• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

DC in the next to lowest hazard range? #fakenews #imasurvivor

296638_269080073104549_100000076758898_1151113_2824653_n.jpg

believe the epicenter for that one was in that random yellow area, or at least the green one

a single tsar bomba (100mt) surface detonation in downtown atlanta would destroy the city in a fireball and cause severe radiation fallout all the way to maine and hitting most major east coast urban centers.

Depending on the location, you could drop a small nuke on Baltimore City and destroy... not much really.

There's a similar language diagram in the Inforgraphic History of the World, but it's not as pretty.

I have always loved that language family tree. I'm not linguist, but it doesn't show very well the relationship between modern English and its antecedents. Or the relative distance between them (e.g. "Saxon" and "English"). Where's Anglo-Norman and the latinate/french influence on modern English?

I wonder why Basque is not on the tree (unless I'm missing it). They seem to have every other minor European language, and Basque is said to not descend from any other language.

I wonder why Basque is not on the tree (unless I'm missing it). They seem to have every other minor European language, and Basque is said to not descend from any other language.

It's labeled "A Comprehensive Overlook of the Nordic Languages in their Old World Language Families." As an isolate, Basque isn't related to the Nordic languages.

I have always loved that language family tree. I'm not linguist, but it doesn't show very well the relationship between modern English and its antecedents. Or the relative distance between them (e.g. "Saxon" and "English"). Where's Anglo-Norman and the latinate/french influence on modern English?

Lots of that throughout the tree. Punjabi and Hindi are very closely related to the point I can understand both yet they appear to be very far away on tree

Lots of that throughout the tree. Punjabi and Hindi are very closely related to the point I can understand both yet they appear to be very far away on tree

Cheers. I suspected as much, but i don't have the linguistic chops to back up an argument about the entire tree.

Back