• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Skip the Marshall Free House - not worth the long wait to open

The drink selection is pretty underwhelming for a "British Style pub" and the food is ridiculous - $20 for pretty crappy fish and chips - not what I expected when going to a pub.

Skip the Marshall Free House - not worth the long wait to open

The drink selection is pretty underwhelming for a "British Style pub" and the food is ridiculous - $20 for pretty crappy fish and chips - not what I expected when going to a pub.

Seriously? $20 for fish and chips? That's crazy.

yMURCbu.jpg

Emma Keys - Better burgers
Hops - Better fries and beer
Mad Hatter - Meh

Sorry Vader. A restaurant has to be the total package: taste, value, and service. Emma's has got to step up the game on service. They're cooking burgers, not a damn wood-fired pizza. Should be out in a matter of minutes. Last time I was there I waited nearly 30 minutes after my order while my kids whined and pouted and complained. Hops is much faster, has a great beer selection, and the burgers are great. For the same price as Emma's you can get much more creative offerings.

Sorry Vader. A restaurant has to be the total package: taste, value, and service. Emma's has got to step up the game on service. They're cooking burgers, not a damn wood-fired pizza. Should be out in a matter of minutes. Last time I was there I waited nearly 30 minutes after my order while my kids whined and pouted and complained. Hops is much faster, has a great beer selection, and the burgers are great. For the same price as Emma's you can get much more creative offerings.

...if you can get into Hops. They're both super crowded in prime time, but EK's is more available. I don't think Hops is more creative either.

Let's talk coffee:

Has anyone been to The People's Perk or Cafegency (that's the one that gave discounts for mentioning [name redacted])?

Geeksboro is a nerdy niche spot that has Krankies coffee. Spring Garden Bakery has some good whole bean stuff, but I'm always unimpressed by their service.

Geeksboro is basically my office away from home.

Beans Boro up at New Garden/Horse Pen Creek is a decent shop - beans are roasted in house.

I enjoy the green bean downtown as well.

Going to The Porter House Bar and Grill tomorrow night. Thoughts?

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but if you're in Greensboro be sure to check out Old Town on Spring Garden Street. $3.50 Natty Greene's beers with a $2.50 beer of the day every day. They also have food, and $1 off any drink on Wednesdays.

I have eaten at the Porter House once and thought it was very good. I need to get back at some point.

Given that eating out is a big topic,I thought it might be good to have one place designated for local restaurant discussions. I posted last week that the folks who used to run the former Tower Grille will be taking over the spot that used to be the Twin City Chop House. Because that thread was started on the sports board, of course, it didn't make it over here, so just fyi for those who might have missed it.

Also, I noticed this week that the Pig Pickin's that was on Reynolda Road had closed, and I believe that was the only remaining location. I was a big fan on the restaurant when it was on Deacon Blvd. - I even used them to cater my rehearsal dinner. But they had gone downhill over the years and the Reynolda ROad location had it's struggles. Here's a link to their facebook page which announced their closing in March. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pig-Pickins/484221560696

Drove by the restaurant last week. There was a banner out front "Under New Mgmt" Not sure who's running it, but everyone should give them a try.

Under favorite local restaurants:

Diamondback Grill in Buena Vista is always good. Never had a bad meal. Laid back atmosphere, nice seating area with fireplace.
Five Points
Willow's
Bernardin's along with their sister restaurant, Bleu off Stratford/Hanes Mall Blvd

The Quiet Pint opened up a few months back on First near Hawthorne. Very good the couple of times I've eaten there. Great bar.

Last edited:
I don't know why people let themselves get hooked on Five Points when that location is obviously cursed.

Let's talk coffee:

Has anyone been to The People's Perk or Cafegency (that's the one that gave discounts for mentioning [name redacted])?

Geeksboro is a nerdy niche spot that has Krankies coffee. Spring Garden Bakery has some good whole bean stuff, but I'm always unimpressed by their service.

cafegency is legit

A couple places that I've been to recently for the first time and thought were pretty good (that I don't think most people know about since they have opened in the last year):

Johanne's (just off Bethabara Park Road, where the the Par 3 Golf Course used to be): Small, local place http://www.johannesws.com/
Pinxtos Pour House (Robinhood Village): Small plates / tapas http://www.pintxospourhouse.com

ETA: Pinxtos has a chicken and waffle tapas that was nice.

Went to Johanne's this weekend.

The food we ended up getting was really good but the service was a bit off. The waitress was good and attentive (and apologetic), but after taking our order had to come back out and tell my date that they didn't have his side dish (parmesan grits) so he had to choose another. Then a couple minutes later she came back to say they didn't have my entree at all, so I had to choose something different. Then she brought me the wrong starter salad, and I had to ask her to bring me the correct one, which she did. Then someone else came out to say actually they could make the grits after all, and there would be fresh cornbread soon. The entrees were really delicious. The cornbread didn't come out until we were pretty much finished with them though. Then they gave us free dessert.

We sat at a nice screened porch overlooking a quiet pond and the only other table out there was finishing as we arrived. Had it to ourselves. Then when we left, there was nobody else inside. I guess when it's that quiet, the kitchen loses focus? I'd give it another try though, despite the problems.

Can't believe no one has mentioned 1618 Seafood Grille in GSO. Best dinner restaurant in town. Just started serving Sunday brunch back in the fall and it is awesome as well.

Just had dinner for the first time there, and it was an incredible experience.

Back