• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

I'll also note that migration makes this a difficult map to construct because most of our perching bird species in north America migrate to central and south America so there would need to be a temporal or seasonal component of a map like this. For example, here is an awesome map of Wood thrush migration connectivity.

fall-migrationall-birds.jpg

FAKE NEWS. Everyone knows that South America is on the other side of the atlantic

How do birds fly over the GoM without tiring out?

How do birds fly over the GoM without tiring out?

Birds are amazing...that's how. GoM is not really that big compared to some bird flight, at it's widest point north south it's about 800 miles. Here is a map of nine individual bar tailed godwits, smaller than a crow, which had tiny satellite trackers attached to their legs and flew from Alaska to New Zealand/Australia/New Guinea, non-stop. That is >6,800 miles in one go.

silke_figure2_ksm.jpg

They have amazing metabolic systems and spend weeks prior to their flights storing fat, in the last couple days they actually convert the majority of their digestive system to fat too to pack on fuel for the flight. One of the birds I study, Red Knots, migrate from Tierra del Fuego, Argentina to Nuavut, Canada and they stop along the way in places like Delaware Bay making ~1000 mile flights in between stops. They stay in Delaware for about 12 days building fat reserves, they arrive weighing about 110g and depart weighing >180g. So, in less than two weeks they increase their body weight by about 65%, but one bird was recorded doing it in 5 days. I should probably take this to the bird thread though cause I am really geeking out.

From the WFU Twitters:
DlPWXkoWwAAfe2m.jpg

The MAGA crowd can't be happy that the second most repped location is international.

The "South shall rise" crowd can't be happy with those NY/MA/NJ/PA numbers.

Really surprised it's not more NC-centric. I met a lot of people in Maryland who had never heard of us. Kind of figured we were still more well-known regionally. Crazy to see the representation from California and the PNW (as well as those international numbers!).

Really surprised it's not more NC-centric. I met a lot of people in Maryland who had never heard of us. Kind of figured we were still more well-known regionally. Crazy to see the representation from California and the PNW (as well as those international numbers!).

pilchard scratches head

Tuition is seriously $71,700 now? Holy hell, that's awful.

Map from the Berlin State Library - originally printed in 1914. It's interested to see the primary direction that the German and Austrians/Hungarians are looking. In the English speaking world we often fail to properly represent both World Wars and the predominantly eastern focus that the central European powers had in both (and their deep seated fear of Russia which helped initiate both wars).

12207735304_141bf0431c_o.jpg

Map from the Berlin State Library - originally printed in 1914. It's interested to see the primary direction that the German and Austrians/Hungarians are looking. In the English speaking world we often fail to properly represent both World Wars and the predominantly eastern focus that the central European powers had in both (and their deep seated fear of Russia which helped initiate both wars).

12207735304_141bf0431c_o.jpg

i love that Belgium is a gun in the hand of Germany here

Serbia is the land of Pigs, apparently.

A lot of pigs in central Europe. Funny thing is I always thought there were more pigs in Germany than anywhere else in Europe - pork is big in France, Germany, Poland, Denmark and the Czech Republic. According to sporcle, Serbia does not have 1 of the larger pig populations, and its larger and more populous countries to the north and west are some of the larger pork producers.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/worldpigpopulation

FWIW, it's amazing how often South Korea and the Netherlands show up as largest producers of whatever in sporcle as small as both nations are in area.

Serbia is the land of Pigs, apparently.

I had a Serbian friend tell me one time that the lion cannot be the king of all animals, because you cannot eat it. The pig though ...

Serbians consume, per capita, more pork than any other country in the world. They are like Czechs are to beer, lapping the field. The EU as a whole also consumes more pork per capita than the USA.

oK1odTo.jpg

Back