• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

FWIW it’s not the shut down that is killing restaurants. It’s the virus. Our last week before we closed we lost 90% of our business virtually overnight.

Yeah. Restaurants are uniquely dangerous for spreading the virus. No amount of bluster about ending the shutdown will change that.

Seems like Smith Street could have done mondo takeout business with those condos right across the street.

Yeah. Restaurants are uniquely dangerous for spreading the virus. No amount of bluster about ending the shutdown will change that.

I still do takeout at local restaurants twice a week, but I won’t be eating in a non open air restaurant anytime in the near future.

FWIW it’s not the shut down that is killing restaurants. It’s the virus. Our last week before we closed we lost 90% of our business virtually overnight.

Yeah, I have no inside info but maybe the owner decided there was no way she could operate Smith Street in a virus-safe way. That place is tiny and every foot is packed with tables and chairs, you often have to scoot sideways between servers and other diners to go in and out. RIP Smith Street, best damn biscuits anywhere. Very sad.

I still do takeout at local restaurants twice a week, but I won’t be eating in a non open air restaurant anytime in the near future.

We've been doing the same and thus far it seems like most of the favorite local places are surviving (other than the aforementioned Carter Brothers).

I visited a well known downtown burger and hot dog joint today to get take out for the first time since all this started and was disappointed to see that they were operating business as usual - didn't notice any masks or protective gear on the staff and didn't look like they had implemented any social distancing for dine in. I hope they make it through because I like to eat their food from time to time, but I won't be back any time soon.

I've been getting takeout constantly from local places. Unfortunately I was at the Porch last Wednesday picking up food same day as the COVID kitchen worker was there. 6 days later and I'm okay, so hopefully I had no exposure.

Maybe Blake Snell can get a job working for a health department as a restaurant inspector if he's not comfortable pitching for a couple of million bucks. No, I'm not putting inspectors on the same level as doctors and nurses but they will be under-appreciated over the next few weeks and months.

Yeah, I have no inside info but maybe the owner decided there was no way she could operate Smith Street in a virus-safe way. That place is tiny and every foot is packed with tables and chairs, you often have to scoot sideways between servers and other diners to go in and out. RIP Smith Street, best damn biscuits anywhere. Very sad.

Owner confirmed this in an interview in the paper this morning. Can't make money at lower capacity and feels that close quarters is not safe for her staff. Says she wants to open a new concept at a different location, but her landlord is not being flexible about the Smith Street lease.

Me too, but I think a name change might be in order? There's definitely milk in mozzarella.

Ha, thought the same thing. Apparently he considers mozzarella to be a flavor?

Just a heads up that one of the top posts on the Winston subreddit is claiming that Xcaret and all the other restaurants they own (Monta De Rey? I wasnt exactly clear about the others) are having an outbreak of Covid with their staff and are trying to sweep it under the rug. Could be BS but it was posted by an employee who was concerned and did not know who to contact to report it... Be safe out there folks.

Edit: looks like they made a statement on their facebook. https://www.facebook.com/XCARETMEXICANGRILLCANTINA

Last edited:
Yeah, gonna miss Paul's. Was pretty much the de facto "nice dinner with parents" place near Wake for a long time.

Honestly, I'm shocked it stayed open the last few years. It was never busy.

Back