• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

The service and food are better and the menu has been reworked. The guy who owns the HoB concert venue downtown now owns Hams. Its still a chain and nothing like the original Hams where they made everything on site fresh.

It's Koltis who also owns Darryl's, Pig Pounder, Marshall Free House, etc., right?

Any decent beer at Thruway Ham's?

(I think I know the answer...)

Any decent beer at Thruway Ham's?

(I think I know the answer...)

Actually, there is a pretty good selection. I was surprised. They have this self tap feature that looks pretty cool. You can also buy like 96 ounces in a pitcher like container with a tap they put on your table. Food isn't gourmet by any means, but its good enough for what Ham's tries to be. Almost too many tvs - hard to focus on one. And to answer another question, it has been cleaned up nicely after Fox and Hound.

Anyone else dined at Prime Tyme yet (former Coliseum Kitchen, On the Fringe, Big Mussels, etc location), home of the "bess [sic] soul food in town"? I did, and I have to say it was very good. Fried chicken isn't greasy, and mac/cheese was outstanding, as were the bbq quicken and wings. Didn't opt for the fatback. Full bar, 7/8 flat screen tvs. They put some money into the place. Good prices and drink specials.

Anyone else dined at Prime Tyme yet (former Coliseum Kitchen, On the Fringe, Big Mussels, etc location), home of the "bess [sic] soul food in town"? I did, and I have to say it was very good. Fried chicken isn't greasy, and mac/cheese was outstanding, as were the bbq quicken and wings. Didn't opt for the fatback. Full bar, 7/8 flat screen tvs. They put some money into the place. Good prices and drink specials.

over/under on it staying open set at 1.5 years

I can't see it either. It's going to have about as much retail space as Thruway, but Wal-mart and LA Fitness will take up pretty big chunks, and I can't recall seeing a cheesecake factory in a Wal-Mart outparcel. Second location of Highway 55 burgers seems more likely to me, as much as I'd like to be wrong.

I drove through the development yesterday and agree that there just doesn't seem to be the space in there for those restaurants. There appears to be one large outparcel open right next to the athena taverna and a smaller one between the bank and the pdq buildings which are nearing completion. Assuming PF changs is going into one of those two (probably the larger one) I just can't see it working. There is a secondary large parcel behind the Walmart grocery but with the access/visibility limited it doesnt seem like the type of place a restaurant is going to go - if i recall the early plans correctly that will likely be office space anyway. There is another building almost complete between the LA fitness and the Walmart- anyone know what is going there? It also didnt seem big enough for one of those larger restaurants like Cheesecake factory/Maggianos.

well I take back some of what I wrote after finding this comment in an old wsj article. I guess they are gonna squeeze quite a few places into those open spaces out front:

Tim Dockery, a partner with The Crown Companies, declined to name tenants but said that six outparcels — restaurants and a financial institution — will be along Stratford Road.
“Behind those restaurants will be retail in nature,” Dockery said, “and then further back going toward I-40 would be office.

Taco Mac >>> Village Draft House.
Has better wings too.
So glad there is now one in Cary. Still hoping for one in the Midtown/North Raleigh area.

The one in Cary is not good (or at least wasn't at launch)

I also dislike village draft house. I'd rather go to tobacco road or even an ale house.

Last edited:
Me and Brasky fucked some Waldo's up over Christmas. On another note, I was thinking that Winston could really use a higher end sports bar. Something like Village Draft House in Raleigh. Would absolutely crush downtown.

I am in Winston today and need somewhere to go for the game. I go to VDH regularly, it is less than a mile from where I live. Any suggestions?

Okay, so we know a little more about Hanestowne Village on Stratford Rd. The Walmart grocery is opening this week. LA Fitness also planned for another large space. One of the outparcels is a bank with drive-thru. The only other outparcel identified will be a PDQ restaurant, common in Fla. but not many in NC - first one her obvi. Here is a link to their chain:

http://www.eatpdq.com/

Again, it's hard for me to visualize a major restaurant we don't already have on the scale of a PF Changs in the remining spaces (I think there are three more). Seems more likely a restaurant like that would go somewhere along the exurban Hanes Mall Blvd. then a WalMart outparcel. Could possibly see a Fatz Cafe or another Highway 55, something along that line going there tho. Anyone familiar with PDQ?

I can't imagine PF Changs wants to inhabit the same shopping center as Wal-Mart.

Okay, so we know a little more about Hanestowne Village on Stratford Rd. The Walmart grocery is opening this week. LA Fitness also planned for another large space. One of the outparcels is a bank with drive-thru. The only other outparcel identified will be a PDQ restaurant, common in Fla. but not many in NC - first one her obvi. Here is a link to their chain:

http://www.eatpdq.com/

Again, it's hard for me to visualize a major restaurant we don't already have on the scale of a PF Changs in the remining spaces (I think there are three more). Seems more likely a restaurant like that would go somewhere along the exurban Hanes Mall Blvd. then a WalMart outparcel. Could possibly see a Fatz Cafe or another Highway 55, something along that line going there tho. Anyone familiar with PDQ?

I was reminded at brunch yesterday by a fellow deacon that the Fleet Feet store is relocating from Miller St to the spot between Walmart and the LA Fitness

More news outta Winston:
To Our Valued Friends and Customers,
It is with much sadness to announce that Jimmy’s Seafood and Oyster Bar will be closing permanently. Our last day of business will be December 31, 2014.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our valued customers and friends over the past ten years. It has been a pleasure to have served you and your family.
However, with much excitement we also want our valued customers to know about our new establishment, Sixty Six Pizzeria Bar and Grill, that will be opening early 2015.
Thank you once again for your loyalty, friendship, and patronage. We hope you all have a Happy Holiday and a blessed New Year!

Jimmy’s Seafood and Oyster Bar
Jimmy & Dennis Paloumbas

I used to go there before King Crab opened downtown for my oyster needs

When I saw that announcement I wondered about a possible King Crab effect - never been there but everyone I know who has been gives it top notch reviews.

Back