• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Cuban on bigotry: 'None of us have complete pure thoughts'

That type of thing definitely happens. That's not a Josh Harris thing. Of course, they do the same thing to guys in general.

I hope Cuban's comments open up a dialogue. I didn't see anything wrong with acknowledging prejudice. The key is not acting on them.

I don't see what it has to do with Sterling though.

Oh it for sure happens, and I think more with black dudes than dudes in general.

That type of thing definitely happens. That's not a Josh Harris thing. Of course, they do the same thing to guys in general.

I hope Cuban's comments open up a dialogue. I didn't see anything wrong with acknowledging prejudice. The key is not acting on them.

Sterling is being punished for his thoughts, not his actions.

Sterling is being punished for his thoughts, not his actions.

Talking is an action. Sterling is being punished for what he said and his specific actions in asking his mistress to not post pictures with black guys on Instagram or sit with them to Clippers games. Using one's power to encourage someone to discriminate by race is an action.

Either way, Sterling's peers (except Cuban I guess) decided that keeping Sterling around is bad for business. That's what matters here.

Last edited:
Talking is an action. Sterling is being punished for what he said and his specific actions in asking his mistress to not post pictures with black guys on Instagram or sit with them to Clippers games. Using one's power to encourage someone to discriminate by race is an action.

Either way, Sterling's peers (except Cuban I guess) decided that keeping Sterling around is bad for business. That's what matters here.

Crossing the street when you see a black guy in the hoodie is an action too. Should Cuban lose his franchise if enough owners think his actions are bad for business?

Does anyone think that the NBA will undergo severe legal scrutiny for denying Sterling due process?

I do not doubt that Sterling is a racist. I have no problem with the ban placed on him. However, there is something troubling about anyone being denied his day in court.

Talking is an action. Sterling is being punished for what he said and his specific actions in asking that his mistress not post pictures with black guys on Instagram.

I got no problem with what they're doing to Sterling, I think he's a poor excuse for a human being. The question I do have is if Donald Sterling were black, hispanic, etc. and made comments as disgusting about whites as Sterling made about blacks, would he still be getting his team taken away?

Does anyone think that the NBA will undergo severe legal scrutiny for denying Sterling due process?

I do not doubt that Sterling is a racist. I have no problem with the ban placed on him. However, there is something troubling about anyone being denied his day in court.

It depends on what he agreed to when he bought the Clippers. The NBA's "due process" may not allow him much leeway or recourse, and if he agreed to that in exchange for joining the league, then he must deal with it.

There is one reason and one reason only that Sterling is being punished

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

His thoughts, and the broadcast of those thoughts to the public, was hurting the image and brand of the other 29 owners. It was going to hurt their bottom line unless they took action.

Nobody is punishing him because of what he thought. They are punishing him because if they didn't, it would cost them money.

What due process is there?

They have scrupulously followed the constitution of the NBA. Sterling agreed to these terms when he bought the team and has not challenged them since.

If you join a club and agree to the rules, then the club uses the rules to throw you out, you have no due process claim.

What due process is there?

They have scrupulously followed the constitution of the NBA. Sterling agreed to these terms when he bought the team and has not challenged them since.

If you join a club and agree to the rules, then the club uses the rules to throw you out, you have no due process claim.

Except if they violate those rules as they're throwing you out. What "contract" did Sterling break?

Crossing the street when you see a black guy in the hoodie is an action too. Should Cuban lose his franchise if enough owners think his actions are bad for business?

That's up to his peers to decide. So far it doesn't look like the league is at risk from this.

I got no problem with what they're doing to Sterling, I think he's a poor excuse for a human being. The question I do have is if Donald Sterling were black, hispanic, etc. and made comments as disgusting about whites as Sterling made about blacks, would he still be getting his team taken away?

I think we all know the answer to that question is probably no. The social pressure put upon the NBA would not have been the same and hence the punishment would not be the same. This whole thing is primarily about $$$$$$$$$$$.

Frankly, I understand why the NBA did what they did. I also don't think the NBA needed to proactively take Sterling's team from him and it would have probably gotten the result it wanted. They could have reprimanded him severely, fined him, taken other action and the whole thing would have worked itself out. No players would want to sign with his team with him as owner. The problem would have sorted itself out entirely on it's own. I get why they took the action they took. But I suspect he might have been more likely to sell the team had the league reprimanded him in another way and let things take their course. As it stands now it is prone to be an ongoing shit storm of a legal battle. No real harm in that course either save it will be a nonstop talking head fest.

As for Cuban - he is being honest. If you are walking down the street and see someone you think might hurt you walking towards you, you are going to be apprehensive. That's human nature.

I think we all know the answer to that question is probably no. The social pressure put upon the NBA would not have been the same and hence the punishment would not be the same. This whole thing is primarily about $$$$$$$$$$$.

Frankly, I understand why the NBA did what they did. I also don't think the NBA needed to proactively take Sterling's team from him and it would have probably gotten the result it wanted. They could have reprimanded him severely, fined him, taken other action and the whole thing would have worked itself out. No players would want to sign with his team with him as owner. The problem would have sorted itself out entirely on it's own. I get why they took the action they took. But I suspect he might have been more likely to sell the team had the league reprimanded him in another way and let things take their course. As it stands now it is prone to be an ongoing shit storm of a legal battle. No real harm in that course either save it will be a nonstop talking head fest.

As for Cuban - he is being honest. If you are walking down the street and see someone you think might hurt you walking towards you, you are going to be apprehensive. That's human nature.

If they had allowed him to keep the team and just "let things take their course," then his franchise would've lost some serious value. And based on how pro sports franchises work, THEIR franchise would have lost some serious value because of that. That's why they did this. You got things right in your first paragraph. It's just about $$$$$

If they had allowed him to keep the team and just "let things take their course," then his franchise would've lost some serious value. And based on how pro sports franchises work, THEIR franchise would have lost some serious value because of that. That's why they did this. You got things right in your first paragraph. It's just about $$$$$

Fair enough.

He actually did admit to acting on them in a positive way. When he saw prejudice pop up in his company he tried to address it with the person. The last thing we need is when someone starts a dialogue like this is for another person to say "that sounds racist". I really do fear we are coming to a place where all dialogue will be shut down because people will be scared to be branded a racist.

Lots of collateral damage of innocents under this scenario though, from players to staff to part-time game day employees who would continue to work for an asshole who is bleeding money. Can't be a good situation to work in.

Cuban has a lot more leeway than Sterling in that he is known as a "Maverick" (lol) among the owners and LOVE LOVE LOVES to play devils advocate. Probably one of the cooler bosses to play for in the league. Also, dude managed a Dairy Queen after talking shit about them.

It might actually work best for Sterling in the long run if they force home to sell the team.

He is looking at a pretty big tax hit on the sale of the team but a forced sale could save him that.

Back