• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Been forever but went to Brown Gardiner for lunch today. Old school awesomeness

I'll bump this. Any thoughts or recs on Chinese food either in Winston-Salem or in Charlotte or somewhere in between?

Also just opening is West Salem Public House, new bar in West Salem just outside of downtown.

I'll bump this. Any thoughts or recs on Chinese food either in Winston-Salem or in Charlotte or somewhere in between?

Sampan on Peter's Creek is the undisputed champion for Cantonese Chinese in Winston. Captain Chen's on Battleground is the undisputed champion for authentic Chinese comfort food. There is not Japanese food in Winston; Asahi is pretty much your only Japanese option in GSO. Korean in GSO is easy mode with many good options.

I will fite those with differing opinions.

Zanzibar African Cafe in NoDa is delicious. It's a little hole in the wall place with 3 tables. I got the Liberian style Jollof rice with chicken, beef, and turkey, and it's amazing. Bonus, their restaurant hot sauce will light your ass up. My wife got the rotisserie curry chicken and black beans, and it looked great.

Looks like a fast casual burger place (BurgerIM) is going in 923’s old Los Gordos stomping grounds on battleground. Looks like a national franchiser expanding like crazy. Lots of Cali/TX locations. Anyone ever try one?

BTW the Joymongers near Tap Room / Opera House is open.

I went Friday...like it a lot. One big, open room with garage doors to be opened. Long picnic table seating. Rotating food trucks. The formula isn't exactly unique, but good beer and selfishly, close to home.

I went Friday...like it a lot. One big, open room with garage doors to be opened. Long picnic table seating. Rotating food trucks. The formula isn't exactly unique, but good beer and selfishly, close to home.

Would say the beer is better than wiseman and fiddlin fish (the other two new breweries downtown). Atmosphere is largely the same, very much enjoyed it.

The first time I walked into Fiddlin Fish, I thought I had accidentally stepped into Wiseman.

Sampan on Peter's Creek is the undisputed champion for Cantonese Chinese in Winston. Captain Chen's on Battleground is the undisputed champion for authentic Chinese comfort food. There is not Japanese food in Winston; Asahi is pretty much your only Japanese option in GSO. Korean in GSO is easy mode with many good options.

I will fite those with differing opinions.

i still haven't tried captain chen's. looks like they don't do delivery. what are some good dishes that I should try there? all other GSO chinese is ass.

i still haven't tried captain chen's. looks like they don't do delivery. what are some good dishes that I should try there? all other GSO chinese is ass.

Any understanding of New York Chinese isn't going to help you at Captain Chens. I fucking love NY Chinese, but Chens doesn't have as much Americanization in it. I like to get between 6-8 people together when I go, then family-style something like this:

Bone-in chicken in onion oil; Spicy Beef & Tripe for starters

Entree's:
Braised Beef w. Potatoes
Shredded Pork in Home Style Garlic Sauce
Crispy Fried Ribs (holy fuck yes)
Half a duck
Spicy Cripsy Fish
Mapo Tofu (This is just straight fucking China; the lip/tongue-numbing is clutch)
Stir fried Chinese cabbage
Chongquing style veggy noodles

Sometimes they have a special on the board that's a resounding yes to swap out the duck or something else. We typically have left overs, but that's not a huge issue, because it all keeps.

What is the deal with parking? Are there just the 5-10 spots out front or otherwise find some street parking in West End?

What is the deal with parking? Are there just the 5-10 spots out front or otherwise find some street parking in West End?

Pretty sure you can park on the streets around Hanes Park as long as you’re not an asshole about it. Or you could use the public lot by the Y. Dunno if I would do that at night though.

Is the cook-out at Publix in Clemmons confirmed? I know they once looked at a spot near where Allegacy is but backed out, that was right about the time Dairi-O announced, or maybe it was Chick-fil-a. Figured it was the competition that drove them out, but an out-parcel at Publix is a much better location than way back on a side street.

Also, RIP Peters Creek Hero House, one on Stratford will stay open.

Not sure it will be Cookout. Lot of speculation because it has long been rumored and the shopping center map says “burger” lease. Triad bus journals had an article that said Habit Burger Grill was listed as a tenant. Never heard of it but a CR survey had it listed number 1 just edging out In and Out.

Thanks for that update. Would be good to have the option of a Habit Burger since there's a Cook-Out not far away on Hanes Mall Blvd. but either would be a nice addition.

Back