• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

income inequality debate

Posted again so you have another chance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ers-and-poverty-is-not-as-simple-as-it-seems/

"It's tempting to look at the tidy pattern above and conclude that the breakdown of marriage causes poverty, perpetuating inequality. "

"It's true that marriage can bring stability and emotional benefits to the children of middle- and upper-class families. But that's not because the institution of marriage itself is universally beneficial. It's because certain kinds of marriages are beneficial, such as those between adults who don't have to worry about getting evicted, who can afford to pay their medical bills, who don't contend with the surrounding stresses of violence or joblessless or having to get to work without a car."

"The problem," Ohio State sociologist Kristi Williams recently told me, "is that there’s no evidence that the kind of marriages that poor, single parents enter into will have these same benefits."

From the two people who ran the study:

" This is a correlation; it is not necessarily evidence of causation. It doesn’t mean that if we somehow paired up single mothers with a partner, then suddenly inequality would go down."

Of course I feel like I should clarify that I do think marriage is ultimately good for stability and society as a whole, but I do not really think it is an independent variable to income disparity and future prosperity's dependent variable.

Of course I feel like I should clarify that I do think marriage is ultimately good for stability and society as a whole, but I do not really think it is an independent variable to income disparity and future prosperity's dependent variable.

Everybody knows that low income taxes on the rich is the only independent variable causing income disparity.

You don't say...

Decent wage jobs for the working class do amazing things for society, and for marriage. I've seen lots of cases where a fella gets a good job and then BAM, he gets a wife.

Never seen getting a wife ever get a fella a job.

Everybody knows that low income taxes on the rich is the only independent variable causing income disparity.

DIlbert-fallacies.gif

Decent wage jobs for the working class do amazing things for society, and for marriage. I've seen lots of cases where a fella gets a good job and then BAM, he gets a wife.

See Kiffin, Lane.

I just don't get your point JHMD. What is so magical about marriage that poor people marrying other poor people is going to make their kids have a better chance at succeeding in the future when there's an above 50% chance that they'll get divorced anyway?

I just don't get your point JHMD. What is so magical about marriage that poor people marrying other poor people is going to make their kids have a better chance at succeeding in the future when there's an above 50% chance that they'll get divorced anyway?

My point isn't designed to confuse anybody. If you were trying to help someone else build a life of prosperity for themselves and their families, the cornerstones are family and education. They are to a standard of living what diet and exercise are to weight loss. Any other quick fixes are unsustainable short cuts.

Kirk: You're letting me go?

Cracker Factory Executive: Kirk, crackers are a family food, happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without.

Kirk: So, that's it after 20 years? "So long. Good luck?"

Cracker Factory Executive: I don't recall saying "good luck."

My point isn't designed to confuse anybody. If you were trying to help someone else build a life of prosperity for themselves and their families, the cornerstones are family and education. They are to a standard of living what diet and exercise are to weight loss. Any other quick fixes are unsustainable short cuts.

Family is usually a result and not a cause. People who are more stable financially are more likely to get married. Not the opposite. Not sure why so hard to understand.

Family is usually a result and not a cause. People who are more stable financially are more likely to get married. Not the opposite. Not sure why so hard to understand.

This. AAs were more stable financially in the 1950s and 1960s and married at a much higher rate due to their position of economic dominance at the time.

Back