• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

At VCU, Smart has a 8 year contract worth $1.36 million/year. I believe Smart also received an attendance bonus because VCU sold out all or almost all of their home games. He likely also received an NCAA tourney bonus. He also has a $800K buy-out. So, if Smart decides to leave VCU for a money grab, the offer will need in the range of $2.5 million a year for at least 5 years (probably longer). Not sure WF has the ability/willingness to offer that type of deal.

Also, I think that the notion that Smart is looking to leave VCU because Xavier, Butler and Temple are leaving the A-10 is little too simplistic. Even with those losses, the A-10 is still at the top (or at least close to the top) of the mid-major conferennces. Without those 3, it will be easier for Smart to keep VCU at the top of the A-10 (by the way, not out of the realm of possibility that VCU gets an invite to the new Big East). So, like Stevens at Butler, Smart can enjoy his comfortable life at VCU and wait for a job to open at power school (Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Cuse, Louisville) rather than take a job like WF where he is taking on a challenge at what is at best the 9th or 10th most attractive program in the conference. If he takes the WF job, Smart is likely eliminated from ever getting the Duke, UNC, Cuse or Louisville jobs because of the conference affliation issues, and if he does not win, he is never getting a job at a power school. History tells anyone looking at the WF basketball program with an impartial eye that winning at WF is hardly lock, and now the ACC is adding Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and ND on top of Duke and UNC. Yipes.

Given all these circumstances, don't see any chance that WF offers the money that it would make Smart consider the WF job, and even if WF does offer that kind of cash, don't see Smart taking it.

The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at a mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

Last edited:
We would need to offer in excess of$2.75M for 7/8 years (maybe even ten).

Cuse is off the table. It's going to Mike Hopkins.

He's not getting the Duke job. K will want one of his guys to replace him.

Ohio State isn't firing Matta for the next decade. Izzo will pick and assistant.

He didn't like IL or State becasue they were too big and factory like. This eliminates KY and Ville.

At VCU, Smart has a 8 year contract worth $1.36 million/year. I believe Smart also received an attendance bonus because VCU sold out all or almost all of their home games. He likely also received an NCAA tourney bonus. He also has a $800K buy-out. So, if Smart decides to leave VCU for a money grab, the offer will need in the range of $2.5 million a year for at least 5 years (probably longer). Not sure WF has the ability/willingness to offer that type of deal.

Also, I think that the notion that Smart is looking to leave VCU because Xavier, Butler and Temple are leaving the A-10 is little too simplistic. Even with those losses, the A-10 is still at the top (or at least close to the top) of the mid-major conferennces. Without those 3, it will be easier for Smart to keep VCU at the top of the A-10 (by the way, not out of the realm of possibility that VCU gets an invite to the new Big East). So, like Stevens at Butler, Smart can enjoy his comfortable life at VCU and wait for a job to open at power school (Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Cuse, Louisville) rather than take a job like WF where he is taking on a challenge at what is at best the 9th or 10th most attractive program in the conference. If he takes the WF job, Smart is likely eliminated from ever getting the Duke, UNC, Cuse or Louisville jobs because of the conference affliation issues, and if he does not win, he is never getting a job at a power school. History tells anyone looking at the WF basketball program with an impartial eye that winning at WF is hardly lock, and now the ACC is adding Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and ND on top of Duke and UNC. Yipes.

Given all these circumstances, don't see any chance that WF offers the money that it would make Smart consider the WF job, and even if WF does offer that kind of cash, don't see Smart taking it.

The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

I am so depressed now.

The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at a mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

This makes me think that Alabama's Anthony Grant would be a strong candidate to replace Bz.

We would need to offer in excess of$2.75M for 7/8 years (maybe even ten).

Cuse is off the table. It's going to Mike Hopkins.

He's not getting the Duke job. K will want one of his guys to replace him.

Ohio State isn't firing Matta for the next decade. Izzo will pick and assistant.

He didn't like IL or State becasue they were too big and factory like. This eliminates KY and Ville.

What about UCLA?

I'd be fine with Grant but he already makes $1.8MM/year.

The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

:rulz:

The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

I don't believe we'll fire [Redacted], and if we did, I don't believe Wellman would make Shaka an offer. That said, your post relies on two faulty assumptions. There's no guarantee that those other options you mention will be open and/or make him an offer. And there's nothing that precludes him from being offered those other jobs in future years should he in theory take a Wake Forest job now.

What about UCLA?

This is one that's been confusing all year. Before the season Howland was in trouble. When they were losing, he was gone. Then they got hot and he became safer.

They should be very good next year assuming Adams and Anderson return.

They also have an intriguing prospect. They have a walk-on named Adria Gasol. He's 6'10 and from Spain. Yep, those are his brothers. Right now he can't play, but Marc was a late bloomer too.

If UCLA stumbles, Howland could be on the hot seat.

I've said many times UCLA is one of the few big school jobs Shaka would like. You are basically in a village. You don't rally feel like you are in a city.

It's an excellent school and has a great mix of people from all over the world.

With the money they would pay Shaka he could buy a home in the hills over the school above Sunset.

It's one of the great locations for a school in this country.

Our intentions as a fanbase are admirable here- we've had the absolutely worst bball coach on the planet for the last three years and we want to be compensated for that gross incompetency wih the absolute best bball coach that money can buy!

We can still make this happen but the sooner we have the opening, the better!

First of all neither Pitino nor Calipari are going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I don't expect Shaka to stay at VCU for the next 5-10 years.

No it's crazy to think he'll take a job that won't be open versus one that will.

Louisville may come open this year if Pitino wins it all, but Cal is going to be at UK for 5 more years at least, so Shaka's not getting that job unless he pulls a Mark Few at VCU and stays there.

I'd be really surprised if Pitino quits after this year or any time soon. He's really competitive and basically has no pressure on him.

He couldn't be in a better place as his racing interests expand.

He's having a blast.

Good post and good points. Illinois really seemed like it would be a good fit for him if he were inclined to leave. VT and State are cow colleges, and definitely do not fit his persona, though VT has been able to attract much better students in the past decade. But it is still VT, and State is still State.... I see Shaka at a sprawling urban school in a big city. Even if the landscape around VCU were to crumble, they keep winning and Shaka's popularity among high schoolers and AD's will continue to grow. I think he has supreme confidence that he can win anywhere any time, and I don't see him having a problem finding a good job even if VCU's conference affiliation falls apart. I think he wants to build it at VCU and be the man, much like Mark Few is at Gonzaga. The sense of accomplishment would be much greater than taking over at a well-established school. And VCU is already on the national stage. Ranked all year and recruiting is definitely improving.

If there were ever a time, now might be it. And if we could get him, it could be one of those rare hires that changes a program for 15-20 years. We need to cut bait with [Redacted] now, and take our shot at Shaka. We have a 0% if we don't. And 98% chance of a mediocrity ceiling with [Redacted]. And if we don't, we have a 90% of faring the same of better with most anyone we hire, remembering that Bob Staak looked like a good hire, as did Les Robinson and countless others. We HAVE to take our shot now.

I agree with most of your post. However, that in the bold should read 99.999% chance of faring the same or better. Staak and Robinson were both better coaches and had better performance records than Buzz. Regardless, by saying "the same or better," you've pretty well covered your bases...

I'd be really surprised if Pitino quits after this year or any time soon. He's really competitive and basically has no pressure on him.

He couldn't be in a better place as his racing interests expand.

He's having a blast.

He's had a great 2 year run, but he's not reloading. Plus he looks really unhealthy, I've seen old men on chemo who looked better.

Maybe he's having too much fun :)

It's more like a six year run. If he makes at least the Elite 8, he will have done so in four of the last six years.

Other than Cal (at least one of those seasons was negated due to cheating), has anyone else had such a current run?

He's had a great 2 year run, but he's not reloading. Plus he looks really unhealthy, I've seen old men on chemo who looked better.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ino-says-he-no-longer-plans-to-retire-in-2017

"I'm probably going to sign an extension somewhere down the road," Pitino said. "I'm gonna stay in it as long as I'm healthy. ... I'm gonna stay in it as long as I can."

This development contradicts what Pitino said as recently as last year when he told a group of reporters that his contract runs out in 2017 and that he's "not coaching anymore after that."

So what to make of this new position?

Back