• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Didn't the Rose and Thistle relocate or re-open for a few years over in the shopping center across the street from the Waldo's shopping center?

Yeah, they were open my first year or two of school '97-'98 in that shopping center with the Lowes Foods, but it was a terrible location back in the corner. They even moved the booths and menus over. I loved the Rose and Thistle. I used to walk down there often when I was growing up in the West End. Lot of those places mentioned above: OG West End Cafe and Rainbow were two of my spots, as well.

That's a bummer about First Street, too.

Yeah, they were open my first year or two of school '97-'98 in that shopping center with the Lowes Foods, but it was a terrible location back in the corner. They even moved the booths and menus over. I loved the Rose and Thistle. I used to walk down there often when I was growing up in the West End. Lot of those places mentioned above: OG West End Cafe and Rainbow were two of my spots, as well.

That's a bummer about First Street, too.

Yeah, as a townie, I spent quite a few Thursday's in my twenties at First Street. When I worked at Wake Health, I'd walk down there and grab a wrap every now and then for lunch. Food was really good!

We went on Monday at 2 to try and avoid the lunch crowd. They were doing what seemed decent business for that time of day but there were plenty of empty tables.

We each tried a savory crepe and split a sweet one. They were all good with fresh looking and tasting ingredients. The savory ones seemed to have some cooked cheese slightly dusting or crusting the outside. I think I’d rather skip that part.

The sweet one was an “original” crepe with strawberries, bananas, Nutella, and whipped cream. It was very good.

The place looks and feels great. We spoke with the owner—was very friendly. Says he plans to add a number of traditional German dishes by winter, expanding beyond crepes. And beer. I assume wine as well.

We’ll definitely go again.

Went to Burgerim in Greensboro today (opened monday).

Burgers (sliders) weren't too bad - definitely had to get 2 of them. Lots of different patty type options (I had lamb and dry aged beef) and they were pretty good. Their fries are basically a combination of a chip and a fry but they gave a decent sized portion.

Fun concept but nothing earth shattering. I know it's their 3rd day but it took forever to get our food. Probably waited a half hour after ordering (and it's an order in line then sit down type place where you'd expect a lot quicker turnaround).

I'd go back, but doesn't touch the other burger places in town.

I can't believe somebody would want to open a new burger place in Greensboro

Greensboro is in desperate need of a rock solid Italian place (pastabilities is great to just sit down or whatever, don't get me wrong) and a rock solid wing place (Mac's speed shop has great wings, but they are smoked, not fried).

Waldo's could come to GSO and DOMINATE the wing scene.

Rody’s wings are excellent. The rest of the food is pretty meh. Good beer selection too.

Greensboro is in desperate need of a rock solid Italian place (pastabilities is great to just sit down or whatever, don't get me wrong) and a rock solid wing place (Mac's speed shop has great wings, but they are smoked, not fried).

Waldo's could come to GSO and DOMINATE the wing scene.

Most of the Elizabeth's Pizza locations are better than Pastabilities IMO. Elizabeth's consistently has some of the freshest ingredients in town, especially for salads. I have heard good things about Salvino's but I've never eaten there.

Rody’s wings are excellent. The rest of the food is pretty meh. Good beer selection too.

This, pick up wings to go home is the only good thing about Rody's. Wings are decent, but a good wing place in Greensboro is severely lacking. I used to like Buffalo's on Battleground, but they changed management and the wings sucked, then they closed.

Most of the Elizabeth's Pizza locations are better than Pastabilities IMO. Elizabeth's consistently has some of the freshest ingredients in town, especially for salads. I have heard good things about Salvino's but I've never eaten there.

Salvino's FTW best Italian in town

salvino is awesome. get chad as your waiter

Last edited:
We try to eat pretty low carb. That pretty much keeps me out of Italian restaurants. It sucks to sit there eating a salad (even a good one) whilst surrounded by pizza and mouthwatering pasta dishes. Italian food is probably the thing I miss most about cutting carbs. Haven't been in Positano's in years, used to go all the time.

Apparently Marty Kotis is going to tear down Osteria and build a Publix, wonder if they'll find a place to relocate.

Went to Burgerim in Greensboro today (opened monday).

Burgers (sliders) weren't too bad - definitely had to get 2 of them. Lots of different patty type options (I had lamb and dry aged beef) and they were pretty good. Their fries are basically a combination of a chip and a fry but they gave a decent sized portion.

Fun concept but nothing earth shattering. I know it's their 3rd day but it took forever to get our food. Probably waited a half hour after ordering (and it's an order in line then sit down type place where you'd expect a lot quicker turnaround).

I'd go back, but doesn't touch the other burger places in town.

What a horrible name for a restaurant.

Looks like there are plans to renovate L.A. Reynolds with a high end restaurant, a brewery and taproom, an outdoor beer garden, dog park, wine bar/deli, hops growing operation and additional retail and apartments.

Don't remember the name but there's a small ramen spot in the Super G shopping center on Market that's pretty good. Need to get back over there.
Sana'a Yemeni restaurant is next door and is very good. Cross between Egyptian & Indian food. Highly recommend
fd20d035ced3bf259afa8e461ab267f0.jpg
9545678a3d57a098211a8de1682619f2.jpg

There's apparently another Burger chain coming to Greensboro. Do people not do Advanced Scouting For oversaturation of burger restaurants?

Back