• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

or just invade them. what are they going to do, gesticulate furiously?

These are the world’s 37 largest aquifers - underground supplies of water that people rely on for drinking and agriculture. Some are doing okay - but in the driest part of the world they are being depleted much faster than they are being replenished. (Blue is good, red is bad).

The scariest part? We don’t know how much water is down there, and so we don’t know when it will run out.

Full story here. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...satellites-show-worlds-thirst-for-groundwater

This image was created by scientists at UC Irvine, with data gathered by NASA’s GRACE satellites.

Interesting to see that for the Ogallala aquifer in the midwest. For many years, it was being depleted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

http://grist.org/news/the-pool-of-w...ng-sucked-dry-the-drought-is-making-it-worse/

Here's a similar map from 2012 from the grist.org article I posted above.

aquifers_archive-1024x608.jpeg

A video of a map fly through of a fire that is crushing the area where I grew up. Three firefighters lost their lives yesterday, a growing number of homes lost. Every time I check Facebook, someone else I know is being evacuated. It has been one of the worst fire seasons I can remember.

this is on reddit today. the allied plans for an invasion of the Japanese home islands. Would have been one of the worst, bloodiest invasions ever. as one poster pointed out, women and children were being issued bamboo spears. millions would have been killed. the atomic bombs saved so many lives. (and Japan nearly didn't surrender then...)

Operation_Downfall_-_Map.jpg

eta: "Fun fact", the U.S. made so many Purple Hearts in preparation for the invasion that they only recently started making more. So it's a very, very good chance that any Purple Heart awarded from 1945 through 2010? (Can't remember when they made more) was probably from that preparation batch.

Perhaps some of the people writing this should go and look at that miracle of the 20th century and earlier that gave the earth in true size and proportion called the globe.

The Mercator projection was developed as a maritime navigation tool, nearly 500 years ago, because lines of constant course on the Mercator projection were straight lines. It was well known that the areas were greatly distorted (enlarged) in areas nearer the poles vs those areas nearer the equator.

From NPR: The government has proposed new standards to lower emissions from coal-fueled power plants. But overall, the country is relying less on coal for power. In 40 states, use of coal as a power source (as a share of all power sources) has dropped since 2004. Many of these states are increasingly relying on natural gas instead.

fallback.png

Back