• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Belmont is Saturday

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
There could have been a real nightmare at Belmont this week. Chrome was out for a gallop an opposum decide to walk across the track in Chrome's path. Many times horse jump and get hurt or step on the animal by not seeing him.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/tri...1/california-chrome-unfazed-opossum-encounter

The race is getting easier and easier. Danza went out earlier last week. A couple of days ago Intense Holiday got hurt.

Watch out for Tonalist.

Last edited:
"The focus on everything California Chrome does in the next two weeks will only continue to get sharper, from the nasal strip he'll wear to the possum that didn't scare him.

That also includes his training program -- according to The Daily News' Jerry Bossert, assistant trainer Alan Sherman saw California Chrome take a two-mile gallop on Sunday.

"He trained like a monster today," Sherman told Bossert. "I can just see it in his stride and the way he’s taking hold of (exercise rider) Willie (Delgado). He seems to like this track.”

Delgado noted California Chrome exercises more caution on wet surfaces, so he flew on a dry dirt track like the one he encountered on Sunday.

"He went over the track beautifully," Delgado said. "I couldn't have asked for anything better than that. Today, when the sun was hitting him. He was shining like a new penny. He looks so good right now."

Chrome was out for a gallop an opposum decide to walk across the track in Chrome's path. Many times horse jump and get hurt or step on the animal by not seeing him.

473684560.jpeg

"He went over the track beautifully," Delgado said. "I couldn't have asked for anything better than that. Today, when the sun was hitting him. He was shining like a new penny. He looks so good right now."

:wtftard:

HBO Real Sports just aired a feature on PEDs in horse racing. Shooting up injured horses so they could race, injecting healthy horses with harmful drugs, etc. Among trainers they went after: Pletcher, Baffert and they interviewed Asmussen. Some pretty damning and disgusting stuff. That show seems to have it out for horse racing, as they had a couple of earlier episodes that put the sport in a negative light.

Asmussen has gotten in a lot of trouble for this as has Doug O'Neill. I don't remember Baffert ever being charged or suspended for anything.

Yeah, they said Asmussen horses had 25-30 drug violations. Baffert apparently had about 7 horses from his stable die from heart attacks. He was investigated, but cleared IIRC. He said he has stopped using the drug that was found in the 7 dead horses.

Here's a fun thing. If Baffert has two horses in race, bet on the higher odds one. This hits a lot.

They are running stupid fast at Belmont today. If this keeps going, it should be a wild race.

They are talking about possible rain next weekend in NYC. If it is muddy, you can throw out all the closers. It's a very basic reason why. Unless your closer goes very wide, he'll be running in paths of the previous horses. When you do that you go deeper into the mud. It takes a lot more out of you.

Chrome should be sitting well in the mud, but he's never run in it. Tonalist won the Peter Pan in the slop.

What's very surprising is that field for the Belmont seems much tougher than for the Preakness. Right now I'd have Tonalist, Curves and Wicked Strong as the horses that are just below Chrome. Commissioner is a wild card.

Last edited:
Take a look at the field:

Horse Sire Dam
California Chrome Lucky Pulpit Love The Chase
Commanding Curve Master Command Mother
Commissioner A.P. Indy Flaming Heart
General a Rod Roman Ruler Dynamite Eyes
Kid Cruz Lemon Drop Kid Layreebelle
Matterhorn Tapit Winter Garden
Medal Count Dynaformer Brisquette
Matuszak Bernardini Golden Sonata
Ride On Curlin Curlin Magical Ride
Samraat Noble Causeway Little Indian Girl
Social Inclusion Pioneer of the Nile Saint Bernadette
Tonalist Tapit Settling Mist
Wicked Strong Hard Spun Moyne Abbey

Here are some online odds:

Belmont Odds

California Chrome 1-1
Ride On Curlin 5-1
Commanding Curve 15-2
Tonalist 15-2
Wicked Strong 9-1
Medal Count 14-1
Samraat 20-1
Comissioner 33-1
Matterhorn 33-1
Social Inclusion 33-1
Kid Cruz 40-1
Matuszak 40-1
General a Rod —

Last edited:
1-1? WTF does that even mean? They just hold your money and give it back to you if you bet on Chrome?

I'm aware of that, but I don't know what that means in terms of payout. I don't gamble, obviously.

Like Dawg said you make $1 profit for every dollar you bet. If you bet $5, you get back $10.

If you $2 on one of the horses that are 15-2, you'd get back $17 for your $2 ticket.

Thanks for this thread. I thought the Belmont was around Christmastime.

Samraat looks decent at those odds.....the best shot at beating Chrome was Danza, in my opinion. Tonalist moves into that spot now. Wicked Strong should be tough as well.

Back