• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Quiet Pint has become my go to spot lately, love that place. Never heard the porch described as a dump, pretty popular restaurant.

I agree on both points. I don't get to go out to eat much, but both are always good, and the Porch is in no way a dump.

Yeah, Quiet Pint is one of my go-to restaurants because it checks all the boxes: good food, small interesting menu, good service, good prices, good (not great) beer selection, easy parking, lots of tvs.

Yeah, but QP took the burrata off the menu, so my wife and I don't go any more.

Update: Ended up going to the porch last night, good as always, with terrible service as always. Girlfriend saw they were giving out free tots and queso so we were all over it.

I agree on both points. I don't get to go out to eat much, but both are always good, and the Porch is in no way a dump.

I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here. Maybe my comment there wasn't well-worded, but I didn't mean it like you evidently took it. Actually, I meant it as somewhat of a compliment. I prefer restaurants that emphasize substance over style....in other words, those that are more interested in the food they serve rather than how fancy the place looks. And I think that The Porch definitely falls into that category. (I immediately followed that statement by saying that I really liked the food and the laid-back atmosphere.)

Went to Earl's today for lunch. Got there about 12:30, maybe 5 other people were in there. Filled up a little more as time went on, maybe 10 people or so by 1:30. Cool spot, big bar. Winston Hot Chicken was good. Spicy via dry rub rather than sauce, and (will probably get roasted for this) reminded me of a quality homemade attempt at a Chick Fil A spicy chicken sandwich. Would definitely eat it again.

Totally different style than Slappy's, to the point where you shouldn't really compare them. That said, I prefer Slappy's collards.

Went to Earl's today for lunch. Got there about 12:30, maybe 5 other people were in there. Filled up a little more as time went on, maybe 10 people or so by 1:30. Cool spot, big bar. Winston Hot Chicken was good. Spicy via dry rub rather than sauce, and (will probably get roasted for this) reminded me of a quality homemade attempt at a Chick Fil A spicy chicken sandwich. Would definitely eat it again.

Totally different style than Slappy's, to the point where you shouldn't really compare them. That said, I prefer Slappy's collards.

I agree 100%. Completely different animals and both delicious. Correct on the collards as well.

Towne Center Diner at 109 & Gumtree is closing after business today. I'm pissed, as it's less than 2 miles from the house, and a go-to for good food when we didn't want to cook. The owner also owns Trade St. Diner downtown, and is going to concentrate on it. There is a buyer for the Wallburg location that hopes to open mid January, but I don't know who or what kind of food.

Another new restaurant opening on Main Street in High Point on Monday - Magnolia Blue. It's the latest "Blue" restaurant from the owner of Blue Water Grill, Blue Zucchini (since sold), Blue Rock Pizza & Tap and LuLu & Blu (co-owner). It's being billed as "savory, southern fare" but I haven't seen a menu yet. The place looks awesome - the rooftop bar especially. Can't wait.

Towne Center Diner at 109 & Gumtree is closing after business today. I'm pissed, as it's less than 2 miles from the house, and a go-to for good food when we didn't want to cook. The owner also owns Trade St. Diner downtown, and is going to concentrate on it. There is a buyer for the Wallburg location that hopes to open mid January, but I don't know who or what kind of food.

My cousin was a server at Towne Centre Diner a few years ago. She liked it there and made decent money for a Davidson County country diner. Unfortunately one evening a cook threw a bucket full of scalding hot water mixed with bleach on her lower legs and feet and gave her serious burns and skin damage. The owner didn't offer to call an ambulance, but rather fired her on the spot because her non-slip shoes weren't waterproof (which they weren't told was a requirement). Not sure what her shoes would have done for her ankles and shins either. Naturally he never offered to pay for any medical expenses and went out of his way to discourage her from seeking legal help. Told her that he was covered legally from something she had signed upon being hired. She couldn't afford a lawyer either way. Was happy to hear it was closing until you said he owns Trade St. Diner, I've been hearing good things about that place. Oh well, such is the life of a restaurateur, most of them are sleazeballs. I'll probably still give Trade St. a try...

Is that the place on the far right corner of the shopping center, just a click away from Real Q?

Went out to Trade St Diner last weekend with a large group. I had the lamb shank & my wife got the catfish. Bot were excellent & we were excited to put a new option on our "good food spots". VERY disappointing to hear that about the owner.

I'd never had a less than (A /A+) meal at Ryan's. It's my favorite steakhouse in the world.

I think we made the mistake of going late last night. They were out of Prime Rib and the Ribeye was what I would expect if I grilled one myself from the Walmart Neighborhood Market by our house.

The shalloted potatoes were still fire... but, our waiter also really pushed some wagyu ny strips they have bought in bulk, and will be selling for the next month. Just seemed off for Ryan's

Anybody else have a less than stellar experience there lately? It's a once-every-three/four-month treat for us, so I am hoping the place isn't trending down.

I'd never had a less than (A /A+) meal at Ryan's. It's my favorite steakhouse in the world.

I think we made the mistake of going late last night. They were out of Prime Rib and the Ribeye was what I would expect if I grilled one myself from the Walmart Neighborhood Market by our house.

The shalloted potatoes were still fire... but, our waiter also really pushed some wagyu ny strips they have bought in bulk, and will be selling for the next month. Just seemed off for Ryan's

Anybody else have a less than stellar experience there lately? It's a once-every-three/four-month treat for us, so I am hoping the place isn't trending down.

I go once a year and it’s always a damn good meal. Our server for our most recent visit had a degree from Wake and had become a marine bioligist but said the money was so good at Ryan’s that she could never make herself quit.

Another new restaurant opening on Main Street in High Point on Monday - Magnolia Blue. It's the latest "Blue" restaurant from the owner of Blue Water Grill, Blue Zucchini (since sold), Blue Rock Pizza & Tap and LuLu & Blu (co-owner). It's being billed as "savory, southern fare" but I haven't seen a menu yet. The place looks awesome - the rooftop bar especially. Can't wait.

Brunch was very good on Sunday but we enjoy the Bloody Mary's better at Trade Street. The mix was kind of plain but the bennies were very good.

My cousin was a server at Towne Centre Diner a few years ago. She liked it there and made decent money for a Davidson County country diner. Unfortunately one evening a cook threw a bucket full of scalding hot water mixed with bleach on her lower legs and feet and gave her serious burns and skin damage. The owner didn't offer to call an ambulance, but rather fired her on the spot because her non-slip shoes weren't waterproof (which they weren't told was a requirement). Not sure what her shoes would have done for her ankles and shins either. Naturally he never offered to pay for any medical expenses and went out of his way to discourage her from seeking legal help. Told her that he was covered legally from something she had signed upon being hired. She couldn't afford a lawyer either way. Was happy to hear it was closing until you said he owns Trade St. Diner, I've been hearing good things about that place. Oh well, such is the life of a restaurateur, most of them are sleazeballs. I'll probably still give Trade St. a try...

You cannot sign away your right to workers compensation benefits. A waiver is meaningless. And fees for personal injury/workers comp are nearly always contingent on recovery. She should talk to a lawyer.

ETA, if this was a few years ago, it’s probably outside the statute of limitations, but I would encourage her to talk to someone anyway. It’s generally not a good idea to take a potential defendants statements at face value.

Last edited:
Back