• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you boycott any products/companies?

We boycott all corporate fast food but not for any ethical reason, but because it sucks.

The local drive-ins (Beacon Drive-In, Clock, Little Rebel Sugar-n-Spice) are much better if a burger or dog is needed.

I boycott "fair trade" coffee because it costs 3x what normal coffee costs. Thats just corporate greed clothed in hippie do-goodness. My daughter and her friends go to Starbucks all the time, but I make it clear that she has to spend her own money at Starbucks. And she has shitloads of her own money. She and her friend make hairbows in their spare time. She got all her cheer squad friends to wear her custom hairbows, and then she sells them to everybody else for like $5 a bow. The last craft festival we had in town, I paid the $50 entrance fee and she and her friend made like $600 and they would've made more if they hadn't run out.

I boycott Burger King (crappy employees and worse food) I boycott K&W Cafeteria (asshole former owner now dead) and boycott Ben and Jerry's ice cream (support cop killer)

I don't think you are boycotting BK. I think you just don't like their product.

I boycott "fair trade" coffee because it costs 3x what normal coffee costs. Thats just corporate greed clothed in hippie do-goodness. My daughter and her friends go to Starbucks all the time, but I make it clear that she has to spend her own money at Starbucks. And she has shitloads of her own money. She and her friend make hairbows in their spare time. She got all her cheer squad friends to wear her custom hairbows, and then she sells them to everybody else for like $5 a bow. The last craft festival we had in town, I paid the $50 entrance fee and she and her friend made like $600 and they would've made more if they hadn't run out.

This is a weird, meandering post.

Good coffee costs more money for a good reason. The lower quality beans you find in macro-produced, multiple origin blends like Folgers and Maxwell House, or the stuff that produces instant coffee or gas station stuff, generally speaking, comes from coffee that is grown low on a mountain, on trees that are bred to be resistant to disease, pests, and weather. The coffee is easy to pick, and abundant. It's also not very good for you, (generally) more acidic, and unsustainably grown.

Coffee you'll find in coffee houses is typically either single origin, supporting a farm or region, or a blend from many sources but free/fair trade in order to keep it sustainably grown. And on top of that, the best beans grow much higher up in elevation, and are more prone to disease and are harder to pick. All of this drives up the cost of coffee on a per pound and per cup basis. It also makes coffee that is far better for you and tastes appreciably better.

This is a weird, meandering post.

Coffee you'll find in coffee houses is typically either single origin, supporting a farm or region, or a blend from many sources but free/fair trade in order to keep it sustainably grown. And on top of that, the best beans grow much higher up in elevation, and are more prone to disease and are harder to pick. All of this drives up the cost of coffee on a per pound and per cup basis. It also makes coffee that is far better for you and tastes appreciably better.

but could be different from coffee labeled "fair trade", though. those things are not necessarily the same

I am boycotting the Kroger that is near my office and told them as much in their online survey. I'm awaiting their response.

For the record, I don't really boycott anything. I'm way to pragmatic and can't think of any company that does something so reprehensible that I can't patronize them. I suppose there are a few places that have personally pissed me off and generally avoid, but I wouldn't say I boycott anyone.
With that said, to what extent do yo boycott Papa Johns/Wal-Mark/Nike/BP.
Suppose someone invited you to watch a game and bought some pizza and it was Papa Johns....would you be rude and not eat it or would you eat it because you didn't buy it? What if you needed some gas and BP was the only gas station around? What if you needed anything and Walmart was right across the street, but you'd have to drive across town to get it elsewhere? I guess my question to you is "To what extent would you inconvenience yourself to uphold your boycott?"

I have way too many buying options for me to feel inconvenienced. And yes, if I was at a friend's house for game watching and they ordered Papa John's I'd eat it. I don't push my choices on others and I'm not going to sit in a corner starving and sulking. With that said, I am pretty strict about my shopping habits. The closest gas station to me is a BP. I don't buy my gas there(I go to a another station about 1/2 mile up the road) but I do stop in there a couple times a week for quick sundry pick ups because I really like the local guys that own the place. I haven't set foot in a WalMart in 10+ years and haven't missed it one bit. Nike, I haven't bought a Nike product in over 20 years. Do I feel like I'm missing out on something great, no.

but could be different from coffee labeled "fair trade", though. those things are not necessarily the same

What things are not the same? A coffee house that is going far enough to singly source beans or even really specialize in coffee these days is almost certainly going to get fair trade certified beans.

Green Mountain, who has the market basically cornered on K-Cups, is fair trade certified. Starbucks, and the next ten biggest retailers of coffee are all using 90+% fair trade sourced beans.

Farmers get, on average, 90 cents more per pound for fair trade coffee. And when coffee prices drop, it's not like Starbucks is passing off savings to you, it's farmers who suffer, and big companies who profit. It makes sense to support fair trade coffee if you really like coffee.

i'm just saying that Fair Trade doesn't necessarily mean 'good coffee'. It could, and mostly does, but one shouldn't conflate quality with moral purchasing

that's one helluva mixed metaphor

i can dig it

Considering this is the second thread in a week where rj has drawn attention to how big of a moron he is, he should probably boycott starting new threads.

Added bit of info from this thread: rj, of all people, doesn't know how to spell "anti-semitic."

Back