• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Football Practice

Yeah, Jones was burried on the depth chart at Memphis. And I'm pretty sure Memphis sucked that year, too.

And he was behind Stachites, who quite frankly, could not throw the football.

Wake corners the market on QB's who cannot throw.

LOL. No.

Well I do think we would have had the same record in 2010, but the point is that in 2011 Tanner threw for 20 TD's and only had 6 INTs while putting up a 132.8 rating on the year and I think that's due in large part to his experience playing as a freshman. The argument isn't if we are going to be bad with these QB's, we most assuredly are with any of them, the argument is that playing a true freshman this year could get invaluable experience leading into the next three years.

I do see both sides though that he could be a redshirt freshman and then have four years, but there's no telling what would have happened from there.

Is there any evidence this is true?

Based on the success you see redshirt freshmen QBs having, I'm not sure actually playing as a true frosh is any more valuable than learning in practice during a redshirt year. Which is why it's generally a rule of thumb to redshirt quarterbacks their first year.

Last edited:
Cameron played against the 1st team D and Sousa played against the 2nd team D. The comparison is not apt. If Sousa is the best QB, he should start.

Couple of things. First Sousa was playing behind the 2nd string of a bad OL, and second, Sousa ended up playing as much with the first team as Cameron did in the spring game.

Sousa possesses the athleticism and size to be a good QB, IMO. He is a project for the staff; but he ran at will and completed a number of passes against our #1 defensive backfield. I see this as the coaches first big test.

Saginaw Valley State, Northern Michigan and Adrian College. The fourth one was Jake Smith (So.). He will be the QB next year.

Interesting. Those guys have great hands, are they just slow, short? Is Smith just throwing them open, bad defense?

Interesting. Those guys have great hands, are they just slow, short? Is Smith just throwing them open, bad defense?

I can't imagine many HS QBs throw to 3 guys going to college to play football the next year. That confirms your thoughts that his WR corps was very good.

None of the guys were rated by the so called experts. Logan Hessbrook is 6' 3" 185, 4.63 - 40, 31" vert., Josh Hafner 6' 2" 180, 4.59 - 40, 34" vert. and Eli Vllalobos 5" 9" 160, 4.6 - 40, 36" vert. They are all great kids with great hands. I think the thing that hurt them is for the most part they only had the one year of experience. Josh started on a run oriented team his junior year before transferring and the other two were back up receivers their jr. years. Nowadays, teams want to offer after a players jr. year. These young men will do very well at div. II and div. III.

It doesn't. This is a unique situation. You're the one who said it was unlikely a true frosh would beat out more experienced similarly ranked players and I showed you that Price did exactly that.

Clawson has made it clear that the best QB will play. We should all hope that the best QB is a good QB who will help us win games.

No, he didn't. Stachitas was injured (twice). Price might have ultimately done it, but the way it happened was directly due to injury. Stachitas was the starting QB prior to injury.

No, he didn't. Stachitas was injured (twice). Price might have ultimately done it, but the way it happened was directly due to injury. Stachitas was the starting QB prior to injury.

Pretty sure they burned Price's shirt in game 1. It was only a matter of time. Has Stachitas' shoulder not been destroyed, then who knows.

Back