• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

Most popular grocery in each state

screen_shot_2016-01-28_at_6.30.26_pm.png

weis? srsly? Giant > Weis all day long*

*excluding wegmans/trader joes/other superior stores found in urban locales

Really astonishing. Shocking how many went to Brazil/Caribbean. I feel like we don't really learn that in school.

Well Caribbean is really the US, the islands were just our holding grounds.

Brazil kind of surprised me, I wasn't aware the numbers were that high.

tsywake's Awesome Map Thread

The transatlantic slave trade. Every slave ship's voyage in 2 minutes. This is really incredible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._the_history_of_the_atlantic_slave_trade.html

We used this graphic as the anticipatory exercise for our unit of the transatlantic slave trade and mercantilism last semester. It definitely got our kids' attention.

As for Brazil, it was run by the Portuguese. Their main goal was to create a giant plantation colony run by slave labor. European settlement and immigration was not their priority. Similar to the French in Haiti.

Last edited:
Well Caribbean is really the US, the islands were just our holding grounds.

Brazil kind of surprised me, I wasn't aware the numbers were that high.

The Caribbean slaves went to British and French tobacco and sugar cane plantations.

Brazil had more African slaves than any other country.

Last edited:
tsywake's Awesome Map Thread

Slaves from the Caribbean to N. America?

In some instances yes. It was part of the triangular trade of slaves, molasses and rum.

Originally slaves were in higher demand in the sugarcane and molasses plantations of the Caribbean. However the invention of the cotton gin and the growth of the southern colonies/states, accompanied with independence and decolonization of Latin America and the Caribbean, would lead to increased slave trade in the US.

Is it true there was more slave trade to the Middle East than North America?

Albertsons is awesome

albertsons = harris teeter

*eta: i always thought this was the case, but then i've been Wiki-ing it since I posted this and I actually don't think that's the case. However, Albertson's did merge with Safeway in 2015. It's crazy how big all of these networks actually are.

Last edited:
Back