• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you boycott any products/companies?

Have you considered that some people change homes not related to a job offer ?

Have you considered that some people change homes not related to a job offer ?

Sure. But I assumed we are talking about long distance moves that would require a national chain.

tenor.gif

LOL. Why would you hire a moving service worth boycotting to move 20 minutes away? Just hire a local company with a truck.

Sure. But I assumed we are talking about long distance moves that would require a national chain.

You think the average person renting a uhaul or Penske truck is moving across the country?

Some might call this phivoting amazing. Others might call it desperate.

This is another great hill Ph will die on, but don’t worry his bloated corpse will roll down the hill with enough momentum to end up on top of a new hill soon enough.

LOL. Why would you hire a moving service worth boycotting to move 20 minutes away? Just hire a local company with a truck.

1. Any company is worth boycotting.
2. Isn't a local company with a truck a moving company ?

Some good Ph-isms in this thread today.

Local movers are worse than national ones because the business model discussed above works best when there is no reputation so risk.

You think the average person renting a uhaul or Penske truck is moving across the country?

I thought you all were talking about companies that pick up your stuff and move it for you. What customer service do you need to rent a truck?

Local movers are worse than national ones because the business model discussed above works best when there is no reputation so risk.

Dude, you can go on Angie’s List and get a bunch of reviews of local businesses. The national companies are worse because someone trying to move from Raleigh to Phoenix can ignore a bad review from someone in Detroit. Someone trying to move Zebulon to Knightdale can’t ignore reviews of people in their area about a local moving company.

1. Any company is worth boycotting.
2. Isn't a local company with a truck a moving company ?

1. That’s fair. But local companies are a dime a dozen compared to the big movers.

2. Yeah. But it’s a local moving company.

For a change of topic, I am boycotting both Hertz and Amex, related to the same incident.

Hertz because they charged me $2000 for damage and then took over a month to actually explain what the charge was. They then sent pictures which showed no apparent damage. Given how incredibly difficult it was to deal with them, I decided to just leave it at that because an Amex rep had actually proactively told me not to get rental insurance the day before the trip because the card that I booked the car on included coverage. Turns out it did not include coverage. Long story short, but after a year of back and forth (during which they told me multiple times that the card would be credited the next business day), they told me that because they didn't have a specific recording of their rep giving me the wrong information that they were going to stiff me with the bill. And, actually, the last supervisor I talked to informed me that they might not have paid the claim even if they did have a recording because Amex was not the final authority on my card's benefits, rather my company was.

Luckily, I am not mandated to use the Amex Corporate card (in fact, only used it for booking car rentals...), and I immediately canceled my SPG Amex. So that's $30k a year or so in spend that is now going to Chase. Luckily my company also has two preferred car rental agencies, and it turns out that Avis is actually superior in pretty much every way anyway.

I just did this, but I was also one dude moving into an apartment.

Also, it sucked, and I'd absolutely go back and pay extra for movers if I could

I just did this, but I was also one dude moving into an apartment.

Also, it sucked, and I'd absolutely go back and pay extra for movers if I could

I've done several moves like this and personally I think the best situation when you're younger and don't have a lot of heavy furniture is to rent your own truck but hire people to help load and unload on either end. Someone mentioned above that the worst experience they had was the company paid for move and the one time that was done for me and my wife I have to agree -- was the worst couple of days of my life.

What customer service do you need to rent a truck?

Actually having the truck that you rented be available at the time they said it would be.

Which is the exact situation that started this whole conversation.

Back