• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in map form yet, but here is the biggest employer for each state:

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/03/19/the-largest-employer-in-each-state-2/

A bunch of states had hospital/health systems or university systems where state schools have multiple campuses. And a few states had a unique employer, like Boeing in WA, a food retailer in NJ and MGM in NV. But for the entire Southern block from VA to FL over to TX plus IL & OH, it's Walmart. In VA, it was the ship yards in Tidewater 30 years ago, then Food Lion like 15-20 years ago, now Walmart. Growing up in Balmur, the docks and Beth Steel used to be huge employers, and now it's the U of Md system. It's not like I didn't realize it before, but this state by state list shows quite starkly that we've become a service economy.

Man. Looking at TN, I remember when Eastman Kodak employed a little over 40,000 as the state's largest employer in the early 90s. Looked at their wiki page and the it looks like they're down to just under 15,000.

#thingnooneelsecaresaboutexceptpossiblytimthedeac

One of the most depressing sights I've seen is that enormous shuttered factory right off the main drag through Elizabethton, TN.

D0q7iuz.jpg

Can we expel Ohio and Kentucky from the U.S.?

Nice to see Devil's Backbone and Flying Dog representing. Though I'm a little jealous of OR - Dead Guy Ale is about my favorite.

I don't buy #9 in VT. Even people there recognize that it's gross.

It's not the most checked-in beers of people in the state, it's the most checked-in beers MADE in the state. What is made in Vermont and more widely distributed than Magic Hat #9?

wasn't someone saying on the sports board how Kentucky players under Cal don't have any connection to the state?

wasn't someone saying on the sports board how Kentucky players under Cal don't have any connection to the state?

One 'hometown' player is an academic all american walk on type, and the other is a 3 star that average 7 min a game. So there's that.

Back