• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

You should try Hops. BBS is swill compared to Hops.

Oh, I've been to Hops and Emma Keys and both are excellent, but a little too far for us to drive for lunch since we are in Jamestown. So, BBS it is again today!

Oh, I've been to Hops and Emma Keys and both are excellent, but a little too far for us to drive for lunch since we are in Jamestown. So, BBS it is again today!

Jamestown isn’t far!

On another topic, I visited Leven Eleven Bewery tonight. They’re still working on the locale, but the beer is good. It’s a side business of Big Dan’s Brew Shed.

I hear there are folks interested in bringing Chilli Bordello back to downtown Winston-Salem. I thought maybe Harv or some older townies had some memories of the previous establishment...

Jamestown isn’t far!

On another topic, I visited Leven Eleven Bewery tonight. They’re still working on the locale, but the beer is good. It’s a side business of Big Dan’s Brew Shed.

Locale was awful and beer was mediocre when I went the first week it opened. Assume beer has gotten better with more batches but they need to do something about that place. The bathrooms take up about 1/3 of the space for customers. Should have kept the kegs in the brew shed and run tap lines through the wall. Move the bathrooms to the back.

Stopped at the HP Burger Batch on the way home from a soccer game this weekend and it was solid. Good burger, cooked to perfect mid-rare, great bun, not an atrocious amount of fries on the plate, and a good price. Not the best burger I've ever had, but no slouch. I'll give it a B overall, and A for value. One day I'll get downtown to the original, but I just don't go into DTWS too much these days.

Went to Basil Leaf in the new shopping center in High Point (the one with the Burger Batch). Asian fusion; thai and japanese.

It was awesome. Great food. Pretty upscale for Thursday night dinner. Nothing crazy, but still very nice.

Agreed, while the quality is obviously better than Jimmy John's, spending $11 for the Rueben after tax, and then a couple bucks for for side and drink was too much, but I am kinda cheap.

Oh, and the Subway on 4th closed too and consolidated with the one on 3rd, not that I went there much but was an easy quick option. Waldo's cannot open soon enough.

I peered through the windows of the old Skippy's Hot Dogs on my walk to Foothills on Tuesday. Unfortunately, from what I could see through the holes in the brown wrapping paper covering the windows, I saw nothing to indicate that Waldo's would be opening anytime soon. It did not appear to me that much, if anything, had been done. It seemed empty other than some appliances and tables left over from Skippy's. Has anyone heard anything regarding the status of Waldo's opening? Months ago the paper indicated that it would open in late March.

I peered through the windows of the old Skippy's Hot Dogs on my walk to Foothills on Tuesday. Unfortunately, from what I could see through the holes in the brown wrapping paper covering the windows, I saw nothing to indicate that Waldo's would be opening anytime soon. It did not appear to me that much, if anything, had been done. It seemed empty other than some appliances and tables left over from Skippy's. Has anyone heard anything regarding the status of Waldo's opening? Months ago the paper indicated that it would open in late March.

It's happening. My wife is doing some marketing/social media consulting with the owners. I'll see if I can get a date. She meets with them the first week of June.

It's happening. My wife is doing some marketing/social media consulting with the owners. I'll see if I can get a date. She meets with them the first week of June.

Thanks, Mash. Looking forward to having Waldo's conveniently located 3 blocks from my office.

Per the wife, Skippy's is supposed to re-open in August.

I'd just as soon have it be WW, that also serves burgers and dogs. They've already ruined the Skippy's name, I went twice and had two awful lunches. Just leave it alone.

Uncle Buzzy’s Fried Food, a new takeout concept by Dave Hillman, will open next month at 1510 W. First St., next to First Street Draught House.

Hillman describes Uncle Buzzy’s as “creative carnival fare,” but it is really more than that. Yes, it will offer up funnel cakes and fried candy bars. But the heart of the menu will be the roast beef, pork and chicken sandwiches, as well as footlong hot dogs. The beef and pork will be slow-roasted in house. The chicken sandwiches will be made with 6-ounce boneless thighs. It will also serve shakes and creative ice-cream tacos. Uncle Buzzy’s is set to open July 16.

Back