• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

I need to try Hops and the taco place (Craft? Crafted?). Those are my next two spots.

Chic did you say you liked George's in the LF shopping center? I was thoroughly unimpressed. Not sure what my expectations should have been but it was pretty bad. Burke Street will be getting my pizza bidness going forward.

Yeah George's is not good. Not really sure how that place stays in business. But Kiha, the Japanese place next door, is good and very reasonably priced. One of our to go go tos.

Yeah Kiha is really good for the price, especially at lunch.

You're right. Kotis bought Darryl's.

He just bought the movie theatre beside Marshall Free and Mac's Speed Shop (Charlotte Biker Bar and BBQ joint) just bought the Ford place across the street. Expect major development there over the next several years.

Greensboro is rocking and rolling with entertainment development like I have never seen before.

Great. More traffic on battleground. Have you tried Marshall Free House?

I haven't. I have heard it is really good but to bring your checkbook.

I am sure I will. Frankly, I am not the biggest Kotis fan on a personal level even though what he is doing for Greensboro is a good thing.

Good, but pricey - but I have found that the portions are large enough to split - which helps the pricetag. My main complaint is the drink selection (or lack thereof when I was there).

I enjoyed the food at Marshall when I went there, but I agree that it is way too expensive.

Hops is my current favorite place. Will be interesting to see how Kotis' burger place compares when it opens later this year.

He inherited his real estate empire from his dad. Not saying he's not motivated or driven (don't know the guy) but he certainly started on third base, he didn't hit a triple. I know some of his top execs and they are decent guys.

Know lots of old school Greensboro families including many in the real estate business. They pretty much all have negative things to say about that family and their business dealings. Also known people who have been their tenants in the past and they have told me stories that would indicate the same things.

I will leave it at that. Maybe they are better under the younger Kotis but I sure as heck wouldn't rent from them.

Last edited:
Just saw where the Mac & Nelli's (formerly of north Robinhood Road) is moving into Harper Hill Commons. I figured they were all of done for since they posted a sign on the window many months ago that they were relocating but suspiciously did not say where to. Their old spot (across from Pintxos) is now a Thai Sawatdee.

The space M&N is moving into was first a McAllister's Deli when the shopping center opened in the mid-2000s. A couple of other places have given it a go in that spot, including at east two Italian places, but they haven't stuck for very long.

Back