• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Wow, that's great news. Especially after losing the Southern Stilton at First Street.

This. Man, what a loss that was. I drove past it today and saw that new stoner buzzy fried foods place next to it. I'm going to give that place a shot soon.

That location is cursed. That and the property has 5 parking spots.

Was thinking the same about parking. They'll need to officially claim some of the spots behind the restaurant. It's not like it's in a great location for foot traffic around lunch.

Slappy’s is one of the oddest places I’ve ever become a regular at. A bunch of goth dudes frying up the best chicken in Winston in the heart of Southside. Even their soul food sides are spot on, the collards and Mac and cheese always hit home for me. It is by far the dirtiest place at which I’ve ever willingly eaten.

Agreed. It's an odd place. Went there earlier this year and it was pretty good. Not somewhere I'd go all the time, but still good. Growing up on the Southside I like that there's a place like that over there.

Went to Campus Gas a couple of days ago. I really like the interior and can tell it's gonna be a spot I'll visit often. I got their hot dog. I liked the Carolina dog and also tried a hot dog with pimento cheese. They have beer and wine for sale out of coolers.

They are still putting finishing touches on the space and getting the final menu together but it's definitely worth a stop.

Went to Campus Gas a couple of days ago. I really like the interior and can tell it's gonna be a spot I'll visit often. I got their hot dog. I liked the Carolina dog and also tried a hot dog with pimento cheese. They have beer and wine for sale out of coolers.

They are still putting finishing touches on the space and getting the final menu together but it's definitely worth a stop.

Are they open for good now, or was that just a soft opening? I’m pretty excited about it. Wish it had been there when I was a student.

Finally! Every single person I know was begging for that place to become a bar since I was a teenager.

Martin said he and co-owner David Essa had been looking for a Winston-Salem location when they learned that Carmine was considering closing.

“We were in the right place at the right time for a site that we absolutely love in the West End, the architecture (an old gas station), the building’s history and the ample parking,” Martin said.

Chris Martin, a graduate of Troll So Hard University.

I don't think people realize that building shares the big parking lot in front of WS Theater Alliance on Northwest BLVD. There is plenty of parking.
94655350b32c00b0de3e97354a61fc0b.jpg

I don't think people realize that building shares the big parking lot in front of WS Theater Alliance on Northwest BLVD. There is plenty of parking.
94655350b32c00b0de3e97354a61fc0b.jpg

I was a regular at Bob's back in the day, and 9 times out of 10 this lot was full when I went there. I think there's an orthodontists office and another business that share it, in addition to the theater...

I was a regular at Bob's back in the day, and 9 times out of 10 this lot was full when I went there. I think there's an orthodontists office and another business that share it, in addition to the theater...
Its only full during TA performances, so a few weekends a year. My wife was a regular performer there before the baby and we usher for a lot of the shows shes not in.

The fact that people arguing about the availability of open parking...well...that sorta confirms the point. Some of us know there might be additional parking. Many others just won't bother...

I hope the place makes it as I'm nearby.

The fact that people arguing about the availability of open parking...well...that sorta confirms the point. Some of us know there might be additional parking. Many others just won't bother...

I hope the place makes it as I'm nearby.

Have you been to the original one in Greensboro?

I've made a bunch of trips from Lewisville just for their Carolina burger. The place is almost always slammed. Theres a burger joint next door that I'm convinced only exists to scrape the overflow crowd from Hops.

Have you been to the original one in Greensboro?

I've made a bunch of trips from Lewisville just for their Carolina burger. The place is almost always slammed. Theres a burger joint next door that I'm convinced only exists to scrape the overflow crowd from Hops.

Maybe I’m thinking of the other location but I could have swore that was a taco place...

I bought a lot of gasoline at that site. Super-nice fellow (whose name I can't recall) ran it back in the day. Good to see something nice going in there. If I recall correctly, my landlady and her husband ran a grocery store there before it became a Phillips 76 station.

Back