• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Just when you didn't think the Greensboro dining scene couldn't get any more woke/delicious, they now have a pizza place with a Ryan Adams themed menu! They need a kids menu item named after that underage girl he tried to bang.

That one girl? They NYT recently uncovered a series of women who claimed he was abusive.

That's sticks & stones. they've had that same menu since the place opened years and years ago. Honestly I had no idea until this thread that those loopy menu names had anything to do with Ryan Adams (I did not know who Ryan Adams was until he got busted as a serial woman abuser). Pizza's good but yeah they need to change that for sure.

To be Young To be Sad To Be High that he wrote with David Rawlings a a great song however.
[video=youtube;Er-3YLVIONc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Er-3YLVIONc[/video]

That's sticks & stones. they've had that same menu since the place opened years and years ago. Honestly I had no idea until this thread that those loopy menu names had anything to do with Ryan Adams (I did not know who Ryan Adams was until he got busted as a serial woman abuser). Pizza's good but yeah they need to change that for sure.

Yeah, I don't think he ever played in Greensboro for some reason.

Uncle Buzzy’s fried carnival food closed.

Uncle Buzzy’s fried carnival food closed.

From owner Dave Hillman- "Now that I let the dust settle, I think it's time to hear straight from the horse's mouth (?) the reason's Uncle Buzzy's has officially closed. It's pretty simple actually, we were unable to gain any traction to make it a profitable business. Let me go on record to state that it was not the Business 40 closing that caused Buzzy's to fail! Rather it was several misguided decisions made by me. I know it's a rarity for most people, but I do take full responsibility for my mistakes. First and foremost, I believe I picked a very poor location. I thought with a very large employer right behind us (Hospital) and a busy traffic count in front of us (1st Street), this was a no brainer. I was wrong. We had a difficult time getting people to actually stop and get out of their cars to check us out. My second mistake was the business model. I designed this as a take-out restaurant similar to Buzzy's Roast Beef in Boston. Only problem was the city's population and late night business was not quite up to what you'd find in Boston. Whoops! If you don't have seating, you darn well better have a drive-thru these days. Strike two. My last major mistake I believe has to do with branding. We billed it as a Fried Food restaurant specializing in Carnival Fare. In reality, what we specialized in was hot roast beef sandwiches, griddle burgers, Nathan Hot Dogs and Fried Chicken sandwiches. We did everything large, from scratch and with a twist. Yes we had fried foods, but that was only a component of our menu. The carnival fare, things like turkey legs, funnel cakes and fried Oreos made up only a small portion of our menu. This was a learning experience, and I'm not one to let a "bump in the road" get me down. Without challenges, what fun would life be?!! As far as Uncle Buzzy's goes, he's not dead. Probably just taking a vacation (Something I've been known to do!) until another opportunity presents itself. In the meantime, keep an eye on work beginning on the corner of 1st and Hawthorne. I have big plans for that building. Thanks again for all your kind words (Mostly...Lol) and keep believing in Winston-Salem. I do!"

From owner Dave Hillman- "Now that I let the dust settle, I think it's time to hear straight from the horse's mouth (?) the reason's Uncle Buzzy's has officially closed. It's pretty simple actually, we were unable to gain any traction to make it a profitable business. Let me go on record to state that it was not the Business 40 closing that caused Buzzy's to fail! Rather it was several misguided decisions made by me. I know it's a rarity for most people, but I do take full responsibility for my mistakes. First and foremost, I believe I picked a very poor location. I thought with a very large employer right behind us (Hospital) and a busy traffic count in front of us (1st Street), this was a no brainer. I was wrong. We had a difficult time getting people to actually stop and get out of their cars to check us out. My second mistake was the business model. I designed this as a take-out restaurant similar to Buzzy's Roast Beef in Boston. Only problem was the city's population and late night business was not quite up to what you'd find in Boston. Whoops! If you don't have seating, you darn well better have a drive-thru these days. Strike two. My last major mistake I believe has to do with branding. We billed it as a Fried Food restaurant specializing in Carnival Fare. In reality, what we specialized in was hot roast beef sandwiches, griddle burgers, Nathan Hot Dogs and Fried Chicken sandwiches. We did everything large, from scratch and with a twist. Yes we had fried foods, but that was only a component of our menu. The carnival fare, things like turkey legs, funnel cakes and fried Oreos made up only a small portion of our menu. This was a learning experience, and I'm not one to let a "bump in the road" get me down. Without challenges, what fun would life be?!! As far as Uncle Buzzy's goes, he's not dead. Probably just taking a vacation (Something I've been known to do!) until another opportunity presents itself. In the meantime, keep an eye on work beginning on the corner of 1st and Hawthorne. I have big plans for that building. Thanks again for all your kind words (Mostly...Lol) and keep believing in Winston-Salem. I do!"

Good for him. I’ve been wondering what is planned for Hawthorne and 1st. Wonder what he has planned?

We had finally stopped in Uncle Buzzy's a few weeks ago after a Dash game to get a funnel cake. It was good, but took a long time. I was surprised by the full menu and there were several things I wanted to try some other time. Definitely looking forward to see what goes in to the former Draft House location. Maybe he can put one of those roast beef sandwiches on the menu there.

We had finally stopped in Uncle Buzzy's a few weeks ago after a Dash game to get a funnel cake. It was good, but took a long time. I was surprised by the full menu and there were several things I wanted to try some other time. Definitely looking forward to see what goes in to the former Draft House location. Maybe he can put one of those roast beef sandwiches on the menu there.

He's working on the building on the SE corner of the intersection - not at Draft House, though I've heard from multiple industry folks that Dave was largely responsible for 1st St closing when he put an end to the informal shared parking arrangement that 1st St depended on....so Dave's carnival concept killed two restaurants.

Thought the couple that owned Draft House closed to focus on the pimento cheese business

Thought the couple that owned Draft House closed to focus on the pimento cheese business

Pretty sure it’s both, but losing the shared lot precipitated the desire to focus on the pimento cheese biz. Spoke to an employee at First St right before they closed who said losing that lot made the business untenable, so the owners decided to put 100% into their pimento cheese business. Which sucked big time because First Street was one of the best bar/bar food spots in town.

Sucks he did that, because Sokolove is sadly correct, he is probably responsible for that corner now having two shuttered restaurants.

Back