, take your pick.

So true. In the tournament, sometimes you get unlucky, sometimes you play to seed, sometimes you lose a heartbreaker, sometimes you get blown out. And sometimes you make a run. You have to get there and get there often.

I think it is possible that if Buzz gets a few more years, if this class stays together, if we add a few more talented players, we might get to the tournament. I say might because that is going to become increasingly difficult in this conference, especially as long as so many mid-majors keep getting in, there are just fewer spots in the "power conferences." It also means that it will have taken Buzz 5-6 years to assemble a tournament team. It will certainly be the longest post-season absence in my years as a fan (sorry, I just go back to Odom). I think it is hard to argue that Buzz is an upgrade over Odom, Prosser, or Dino, take your pick.

The other flaw with Buzz is that even if this does happen and we get there in a few years, I don't see him being able to maintain repeat success, especially in a tougher conference. Whether he finally "gets his players" (like so many tout as a reason he should return and get another chance) and was able to coach them to the tournament or lucked into a few consecutive good recruiting classes (more likely the case) and makes the tournament, I just can't see him having a sustainable model where he is able to reload. If he did this poorly with this years team, which I think at least some people thought could have been a tournament team with a really good coach, then that means he will be relying on Shelton Mitchell and an improved Devin to get him to the tournament. Even if Buzz were a great recruiter, you still can't bank on getting talent like that every year. On top of that, if he underachieved like he did this year, what does that mean he'll do with the talented team he'll have in a few years? A 5-6 seed at best?

Especially with our luck, Wake Forest needs to make the tournament several times in a short time span (say, 5-6 years) as a high seed in order to make a run. All you have to do is look at our recent past with 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2009 as a 7 seed, a 7 seed, a 2 seed, a 4 seed, a 2 seed, and a 4 respectively. And that culminated in a first round loss, second round loss, another second round loss, one Sweet Sixteen, another second round loss and first round loss. I know that some of the factors were different and this has to be taken with a grain of salt, but still, those factors are our bad luck. That's five straight years in the tournament with 3 straight high seeds and another year with a high seed and the best we had was one Sweet Sixteen. The last year of Prosser's run, we thought that team was going to make a run and they should have, but it was March and it's the NCAA tournament. Point being, we need a coach that can have that four year stretch a few times over his career. That's when we win a National Championship.

Exactly. If we stick with Bz, there's no way we get to where this program has been much less where it should be.

And then, on top of all of that, let's say we do make the tournament as a mid seed (5-8) or even 3 or 4 seed for one year and we hope we can make some improbable run (like Butler, VCU, George Mason, or '83 NC State), we have Jeff [Redacted]. Teams that make improbable runs (and I use State as an example because they actually won) have inspirational coaches because these college kids have to win 6 straight games. Even when State won, they were still a 6 seed and they had Jim Valvano, one of the most inspiring coaches ever. Jeff [Redacted] can't even inspire his team to win a road game.

Back