• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

When I was at Wake in the late 60's it seemed like half the student body was made up of people from Mass and NJ.

I was at Wake in the mid 80s, and there were a lot of folks from NJ and MD. A big part of it was cost. Wake was US News #1 bargain college at the time at about $8K. I went there because UMd was weak at the time, and Davidson and Wake were half the cost of private schools in the north. But Hearns made sure Wake didn't keep that reputation for long. NJ had the same situation with Rutgers and not much else. So you could go to a good southern school for just a bit more going to a state school back then.

what's across the ocean

imrs.php

Amazing how much warmer Europe is than its NA counterpart.

The warm waters of the Gulf Stream leave the east coast of the US around Cape Hatteras and flow northeast across the Atlantic Ocean to warm Europe. Cold water flows south from the arctic along the eastern seaboard, making the Canadian east coast, New England and the coastal middle Atlantic states colder.

Yep. I knew that. There are palm trees in Ireland. I heard Columbus caught that current back to Europe and arrived in half the time it took to to reach the Americas.

Neat map. I used to sit on the beach as a kid and wonder what was across the water if I went straight across.

When I was a kid, my dad would tell me if I swam away from our beach (Atlantic), I’d end up in Brazil. That boggled my mind as a child.

I like how they had to put Hawaii in parentheses to avoid confusing the rubes.

When I was a kid, my dad would tell me if I swam away from our beach (Atlantic), I’d end up in Brazil. That boggled my mind as a child.

Moving perpendicular to the beach I assume? That could also be a fun map.

Uhhh, The Bahamas, Cuba, and Jamaica are due south of Atlantic Beach, then Colombia. Good luck getting to Brazil unless he was thinking the ocean currents were just going to wash your skeleton up on shore in a couple of years.

That map illustrates how enormous Africa is. Goes from Virginia almost all the way down South America. The Mercator projection is very deceptive.

Back