• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

I think there was a ton of pressure from bar and brewery/bottle shop owners, it really didn't make sense to allow restaurants to reopen and not allow breweries and bottle shops to do the same. I talked to a friend of ours who owns a bottle shop and it seems like ALE can't prosecute anyway because the laws regarding what constitutes a bar/brewery/bottle shop are so convoluted.

My wife and I have been super cautious about this whole thing, but I'm not gonna lie that I'm this close to breaking down and going out for a beer.

Just ate some Lexington BBQ (The Monk)....car service only. They are not in any hurry to open the dining room. They were hopping too....parking lot full, at least 5 car hop servers.

Cooper is letting the inmates run the asylum. He's trying to open things as pressure dictates, not as safely as possible. I think a lot of places who are either open now or soon aren't prepared to deal with the reality of what has to be done to keep everything sterile.

I heard from one of my industry friends that he was at place we frequent getting takeout for breakfast, and the owner had her mask around her chin when he walked in, didn't put it up until after she started talking to them, and removed it after a few minutes saying "I can't breathe in this thing." He also noted that there wasn't a single mask or glove on the two in the kitchen.

I personally think that we're not ready for this yet, and that there will be a rebound spike. I just hope the restaurants who jumped to reopen now have the funds to close and reopen a second time.

Cooper is letting the inmates run the asylum. He's trying to open things as pressure dictates, not as safely as possible. I think a lot of places who are either open now or soon aren't prepared to deal with the reality of what has to be done to keep everything sterile.

I heard from one of my industry friends that he was at place we frequent getting takeout for breakfast, and the owner had her mask around her chin when he walked in, didn't put it up until after she started talking to them, and removed it after a few minutes saying "I can't breathe in this thing." He also noted that there wasn't a single mask or glove on the two in the kitchen.

I personally think that we're not ready for this yet, and that there will be a rebound spike. I just hope the restaurants who jumped to reopen now have the funds to close and reopen a second time.

Most of the places I’m in contact with in Winston are waiting a week or so to reopen. I can’t speak for the restaurants that opened yesterday but of the three places I’ve worked in Winston, one’s opening is still TBD, one is opening next week on a limited schedule with limited staff, and another is waiting at least a few weeks. Two of those three are requiring all staff to wear PPE at all times and working to expand outside seating.

Most of the places I’m in contact with in Winston are waiting a week or so to reopen. I can’t speak for the restaurants that opened yesterday but of the three places I’ve worked in Winston, one’s opening is still TBD, one is opening next week on a limited schedule with limited staff, and another is waiting at least a few weeks. Two of those three are requiring all staff to wear PPE at all times and working to expand outside seating.

As one might expect, some establishments are handling this really well, and others not so much. Support those that are handling it well.

Durham is taking a more conservative approach than the state guidance and even most places here have already stated that they don’t plan to open right away when allowed. We have decided in our house that we will likely give it a few weeks once dining service resumes to go out. We’ve already been home nearly 3 months at this point so no sense in rushing things.

Cooper held out a lot longer than states like Florida, Georgia or Texas that have been reopened for several weeks, and as I understand it I think every state now has re-opened to some extent.

I agree with you that we're not ready yet, we never really made any kind of progress and there's still not a vaccine. I think Mecklenburg county just reported its first Covid death in someone with no comorbidities. I think he was 43 years old. I still think the overall risk of being hospitalized is low, but this thing has the ability to really mess you up. It's just a matter of how much risk you're willing to assume, and you could do all the right things and still wind up getting it. Belmont NC is doing a thing tonight where they're blocking off Main Street and putting out a bunch of extra tables distanced far apart. I'm really tempted to go and spend time with my friends but on the other hand I look at everyone just acting like things are back to normal and it's scary.

Huge bummer, she’s an awesome person and downtown will miss Mary’s.

Silo in Reynolda Village is permanently closing

Damn. Niki Farrington was the head chef there, and worked with me (briefly) at Mary's. I'm sure she'll land on her feet, but I guess Will Kingery had to close one of his four restaurants, and Silo was the loser.

Really sad to see Mary’s go.

And Silo.

On a hopeful note, The Penny Path crepe place has reopened for takeout.

Smith Street Diner in Greensboro is closing. Sad stuff.

I'd rather the fucking old people just fucking died. Shitting down the economy wasn't worth it. Stupid fucking virus.

. To everyone…

67 Days…this is how long it has been since I closed Smith Street Diner. Unfortunately, Smith Street will remain closed as I have decided not to reopen. The decision to close any business is exceedingly difficult believe me I know as I closed Bistro Sofia in October of 2010 because of the recession.
When Smith Street Diner opened 15 plus years ago, we had no idea it would become what it has over the years…an institution. People dined with us not just from Greensboro but from all over the state and from all over the country. We had a lot of local regulars, but we also had a lot of out of town regulars. Smith Street Diner seemed to garner the hearts of many food writers, food bloggers and travel writers and people that just loved the small independently owned local diner.
As we know, people go out to eat for many reasons besides just eating. I know this was true for many of our customers. They came for the food, the coffee, or the freshly squeezed orange juice but on many occasions, they came for the comfort and familiarity of the diner. I am going to say it, like “Cheers” we may not have known your name, but we knew what you ate.
I want to thank all our customers that have come through the red front door over the many years. I want to thank all the staff that have worked for me at the diner. It takes more than one person to make a successful restaurant. It truly is a team effort and I had one helluva team at Smith Street Diner!
I do not know what the future holds but I hope it will be better and brighter than the place we are in at this moment. Remember to please be kind, respectful and civil to all those who cross your path.
Be safe and be healthy,
Beth Kizhnerman, owner of the Smith Street Diner, the best little diner

I'd rather the fucking old people just fucking died. Shitting down the economy wasn't worth it. Stupid fucking virus.

I ate my wedding morning breakfast at Smith Street. Stayed at the Marriott and couldn't sleep that morning. 8am Saturday morning comfort breakfast was just what I needed. This one hurts.

Back