• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Football Practice

jacketsting

Reaction score
Do any of you insiders have an idea what the summer practice schedules may look like?

When can the freshman start practicing?
Finally found my own answers.

Incoming student athletes may participate only while enrolled and during the period of time their classes are in session. (May 27th)

Mandatory periods can be 8 hrs per wk for a period of 8 wks. 2 hr can be film study and 6 hrs of strength and conditioning.

No skill instruction such as formations, running plays, etc. are allowed.

I believe that is the limit with coaches. I am pretty sure the strength and conditioning staff have significantly more contact.

And it's changed slightly so that kids can do more film work.

Ready for our QBs to get here. Yesterday.

I believe that is the limit with coaches. I am pretty sure the strength and conditioning staff have significantly more contact.

They only have 6 hours a week with strength and conditioning. usually that consists of Mon-Thursday at 1.5 hours a day. Usually you have a "Make-up" day on friday. And you'll do 1 film session of 2 hours or 2 sessions of 1 hour with your coaches. This is strictly monitored. If on Thursday, the strength and conditioning time is getting tight, the head S&C coach will just leave the field at 6hours, but the work is still expected to be done.

Most, if not all players, will stay after those sessions to run routes, 7 on 7, and lineman will work on plays on the side. But no coaches are present, and usually avoid "watching" from outside the building just to be safe.

I assume incoming freshmen are required to attend both summer school sessions?

My gut would be that most of the freshmen won't be able to attend because they won't graduate until June and Summer School starts in May. I know the Florida kids in Jacksonville don't finish until June.

My gut would be that most of the freshmen won't be able to attend because they won't graduate until June and Summer School starts in May. I know the Florida kids in Jacksonville don't finish until June.

Bishop Kenny graduates on May 24.

They only have 6 hours a week with strength and conditioning. usually that consists of Mon-Thursday at 1.5 hours a day. Usually you have a "Make-up" day on friday. And you'll do 1 film session of 2 hours or 2 sessions of 1 hour with your coaches. This is strictly monitored. If on Thursday, the strength and conditioning time is getting tight, the head S&C coach will just leave the field at 6hours, but the work is still expected to be done.

Most, if not all players, will stay after those sessions to run routes, 7 on 7, and lineman will work on plays on the side. But no coaches are present, and usually avoid "watching" from outside the building just to be safe.
Thanks

At most schools the graduation will be in June but the Sr. class will be done a couple weeks before that. I hope all the freshman will be there for the start of classes.

I would hope both would RS.
If the rules had not changed then I would agree with you. Having 16 hours of film study with the coaches prior to practice starting changes everything. One of the two freshman will be ready and I believe they should play. I thought that by week 3 Travis would be ready. Now, I think he may be ready earlier. You would be hard pressed to find a kid that works harder and prepares more. He is a born leader that expects to win. When he takes the field, you will like this kid.

Why would you hope both are worse than Cameron and Sousa?

Everyone loves the incoming frosh, particularly at QB, until they either play or until the next group comes in. We all know that John Wolford and Travis Smith will be far better players in 2018 (when they would be RS SRs) than they will be this September. So, it makes sense to RS them rather to force them in the lineup until the ready. Also, there are very few true frosh QBs that are able to play effectively right away, and the few that do are typically no doubt 5 star recruits, neither Smith nor Wolford are that level of recruit.

FWIW, based upon recruiting rankings, Cameron (# 53 QB in 2012) and Sousa (#42 QB in 2011) are comparable if not more heralded recruits for their classes than Wolford (#60 in 2014) and Smith (#40 in 2014), and Cameron and Sousa are significantly older and stronger than Wolford and Smith are right now. Finally, Cameron and Sousa have had the benefit of Spring practice while Smith and Wolford have not. Really think that those counting on Smith or Wolford coming in and playing well (if they play at all) are going to be very disappointed. Playing QB on high level in college football requires a rare combination of ability, preparation and composure. There just aren't many 18 year-olds that are capable of playing that position competently against older more talented players.

The most amusing thing about this board counting on Smith and Wolford as making a difference this year is that a year from now the same people will be counting on whomever is WF's 2015 QB recruit to step-in that Fall. Playing QB right away is more often the recipe for disaster than success.

It doesn't matter if Wolford or Smith will be far better players by 2018. It matters who the best player is in 2014. Grobe left an empty cupboard. Waiting to fill it doesn't make sense, especially since immediate playing time is likely a good sell to the best recruits. And if things go well by 2018, Clawson may have the next Jameis Winston at QB to beat out redshirt senior Wolford or Smith.

And yes, people will be counting on the 2015 QB. I've already posted a few times that I expect Clawson's real guy at QB may be the 2015 guy that he's had more than just a few weeks to recruit. And I just posted a few minutes ago that QB is a likely position that Clawson will bring two players to fill in 2015.

Clawson is scrambling for talent now. He's getting the best players he can get with hopes that they help elevate the program so he can bring in even better talent going forward. If Wolford and/or Smith play as true frosh next year because they're better than Cameron and Sousa, then get beat out by an even better true frosh in 2015, that is a good thing.

What is the basis to assume that Wolford or Smith are the best WF QB in 2014? Again, other than the elite few, like Matt Barclay (#1 rated QB in 2009), Terrell Pryor (#1 rated QB in 2008), Robert Griffin (#12 rated QB in 2008), true freshman are almost always awful at QB. Here is an article analyzing the sad history of CFB teams that start true frosh at QB: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/brief-history-true-freshman-quarterbacks

As previously stated, Cameron and Sousa are comparably rated as HS recruits than Wolford and Smith and Cameron and Sousa are older, stronger and more experienced. The only rationale in support of starting Wolford or Smith is that the claim that they can't be as bad Cameron and Sousa because no one has seen them play against D-1 college football players. That is not a logical leap.

Well if we are going to be bad anyway, might as well start a frosh that will be here a while and build from there. If the differences between the frosh and Cameron/Sousa are as small as expected, I'd take that option.

Back