• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

A couple places that I've been to recently for the first time and thought were pretty good (that I don't think most people know about since they have opened in the last year):

Johanne's (just off Bethabara Park Road, where the the Par 3 Golf Course used to be): Small, local place http://www.johannesws.com/
Pinxtos Pour House (Robinhood Village): Small plates / tapas http://www.pintxospourhouse.com

ETA: Pinxtos has a chicken and waffle tapas that was nice.

Yeah, Dame's is the tits.

I go on a field trip there for chicken and waffles every now and then, since there are no good chicken and waffles anywhere in Winston.

If Mozelles would do a waffle on their brunch menu they could easily grab that title since they've got some awesome fried chicken.

I've heard several mediocre reviews of the Mad Hatter. I need to check it out myself.

One place I haven't seen mentioned yet is Dames - I cannot recommend that place enough.

Rtq and I are hitting dames next week. Super excited.

Yeah, Dame's is the tits.

I go on a field trip there for chicken and waffles every now and then, since there are no good chicken and waffles anywhere in Winston.

If Mozelles would do a waffle on their brunch menu they could easily grab that title since they've got some awesome fried chicken.

Their fried chicken and mac & cheese is unbelievable. I don't know what kind of cheese they use in that shit, but wow

Also, Cast Iron Kitchen in HP is fantastic too. It's a little like Mozelle's with a more country decor and maybe a little fancier country food.

Did I imagine the new Bell Bros thing? I swear someone posted an article about them returning.

Has anyone been to BLL Rotisserie Factory (the place Boeheim and Odom like)?

Has anyone been to BLL Rotisserie Factory (the place Boeheim and Odom like)?

Yes, it's good food and a good value. Nothing overly creative, but if you like basic italian you'll probably like it, and the chicken is good.

As far as Johanne's, that's one of the next places on my list. For those who went to Wake in the early 80s, it's near where Oscars used to be out past Bethabara Park.

I've heard several mediocre reviews of the Mad Hatter. I need to check it out myself.

One place I haven't seen mentioned yet is Dames - I cannot recommend that place enough.

Include me in the Mad Hatter = mediocre camp. Beer selection was not great, and I thought all the food was oversalted. Ms. Kitchindeac and I went with 2 other couples and split several apps and entrees, so I got to try a bunch of stuff.

Five Points in Winston is also very yummy

Which is in the former Lucky 32 location. I've been a handful of times, mostly for brunch. It is pretty good, but the best part is the cinnamon bread with strawberry butter they bring out before the meal for brunch.

Yep. Pretty good Italian. Great rotisserie chicken.

BLL is good, basic Italian-American food. Mostly just standards, but they do them well. Wait staff is great as well.

Been to Pinxto's a couple times and everything has been very good there. They had a dessert pizza (not normally a big fan) with Granny Smith apples and streusel which was amazing, but it wasn't on the menu last time I was there.

My wife and I like to stop in Tate's for a couple drinks before heading to dinner, so we've hit several of the restaurants on Fourth recently. Jeffrey Adams was ok, but not great. Went to Bernardin's last week for the first time since they moved to Zevely House. It was very good, but a bit overpriced. I think we will hit Artisan next time around.

I just heard about Johannes a week or two ago, and definitely want to check it out.

Excited for Dame's lunchdate with Chic, though reading people raving about multiple dishes probably means I'll have to go back.

I had brunch chicken & waffles at Willow's once, and it was good, but I've had the dish like twice ever so I can't rank it against much.

Went to The Honey Pot on 4th street in WS last night, and it was a great meal. Fantastic scallops.

Also have been very happy with Mission Pizza Napoletana. Agree it's pricier than other options in a similar semi-casual vibe, but oh so good.

Went to The Honey Pot on 4th street in WS last night, and it was a great meal. Fantastic scallops.

Forgot to mention this one. I went the week it opened, so they were still ironing things out. They had a fairly limited menu at the time, but I agree that the food was great.

My wife and I like to stop in Tate's for a couple drinks before heading to dinner, so we've hit several of the restaurants on Fourth recently. Jeffrey Adams was ok, but not great. Went to Bernardin's last week for the first time since they moved to Zevely House. It was very good, but a bit overpriced. I think we will hit Artisan next time around.

My wife and I were in W-S this weekend. We gave Jeffrey Adams a shot and it was, like you said, okay. The food was pretty good but the service was a little off. The entire staff was basically hot young ladies and one guy, and of course, we ended up being served by the guy. And I'm pretty certain it was his first night waiting tables. His constant hovering and weird comments lead to some awkward moments. Over the course of the weekend we also ventured out to First St for burger and beers, Village Tavern and Finnegan's Wake. For drinks we hit up Single Brothers, Silver Moon and Old Winston Social Club. It was our first time going to Old Winston and I have to say that I was really disappointed with it.

Curious, has anyone been to Hoots Bar? I good friend recommended it to us but for the life of us we couldn't find the damn place. We know the area it is in(NW Blvd warehouse district), drove around several times looking for it before finally giving up.

I thought Finnigan's Wake was really good the two times I had been, but they had a pretty bad health rating not long ago that may have scared me off for a while.

CHill, what disappointed you about Old Winston? Beers there seem to cost $1-2 more than anywhere else in town, but they tend to have a good selection and lots of space and games like ping pong, plinko, shuffleboard, darts, etc.

I've been to Hoots once, and twice to The Porch, a restaurant in the same building. I'm eager for Hoots to finally start serving their own beer, at which point I'll definitely go back to check it out (I supported their Kickstarter campaign), but it is rather out of the way as you discovered when you couldn't find it. I worry that the location will be their downfall but there is a lot of effort being put into the area, and the certain group of hipster folk will support it anyway. Surely rent isn't too high back there.

Back