• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

income inequality debate

I for one am shocked that a program that insures people over the age of 65’s medical care results in a lot of billing.

What does income coming from a government reimbursement program have to do with the value of a service provided or the cost incurred to get qualified to provide those services?

I don't think our tax dollars should be contributing to making doctors rich.

No. Tax dollars should be used to fulfill the limited, enumerated functions of our government.

And you don’t think those functions keep or make people rich.

I can’t tell if you’re naive or trolling.

And you don’t think those functions keep or make people rich.

I can’t tell if you’re naive or trolling.

Perhaps you know more rich people than me, so feel free to weigh in, but in my experience dealing with the government is seldom a long-term plan for excellence and prosperity. We have the greatest economy in the world for that.

Perhaps you know more rich people than me, so feel free to weigh in, but in my experience dealing with the government is seldom a long-term plan for excellence and prosperity. We have the greatest economy in the world for that.

Seems to be going pretty well for weapons manufacturers.

And banks. And automakers, and farmers, and oil and gas interests, and…

Lol in this thread jh and Junebug learn that tax dollars are spent on goods and services, often produced by people which then means those people have money

I don't think our tax dollars should be contributing to making doctors rich.

Medicare probably keeps the prices Drs. charge lower than they would otherwise be. Without the Government program Drs. would charge like Lawyers do, for a service that is actually much more valuable to people and one that everyone requires.

The government just happens to insure a shit ton of people that require medical care because well they are old so they pay a lot cumulatively. At the same time individual Medicare pays out less than other insurance so in reality you are already getting away from conservatives favorite thing, free markets. It’s like saying a doctor that works for the VA that’s paid $350-400,000 is paid too much because it’s the government, but that’s what it takes to get a qualified doctor to work a specialty.

The government just happens to insure a shit ton of people that require medical care because well they are old so they pay a lot cumulatively. At the same time individual Medicare pays out less than other insurance so in reality you are already getting away from conservatives favorite thing, free markets. It’s like saying a doctor that works for the VA that’s paid $350-400,000 is paid too much because it’s the government, but that’s what it takes to get a qualified doctor to work a specialty.

I mean, the purpose of the program is not to enrich doctors, it's to keep old people from becoming poor, or dying because they can't afford a doctor.

And Medicare is pretty good…infinitely better than what senior citizens would have if it didn’t exist…but needs to be a good bit better.

We actually need more and better regulation of health insurance rather than less.

But we definitely need a good (regulated) insurance mechanism if everyone is going to have good and personally affordable access to good care.

Back