• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Awesome Map Thread

I was at a family friend's house this weekend, and she had an old hand drawn (very well done) map of Europe by her great-great-great-(great? it was a lot of greats)-grandmother. It included two places I had never heard of before: Galicia - not the Spanish province, but part of what is now Poland and Ukraine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Eastern_Europe)); and Courland - now mostly Latvia, I think (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courland). Anyway, it was a cool map. Maybe not quite awesome, but I figured I'd post here anyway.

What's interesting is it seems they're both named Galicia because of Celtic populations; which people typically only associate with Ireland and some of Britain.

Celtic_expansion_in_Europe.png

yellow: the core Hallstatt territory, expansion before 500 BC
light green: maximum Celtic expansion by the 270s BC
dark green: areas that remain Celtic-speaking today

Also TIL Gauls were Celts, and Celts are from the ten lost tribes of Israel.

Also includes the birthplaces of Wake Forest greats Walt Chyzowych and Serge Daniv, so it must be a p sweet place.

Last edited:
What's interesting is it seems they're both named Galicia because of Celtic populations; which people typically only associate with Ireland and some of Britain.

Celtic_expansion_in_Europe.png

yellow: the core Hallstatt territory, expansion before 500 BC
light green: maximum Celtic expansion by the 270s BC
dark green: areas that remain Celtic-speaking today

Also TIL Gauls were Celts, and Celts are from the ten lost tribes of Israel.

yeah there's a soccer team in Galicia Spain called Celta

I knew about the Spanish version, which made more sense to me given the proximity and relative ease of access over water; had no idea about the deep Central/Eastern Europe connection.

And to bring it all around, it's Celta Vigo the Carpathian. (the official name). Or not.

I knew about the Spanish version, which made more sense to me given the proximity and relative ease of access over water; had no idea about the deep Central/Eastern Europe connection.

And to bring it all around, it's Celta Vigo the Carpathian. (the official name). Or not.

t3GUrKq.gif

Not TIL, but a few months ago I learned (so AFMAIL) that the New Testament book "Galatians" was directed to Celts living in (today's) Turkey. My mind was blown.

The general vicinity of Mangalore is equally [very] far from Boston/Seattle/Honolulu. Pretty cool.

Honolulu is a major city?

Honolulu is both City and County. That is to say that the state of Hawai'i does not recognize a smaller "Honolulu City" entity in Honolulu County. (Nor are other "cities" on Oahu recognized by the state).Total population is a little over 950,000 (2010 census). Jacksonville, FL (Duval County) total population is under 900,000. Atlanta city proper is under 500K. Seattle city proper has about 730K residents. So "major" city is in the way you do your statistics.

Last edited:
Back