• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

We ate at the new "spring house" sister restaurant tonight. Food was excellent but the portions where small. I ordered the mushroom tortelli, which was similar to ravioli. I got four ravioli, no side, and that was it. I guess I just expected a vegetable, etc. I don't wat big meals and wouldn't think anything of it except I thought it was exceptionally small.

They were only serving their house wines tonight, which were private label rafaldinni wines. Word to the wise, the house wines are $35.

All in all the food was delicious.

I've been to all of the places she listed in Raleigh. Good choices all. Garland is a hidden gem, with eclectic decor, delicious food, and creative bartenders. And you can't beat the rotisserie chicken at Mami Nora's.

I am at Mami Nora's at least once a week. Might try Garland this weekend.

We ate at the new "spring house" sister restaurant tonight. Food was excellent but the portions where small. I ordered the mushroom tortelli, which was similar to ravioli. I got four ravioli, no side, and that was it. I guess I just expected a vegetable, etc. I don't wat big meals and wouldn't think anything of it except I thought it was exceptionally small.

They were only serving their house wines tonight, which were private label rafaldinni wines. Word to the wise, the house wines are $35.

Did they have any interesting beer?

Quanto Basta, right? Glad the food was good. Were the portions small for the other people you dined with? I've gotten ravioli at restaurants a couple times before and feel like it is often just a few pieces.

Good list. Person Street is nice -- kind of a similar vibe to OCSC, but less or more something. I've had mixed experiences at Vin Rouge, but might need to try again, I was last there a year ago. The Bar at Lantern (and Lantern in general) is great, though the owner Andrea Reusing (married to Mac in Superchunk) is apparently an uber-what have you and is opening up this new joint in Durham that came complete with a horribly patronizing media campaign. Best pork chop I've ever had though, at the Lantern, and this drink, the Strange Acquaintance, that is great.

Ate once at Garland and it was pretty good. When it used to be just a lunch window apparently it was amazing, according to some friends. Good vibe though when I was there.

Did they have any interesting beer?

Last night was only wine. No beers.

Quanto Basta, right? Glad the food was good. Were the portions small for the other people you dined with? I've gotten ravioli at restaurants a couple times before and feel like it is often just a few pieces.

I would say half and half. Mtndeacs pasta was a good size. The other girl that was with us, hers were tiny. She had a stuff pasta, similar to manicotti, and she only had two small rolls. The pizza was a decent size for one person.

Good list. Person Street is nice -- kind of a similar vibe to OCSC, but less or more something. I've had mixed experiences at Vin Rouge, but might need to try again, I was last there a year ago. The Bar at Lantern (and Lantern in general) is great, though the owner Andrea Reusing (married to Mac in Superchunk) is apparently an uber-what have you and is opening up this new joint in Durham that came complete with a horribly patronizing media campaign. Best pork chop I've ever had though, at the Lantern, and this drink, the Strange Acquaintance, that is great.

Ate once at Garland and it was pretty good. When it used to be just a lunch window apparently it was amazing, according to some friends. Good vibe though when I was there.

Probably because one of the owner/bartenders(Jeff) @ Person St used to work at OCSC and dated and lived with OCSC's owner for several years.

Probably because one of the owner/bartenders(Jeff) @ Person St used to work at OCSC and dated and lived with OCSC's owner for several years.

Ah yeah, I think I remember hearing about this connection.

Went to Burger Warfare for lunch and split the pimento cheese burger with my wife. I'll agree with what others have said.

Tier 1: Hops, Emma Key's
Tier 2: Big Burger Spot, Burger Warfare, McCoul's, Pour House

Went to Burger Warfare for lunch and split the pimento cheese burger with my wife. I'll agree with what others have said.

Tier 1: Hops, Emma Key's
Tier 2: Big Burger Spot, Burger Warfare, McCoul's, Pour House

McCoul's is my go-to brunch spot. I didn't even know they had burgers, to be honest.

TJ's now has breakfast on weekends from 7:30 am to 11 am - not sure if it's new or if I'm just now noticing. Good morning, breakfast buffalo cham - with effin' SAUSAGE GRAVY!!!

ilzyqb.jpg
[/IMG]

Fat Dog's basically sucked, imo. Its utility may be limited to bar-drinking while waiting for a seat at Hops.

Fat Dog's basically sucked, imo. Its utility may be limited to bar-drinking while waiting for a seat at Hops.

Dang it. Very disappoint.

Is there a good hot dog in Guilford County that's not lunch only?

Went to a charity fundraiser that had the always disappointing "heavy Hors d'oeuvres" for dinner, so we went by Hops for a late night meal on Friday. The place was a ghost town at 11pm.

We get take out from Fat Dogs at lunch sometimes. Always liked everything I have gotten. Oh well. Sorry you didn't like it.

Fishers used to have pretty good hot dogs. Brown Gardiner is pretty decent as well.

Back