• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

FWIW, Bomani Jones nailed this better and before anyone. Like 2006 before.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/060810

What's even more disturbing? Sterling was sued for housing discrimination by 19 plaintiffs in 2003, according to The Associated Press. In this case, Sterling was accused of trying to drive blacks and Latinos out of buildings he owned in Koreatown. In November, Sterling was ordered to pay a massive settlement in that case. Terms were not disclosed, but the presiding judge said this was "one of the largest" settlements ever in this sort of matter. The tip of the iceberg: Sterling had to play $5 million just for the plaintiffs' attorney fees.

And the coup de grace? Neither that case, nor the more recent one, has qualified as big news.

I think the powers that be in our society have done a great job of convincing people that racism is only evidenced through words like Sterling and Bundy and not actions.

I think the powers that be in our society have done a great job of convincing people that racism is only evidenced through words like Sterling and Bundy and not actions.

And make no mistake...if Sterling had any tangible use for a sports team his words would be forgiven (or at least forgotten). Riley Cooper anyone?

Exactly. just take a look at what's been going on in San Francisco the last few years. The Bleaching of San Francisco: Extreme Gentrification and Suburbanized Poverty in the Bay Area

http://truth-out.org/news/item/23305-the-bleaching-of-san-francisco-extreme-gentrification-and-suburbanized-poverty-in-the-bay

And make no mistake...if Sterling had any tangible use for a sports team his words would be forgiven (or at least forgotten). Riley Cooper anyone?

Hmm. I don't think Riley Cooper's situation is that comparable to Donald Sterlings. All racism is a terrible thing. Cooper Apologized genuinely, it was an isolated incident, at least publically for him, and had the support of most of his teammates. Sterling has not apologized, has repeatedly made racist remark, with actions, and does not have the support of anyone around him, except for his crazy wife? People can make mistakes. Its the heart and attitude exhibited after those mistakes I think that makes the person. I think Riley was just ignorant, and not truly racist. Sterling is racist.

And the powers that be who get to determine who/what is considered racist have done a great job of convincing people that racism is only evidenced thru the behavior of white society.

Newsflash: People care a lot more about sports than they care about public housing.

Great article and a great take by Kareem.

One thing, though - he refers to the tape made by the grilfriend and leaked to the press as an illegal tape. Is it really illegal? I think it depends on the state, but in many places you can legally record a conversation without the other person knowing it, as long as you are a participant in the conversation. I assume this happened in Cali and I don't know the state laws there.

Great article and a great take by Kareem.

One thing, though - he refers to the tape made by the grilfriend and leaked to the press as an illegal tape. Is it really illegal? I think it depends on the state, but in many places you can legally record a conversation without the other person knowing it, as long as you are a participant in the conversation. I assume this happened in Cali and I don't know the state laws there.

Took two seconds on google:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Note: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent. See the State Law: Recording section of this legal guide for information on specific states' wiretapping laws.

"When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Note: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent. See the State Law: Recording section of this legal guide for information on specific states' wiretapping laws."

Kareem has always been a very thoughtful guy. His problem had been being aloof and distant. Until recently, he made it very difficult to get to know him. It's a big reason why he hasn't had a serious job in college or pro basketball.

Kareem has always been a very thoughtful guy. His problem had been being aloof and distant. Until recently, he made it very difficult to get to know him. It's a big reason why he hasn't had a serious job in college or pro basketball.

So he's the black [Redacted]?

hypothetically, what if sterling was leaving a message on her machine and she picked up, and the machine still recorded them? He left the message knowing it was recorded.

And the powers that be who get to determine who/what is considered racist have done a great job of convincing people that racism is only evidenced thru the behavior of white society.

I challenge you to present an equally relevant example of American racism being perpetrated by non-whites.

Newsflash: People care a lot more about sports than they care about public housing.

And this is what's wrong with that (nevermind the obvious that it let Sterling get to this point):

Skip to 4:30 for the best part-

Housing discrimination, as Jones said, is hardly unique to rentiers like Donald Sterling. It is a systemic part of the American economy and a systemic part of American culture. It is a business strategy employed by Wall Street banks and smaller firms alike. It is, in many ways, a plague perpetuated by the policies of the very United States government charged with keeping it from happening and punishing those who practice it.

Sterling’s past legal troubles provide a clear look at what happens to many black families who try to rent homes and apartments in predominately white neighborhoods. But discrimination pervades the entire housing industry, and discrimination in the initial loan process leads to discrimination in every other aspect of housing.

Back