• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

I hadn't been to the IHOP at the "tailgate town" intersection for several years, but when I was a student I was a semi-regular. Was hoping another restaurant would take that space, but I heard tonight a hookah bar is slated to go there :(

Went to Small Batch last night. Pretty good, but they were out of the 2 dishes I wanted (at 6:30PM).

As an FYI for those that enjoyed the Deacon Tower Grill when it was run by Catered Affairs, they have recently opened at the old Chop House location downtown on Main St. I took my family to dinner there this past weekend and we had a fabulous dinner, at a very reasonable price considering the excellent quality of the meal. They also have free valet parking which makes it a convenient dining stop. The appetizers are all outstanding, and I especially enjoyed their wings which match any around. Dinners include the usual steak entree, but they also had a variety of specialty dishes which all looked excellent, and the ones that our table tried were first class. To top it off, I believe that the desert menu is as good as any I have seen in the Triad, and I can say first hand that they are all phenomenal since we ordered one of each for all of us to sample at our table. Great place for a business meeting or a date night, and it's owned and operated by fellow Deacs!

Any folks on here got any suggestions for a Burlington restaurant that would be good for a date between 2 twenty-somethings? I was familiar with the area as of 5 years ago but with all the growth I was wondering if there were any new cool restaurants. Something that isnt a chain, fun, good food but not insanely pricey?

Any folks on here got any suggestions for a Burlington restaurant that would be good for a date between 2 twenty-somethings? I was familiar with the area as of 5 years ago but with all the growth I was wondering if there were any new cool restaurants. Something that isnt a chain, fun, good food but not insanely pricey?

Preggos(sp?) is very good Italian place in Burlington.

The Root in Elon, NC is really good, fresh food, and reasonably priced. Also, I second Prego's.

New place going in former Leon's location in West Salem. From the Journal:

The location most recently housed Freddie on Marshall’s, but previously was the site of Marshall St. Smokehouse and Leon’s.

Chef Michael Burton co-owns the restaurant with Tony Hartsoe.

Burton said he wanted to have a space downtown as a base for his catering business, Chef Michael Creations, which he has run since 2008.

Burton described Savor’s menu as “classy Southern.”

Entrees, which range from $8.50 to $21.95, include a bone-in chipotle pork chop, seafood-stuff salmon, and bacon-wrapped, herb-cheese-stuffed chicken breast.. Signature side dishes include bella (tomato) pie and sweet-potato dumplings.

Desserts, made in-house, include lemon pie and blackberry wine cake.

The restaurant is open Wednesday through Sunday. Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and dinner is served from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Sunday brunch is from 11 a.m,. to 2 p.m.

Savor has full ABC permits and an espresso bar.

Burton said he plans to offer live jazz on some nights, as well as have a gospel brunch.

“We want to be a neighborhood place, like the Cheers of West Salem,” he said.

For more information, call (336) 814-2015 or visit www.savorthemoment.ws or Savor on Facebook

New place going in former Leon's location in West Salem. From the Journal:

The location most recently housed Freddie on Marshall’s, but previously was the site of Marshall St. Smokehouse and Leon’s.

Chef Michael Burton co-owns the restaurant with Tony Hartsoe.

Burton said he wanted to have a space downtown as a base for his catering business, Chef Michael Creations, which he has run since 2008.

Burton described Savor’s menu as “classy Southern.”

Entrees, which range from $8.50 to $21.95, include a bone-in chipotle pork chop, seafood-stuff salmon, and bacon-wrapped, herb-cheese-stuffed chicken breast.. Signature side dishes include bella (tomato) pie and sweet-potato dumplings.

Desserts, made in-house, include lemon pie and blackberry wine cake.

The restaurant is open Wednesday through Sunday. Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and dinner is served from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Sunday brunch is from 11 a.m,. to 2 p.m.

Savor has full ABC permits and an espresso bar.

Burton said he plans to offer live jazz on some nights, as well as have a gospel brunch.

“We want to be a neighborhood place, like the Cheers of West Salem,” he said.

For more information, call (336) 814-2015 or visit www.savorthemoment.ws or Savor on Facebook

SBTtoy and I went here for brunch today, there were surprisingly only a few people there. Pretty good menu, had some good chicken & waffles for $6. Intending to head back for lunch sometime next week.

I went to Bernardin's next door to the Filling Station for lunch the other day and it was EXCELLENT. Great seared tuna salad appetizer and dinner-sized lunch portions with many entrees costing $10 or $11.

Speaking of Filling Station, I heard a rumor that they're planning to shut down so the owners can focus more on Jeffrey Adams. Would be sad if true.

Last edited:
I went to Bernardin's next door to the Filling Station for lunch the other day and it was EXCELLENT. Great seared tuna salad appetizer and dinner-sized lunch portions with many entrees costing $10 or $11.

Speaking of Filling Station, I heard a rumor that they're planning to shut down so the owners can focus more on Jeffrey Adams. Would be sad if true.

Have eaten at Filling Station for a number of years. It is now in DESPERATE need of a major overhaul.

Have eaten at Filling Station for a number of years. It is now in DESPERATE need of a major overhaul.

If I remember correctly the original owner died a few years ago at a fairly young age. Not sure what happened after that but I was under the impression they were going to try to keep the restaurant in the family.

I finally tried that Cafeagency place in GSO that had the promotions for saying "fire bz" during the ACC tourney. Loved it! I wish I had gotten there sooner but I will definitely be back.

That bums me out. The Filling Station is my jam. We went a couple of weeks ago and it seemed pretty crowded... Never had a bad meal there.

I find that hard to believe. There always seem to be good crowds there - outside at least. Regarding the question posed, I believe the surviving wife sold the restaurant.

As an FYI for those that enjoyed the Deacon Tower Grill when it was run by Catered Affairs, they have recently opened at the old Chop House location downtown on Main St. I took my family to dinner there this past weekend and we had a fabulous dinner, at a very reasonable price considering the excellent quality of the meal. They also have free valet parking which makes it a convenient dining stop. The appetizers are all outstanding, and I especially enjoyed their wings which match any around. Dinners include the usual steak entree, but they also had a variety of specialty dishes which all looked excellent, and the ones that our table tried were first class. To top it off, I believe that the desert menu is as good as any I have seen in the Triad, and I can say first hand that they are all phenomenal since we ordered one of each for all of us to sample at our table. Great place for a business meeting or a date night, and it's owned and operated by fellow Deacs!

What's the atmosphere inside like? Name?

What's the atmosphere inside like? Name?

One of the most beautiful restaurants in the Triad. Has the look and feel of a Country Club but is very comfortably casual as well. Varied menu with reasonably good pricing and exceptional food and service. Nice wine list that is also priced well.
It's called Phoenix Grille Downtown. PhoenixGrille.us.com

Back