• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Went to Earls last night before the game. Full bar, restaurant and music venue behind Wiseman. Real country and bluegrass focus.

Menu had 3 dinner options, apps, chicken basket and various sandwiches.

Chicken can be ordered Winston Hot(Nashville style). Moist and about the right level of heat. Also had Mac and Cheese which was very good.

Dinner only right now but opening for lunch in a couple of weeks.

Worth checking out.

Went to Earls last night before the game. Full bar, restaurant and music venue behind Wiseman. Real country and bluegrass focus.

Chicken can be ordered Winston Hot(Nashville style). Moist and about the right level of heat. Also had Mac and Cheese which was very good.

Worth checking out.

Sounds similar to Slappy’s, definitely going to check it out.

Not restaurant related necessarily, but very interesting to me to think that a year from now we'll have 3 new select-service hotels in downtown Winston-Salem.

Hampton Inn on Cherry
Courtyard on 4th
Indigo on 4th

Interesting to assume that those hoteliers see enough traffic coming through Winston (leisure travel and business) to commit to new properties. Also, turrible timing with the B40 closing but oh wells.

We've had a Convention Center that was oversized given the number of hotel rooms in downtown. Good to see that right-sizing (hopefully).

Big hotel wave coming to Greensboro too. I personally think this is not being driven by demand fundamentals but rather by real estate capital looking for somewhere to go. My understanding is that most of these deals involve a sponsor/developer who gets the hotel built and as soon as it opens, sells it to a REIT or other investment fund at a tidy profit. Thus the development motive has a short term horizon. Right now we're in an era of easy money and high demand... will be interesting to see what happens to all these hotels when the next recession comes along.

Big hotel wave coming to Greensboro too. I personally think this is not being driven by demand fundamentals but rather by real estate capital looking for somewhere to go. My understanding is that most of these deals involve a sponsor/developer who gets the hotel built and as soon as it opens, sells it to a REIT or other investment fund at a tidy profit. Thus the development motive has a short term horizon. Right now we're in an era of easy money and high demand... will be interesting to see what happens to all these hotels when the next recession comes along.

Yea. That makes a lot of sense. Grab up the space while they can.

See a space and it must be developed. That's what counts for progress. What inventive use of investment. What a lovely system.

Worth checking out.

Sounds similar to Slappy’s, definitely going to check it out.

C'mon y'all, Slappy's is not Nashville style:

This is not the same as the Nashville hot chicken that is trending nationally. Brandenburg grew up in Statesville, eating chicken that was breaded, fried and then coated in hot sauce. “I grew up with Keaton’s (in Cleveland, N.C.) and other places around Statesville doing hot chicken,” Brandenburg said. “Everybody has their own way of doing it. This is my recipe.”

And from what I've heard neither is Earl's really. Only one spice level that's fairly mild. Any real Nashville style hot chicken place is gonna have some options and at medium-on-up those options should be plenty painful.

I never said Slappy's was Nashville style, I've had Hattie B's every way they make it and while it is very good, I prefer Slappy's. I guess we can call Slappy's "Carolina Chicken". No need to throw the word "hot" in there, because to me Slappy's isn't even as hot as Hattie B's mildest sauce..

Keaton's is the best chicken I've had in N.C. Worth the drive to Cool Springs (from Winston). Also, you will never find an establishment with more signs that contain grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Yep...never said Slappys is Nashville style. Earls is...even if at a mild level. It’s just about hot sauce and cayenne in the breading.

Slappys is pretty damn close to being as good as Keaton’s these days. I feel no need to drive to Keaton’s now that I have Slappy’s.

Key point for Earls though is w-a has a bar/restaurant/music venue and that’s unique.

Worth checking out.

I never said Slappy's was Nashville style, I've had Hattie B's every way they make it and while it is very good, I prefer Slappy's. I guess we can call Slappy's "Carolina Chicken". No need to throw the word "hot" in there, because to me Slappy's isn't even as hot as Hattie B's mildest sauce..

Yep...never said Slappys is Nashville style. Earls is...even if at a mild level. It’s just about hot sauce and cayenne in the breading.

Slappys is pretty damn close to being as good as Keaton’s these days. I feel no need to drive to Keaton’s now that I have Slappy’s.

Key point for Earls though is w-a has a bar/restaurant/music venue and that’s unique.

Sorry y'all, zq you said "sounds like Slappy's" after bhin said Earl's was Nashville style, so it seemed like you were equivocating the two. Apologies for mis-interpreting that.

And if it's just a mild level then I don't think of that as Nashville style either. I hate when restaurants throw around that label and then don't actually make it spicy, it's really a disservice to the real thing and seems to be happening more and more lately. Earls does seem cool otherwise, though.

My favorite pizza joint in High Point closed. Marrozzi's at the Palladium is no longer open. My guess is Mario's finally did them in. Very sad. Went to the new thai joint in the Palladium which was pretty good, but not better than Thai Ming Chai up on 68

Sorry y'all, zq you said "sounds like Slappy's" after bhin said Earl's was Nashville style, so it seemed like you were equivocating the two. Apologies for mis-interpreting that.

And if it's just a mild level then I don't think of that as Nashville style either. I hate when restaurants throw around that label and then don't actually make it spicy, it's really a disservice to the real thing and seems to be happening more and more lately. Earls does seem cool otherwise, though.

Few things tick me off at a restaurant more than when I order something off a menu that says "Hot" or "Spicy" and it isn't even remotely spicy. I have this problem at local Indian, and Thai places all the time.

My favorite pizza joint in High Point closed. Marrozzi's at the Palladium is no longer open. My guess is Mario's finally did them in. Very sad. Went to the new thai joint in the Palladium which was pretty good, but not better than Thai Ming Chai up on 68

Say it ain't so! I work with lots of peeps who are going to be pissed about this! Their pizza was better than Mario's and about even with Burke St. IMO.

Porterhouse isn't too bad, but I prefer Big Burger Spot. Crazy the amount of restaurants in the Palladium area.

Few things tick me off at a restaurant more than when I order something off a menu that says "Hot" or "Spicy" and it isn't even remotely spicy. I have this problem at local Indian, and Thai places all the time.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I’m a weak white American but I think Nawab is fairly accurate with their spice level and descriptions.

Maybe I’m a weak white American but I think Nawab is fairly accurate with their spice level and descriptions.

I like Nawab, but I don't think it is spicy at all. Although, I may have just burnt out my insides over the years

I like Nawab, but I don't think it is spicy at all. Although, I may have just burnt out my insides over the years

I’ve eaten there probably about 20 times and they’ve only gotten my food spicy enough for me a few times. One time they got my ass good though and I could barely eat it. I still did and it tasted great, as did all of my other meals there. I love Nawab despite their usual lack of spice.

Back