• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

I don't know why people let themselves get hooked on Five Points when that location is obviously cursed.

Not as badly as the site of Pancho Villa's used to be (right next to Arigato on Stratford). When I first got to Wake, that was a Steak and Ale. Once that closed there had to be 6-8 other restaurants in that space before Pancho Villa's finally took hold.

Because I live in Kernersville....

Smitty's Grill- Oyster Bar, very laid back
Giada's Trattoria- Excellent Italian Food. They have another restaurant in High Point- Gianno's. Both are good.
J. Peppers Southern Grille- Shrimp & Grits are awesome, so is the steak & cheese, meatloaf, and pickled onions. All local vegetables.
Bistro B- in downtown Kernersville. Pretty nice place, good wine selection.

I also have to mention Chopstix Fusion in (cough, cough) Wallburg, off 109 near Meadowlands Golf Course. Great sushi, believe it or not.

Not as badly as the site of Pancho Villa's used to be (right next to Arigato on Stratford). When I first got to Wake, that was a Steak and Ale. Once that closed there had to be 6-8 other restaurants in that space before Pancho Villa's finally took hold.

Considering that people were actually murdered at the Steak and Ale, it's a legit curse.

Yeah this is the site I refer to as the Bermuda Triangle. I've only successfully eaten at one restaurant there.

Sarah's Kabob Shop on W. Market is really really good. Good portions and price for a quickish lunch. They bring some good heat too.

Skip the Marshall Free House - not worth the long wait to open

The drink selection is pretty underwhelming for a "British Style pub" and the food is ridiculous - $20 for pretty crappy fish and chips - not what I expected when going to a pub.

My thoughts exactly. When we walked in, they asked if we had a reservation. WTF? You are a pub. Pubs don't take reservations. It has an okay draft list, but most of it is not British.

I'll give a shout out for Taste of Ethiopia.

Great food - enough to split which makes it very reasonable (if you drink water). My family of 5 usually gets' out of there for about $25-30. Service is a bit slow just b/c of food preparation. Great folks run the place.

Just off W Market on Westgate in Greensboro.

Sarah's Kabob Shop on W. Market is really really good. Good portions and price for a quickish lunch. They bring some good heat too.

Oh man, now we're going to get 10,000 restaurant recs from bmoney now that he's seeing how great food is in the "big city." ;)

Oh man, now we're going to get 10,000 restaurant recs from bmoney now that he's seeing how great food is in the "big city." ;)

HEY GUISE HAVE YOU HERD OF THIS BORITTO PLACE CALLED CUE DOBA??

The owner is also a really nice guy. He and his wife used to work at ghassan's. And when they opened up their own place the management there were real dicks about it and fired him.

The owner is also a really nice guy. He and his wife used to work at ghassan's. And when they opened up their own place the management there were real dicks about it and fired him.

They opened a competing restaurant and expected to keep their jobs?

(Note: admittedly not familiar with either of those restaurants so maybe they aren't direct competitors?)

Not really competitors and my understanding was that they were very up front through out the process and it was supposedly fine and they would be able to continue cooking and waiting tables until they were on their feet and then the rug was pulled out from under them.

Wife wants to go out to a nice bar soon. All the ones I like are dives. Any recs?

Wife wants to go out to a nice bar soon. All the ones I like are dives. Any recs?

I see what you did there.

But to answer your question, and while it is not a "bar" bar, my wife and I enjoy having a drink in the upstairs at Jeffrey Adams before heading out for dinner at one of the nearby restaurants.

Back