• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Team We Lose to in Play-in Game Wins ACC Baseball Tourney

80deac

Reaction score
Ironic again we beat GT 2/3 in Atlanta and they win the ACC title....and a close loss to them in the play-in game. And we take 2/3 from runner up Maryland.

...and I still dont understand the bracket play. Why did the other 4 teams play Sat. if Maryland was already in? What good was UNCs win over UM.....somebody help a dummie understand.

Just goes to show if GT could win it from a play-in spot, we could have too.

It was pool play so everyone plays three games no matter what.

And yes, it's baseball - a sport with extremely high variance - any team can win if they're in it.

So how do u determine the final 2 if multiple teams went 2-1?

Ok...being a Wake grad I was able to figure it out but being just a Thank you Laude....:) I didn't immediately get it. After looking over all the results, 4 teams go 1-2 and 4 2-1. GT and Md go to final because they beat the other 2-1 team in their pool. Well, still seems like a weird way to get to a champion. If no one goes undefeated its really a roulette wheel chance to b champ.

The ACC Tournament format is a joke, and is nowhere near as exciting as a good old double elimination tournament where every game means something.

If there are two teams at 2-1, it's a head to head tiebreak. If there are three teams, the better seeded team goes as a reward for having the better regular season. Yes, it's an awful format.

Maybe they need to fix the tiebreaks, but the format I think is good and smart. No need to kill teams with tons of games at all hours right before the NCAAs

The play-in was a really good game. they had the one inning, and I did not see any terribly fat pitches in the rally. They just got to our pitcher for that one bit. We came back and played well, and they made some very good plays on defense down the stretch. Deacs were playing well at the end of the season after that swoon.

Agree abt us...totally different team after 1st game at Raleigh and the GT LFer won the game for them on 2 grabs that would hv bn doubles and, IIRC, scored runs each.

I think the format is too weird to justify calling it a championship. 8 teams seperated by 1 game and 4 tied at 2-1 and the only factor at reaching the final was if you beat the other team once. That didn't take into acct regular season standings nor 3-game series result with the opponent.

By Md playing first Sat, it rendered the FSU vs UVa gm useless and didn't even need to be played (since Md beat both.)

The FSU/UVA game was already useless. None of the games mattered on Saturday in that pool. Maryland clinched when UVA beat UNC on Friday night.

Maybe they need to fix the tiebreaks, but the format I think is good and smart. No need to kill teams with tons of games at all hours right before the NCAAs

ACC Tournament over on Sunday, NCAA starts on Friday, 4 complete days of rest for all pitchers and players. Of course it was a mighty convenient excuse for the continued failure of ACC coaches when we played the double elimination. Don't know why they're still failing now.

They're going to switch back to DE. They announced they would this year but then inexplicably changed it without telling anybody.

Uh, not quite!

7 ACC teams: FSU, Miami, UVA, UNC, GT, MD, Clemson

Thought Duke would make it but just missed....guess those wins over us didn't help....:tard:

Oh no! UNC has to go on the road! Guess the NCAA couldn't figure out a way to give them their normal cakewalk to Omaha with 25 losses.

Duke didn't make it, but they ruined our chance at making it. Really crazy that the 4th seed in the ACC didn't make the tournament.

Football bowl game...no Wake
NCAA basketball tourney...no Wake
NCAA baseball tourney...no Wake

I'm watching the NCAA golf tourney on the Golf Channel...our effing flagship sport...no Wake

Back