• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

yeah, Old Winston Social Club. they just expanded their front patio with new concrete which is pretty cool

The district was good the one time I ate there as well

Sixth and Vine
Spring House
Milner's
Small Batch
The Carving Board
Bagel Station

Are all places in Winston I haven't seen mentioned yet that are great. I'll back up Five Points and Willow's as well.

Get the prosciutto sandwich at Dioli's on Reynolda. It's a little pricey but really worth it.

late to the party, but I'll second (or third) emma Key's, and although it's straight #psf Big Burger Spot up on battleground has great burgers (and I think they's opening a second location off W Wendover)

CHill, what disappointed you about Old Winston? Beers there seem to cost $1-2 more than anywhere else in town, but they tend to have a good selection and lots of space and games like ping pong, plinko, shuffleboard, darts, etc.

I've been to Hoots once, and twice to The Porch, a restaurant in the same building. I'm eager for Hoots to finally start serving their own beer, at which point I'll definitely go back to check it out (I supported their Kickstarter campaign), but it is rather out of the way as you discovered when you couldn't find it. I worry that the location will be their downfall but there is a lot of effort being put into the area, and the certain group of hipster folk will support it anyway. Surely rent isn't too high back there.

I think it was the games that annoyed me the most, that and having to drink beer out of plastic cups. Not only were some of the games loud, but the people playing them kept screaming and yooing and jumping up and down. The beers were great, service was good and the people we sat with at the bar all seemed cool. If it wasn't for those damn games I'd probably enjoyed it more than I did.

Thanks for the Hoots tip. Next time we're in town we'll have to give it another try.

yeah, Old Winston Social Club. they just expanded their front patio with new concrete which is pretty cool

Social Club is a neat environment and has a good beer selection. Wish they served food though.

My wife and I were in W-S this weekend. We gave Jeffrey Adams a shot and it was, like you said, okay. The food was pretty good but the service was a little off. The entire staff was basically hot young ladies and one guy, and of course, we ended up being served by the guy. And I'm pretty certain it was his first night waiting tables. His constant hovering and weird comments lead to some awkward moments. Over the course of the weekend we also ventured out to First St for burger and beers, Village Tavern and Finnegan's Wake. For drinks we hit up Single Brothers, Silver Moon and Old Winston Social Club. It was our first time going to Old Winston and I have to say that I was really disappointed with it.

Curious, has anyone been to Hoots Bar? I good friend recommended it to us but for the life of us we couldn't find the damn place. We know the area it is in(NW Blvd warehouse district), drove around several times looking for it before finally giving up.

It is about 200 yards up NW Blvd from Reynolda intersection on the right at the back of the parking lot alleyway. Small and eclectic.

Social Club is a neat environment and has a good beer selection. Wish they served food though.

I usually get Burke Street Pizza and carry it over.

CHill, agreed on the plastic cups. They do have glasses sometimes and I don't know if they just don't have the kitchen facilities to keep up on weekends or what, but that is a bit of a detraction.

I think it was the games that annoyed me the most, that and having to drink beer out of plastic cups. Not only were some of the games loud, but the people playing them kept screaming and yooing and jumping up and down. The beers were great, service was good and the people we sat with at the bar all seemed cool. If it wasn't for those damn games I'd probably enjoyed it more than I did.

Thanks for the Hoots tip. Next time we're in town we'll have to give it another try.

You must have been there later in the evening and on a really busy day. Usually when I go they start me off with a pint glass and switch to plastic around 11 or so. When it gets crowded on weekends it can get rowdy, but that's any bar.

The games are cool to have if it's not super crowded

Pinxtos Pour House (Robinhood Village): Small plates / tapas http://www.pintxospourhouse.com

ETA: Pinxtos has a chicken and waffle tapas that was nice.

I've heard good things about Pinxtos as well. Relatedly, the restaurant across from it (newish shopping center on north Robinhood Road), Mac & Nelli's, has closed. Sign on the door said they are moving to new location but did not say where. I don't think there are enough rooftops in the area yet to support two somewhat upscale restaurants and a Mexican place all clustered together like that Maybe it can happen when Brookberry builds out. Two pizza places in the Pinxtos spot failed.

You must have been there later in the evening and on a really busy day. Usually when I go they start me off with a pint glass and switch to plastic around 11 or so. When it gets crowded on weekends it can get rowdy, but that's any bar.

10:30 on a Friday night might not have been the best time for us to have gone there. Next time we'll try a late afternoon/early evening session.

Iron Hen, Lox Stock & Bagel, and Crafted are all great lunch spots in GSO.

Green Valley Grill, Undercurrent, Table 16, Liberty Oak, Print Works, are all very solid dinner options. Pho Hien Vuong and Vanloi II (my favorite) for Vietnamese. Sushi Republic for Sushi. Phoenix for more upscale chinese.

Still ill that the W-S L32 closed. That was the place my parents met my wife. Seems like restaurants have struggled to stay in that space since.

I think someone else mentioned it by now but Five Points seems to be doing pretty well there. Their parking lot was packed at lunchtime today.

I've had Jeffrey Adams in Winston a few times for lunch and always thought it was pretty good. I haven't been there for dinner yet, though.

Iron Hen, Lox Stock & Bagel, and Crafted are all great lunch spots in GSO.

Green Valley Grill, Undercurrent, Table 16, Liberty Oak, Print Works, are all very solid dinner options. Pho Hien Vuong and Vanloi II (my favorite) for Vietnamese. Sushi Republic for Sushi. Phoenix for more upscale chinese.

I really want to try this place.

Saw pintxos mentioned. That's a big no for me. Hated that place. Pricey for the size you get. Got the chicken & waffles & a pizza. Waffle was a corner. Pizza was soggy.

Can't believe no one has mentioned 1618 Seafood Grille in GSO. Best dinner restaurant in town. Just started serving Sunday brunch back in the fall and it is awesome as well.

Did not realize there was a Dame's in Greensboro, will definitely be making a trip next week. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner last summer. Great guy and he hooked my staff up with free food.

Though I'm sure it needs no mention on this board I'll throw out Rose's Deli (especially for late lunch and a pitcher on Friday afternoons).

I've really enjoyed the Porch the couple of times I've been there. Will try Hoots again when they start serving their own Beer, wasn't impressed the first time though.

I will echo Small Batch. Their food was surprisingly good (I'd recommend the flatbreads or the doughnuts) and they always have at least one great beer on tap.

Mooney's is the best mediterranean food I've found in Winston.

Can't believe no one has mentioned 1618 Seafood Grille in GSO. Best dinner restaurant in town. Just started serving Sunday brunch back in the fall and it is awesome as well.

My bro was a cook there for a while. That place is amazing.

Back