• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Reinvigorated, Wellman Looks to the Future

Ph, I'm not sure what your point is. A restaurant could make great pizza, but still not be making enough of it to meet demand. I'm just not about placing blame on any one individual. I think the fault lies mainly in our budget, compared to that of our competitors. I want us to collectively help move the programs forward.

Wellman has completed some great facility projects, but we have not completed nearly enough of them to keep up with the rest of college athletics. In some areas, we are years behind. In order to keep up, we need more funding. We can't build with money we don't have.

Facilities are about quality, not quantity. If you need too many facility projects over 22 years, they weren't good enough in the first place.

Ph, I'm not sure what your point is. A restaurant could make great pizza, but still not be making enough of it to meet demand. I'm just not about placing blame on any one individual. I think the fault lies mainly in our budget, compared to that of our competitors. I want us to collectively help move the programs forward.

Wellman has completed some great facility projects, but we have not completed nearly enough of them to keep up with the rest of college athletics. In some areas, we are years behind. In order to keep up, we need more funding. We can't build with money we don't have.

I'm not buying this argument at all. Our weightlifting and workout facility sucks, but the majority of our facilities are good-great and relatively new. We've got a top notch Soccer facility, brand new Tennis stadium, world class golf complex, Deacon Tower/video board, a good basketball practice facility, and a good/great baseball stadium. The Joel isn't great by any means, but it's rockin when we've got a good team.

Facilities are very much about quantity. Some facilities built 5 years ago can be already outdated. The Sports Center we are working on will be a brand new facility...by the time it's done, it will be about 5-7 years too late, and then put us that much further behind the schools that have already built the next step in that. Honestly, that facility is an enormously huge deal for our ability to recruit and stay relevant. We have been the only school in the ACC lacking one.

Expand facilities to other projects like training tables, locker rooms, food allowances, study lounges, gear, etc. These are all brand new projects that didn't exist 5 years ago. They're also projects that eliminate schools from competition for recruits when you don't have them. Having them costs money. We need more money to fund them.

I'm not buying this argument at all. Our weightlifting and workout facility sucks, but the majority of our facilities are good-great and relatively new. We've got a top notch Soccer facility, brand new Tennis stadium, world class golf complex, Deacon Tower/video board, a good basketball practice facility, and a good/great baseball stadium. The Joel isn't great by any means, but it's rockin when we've got a good team.

Our soccer facility, tennis stadium, and golf complex are great. You are right. Deacon Tower is great, but not nearly enough to overcome our deficiencies in many other areas of the Football program. I mean, if you think about it, if we have the lowest budget in the ACC, we have to be deficient in several areas, right? How could we possibly have the lowest budget, have some of the highest tuition expenses, and still think that we can provide the same facilities, recruiting resources, and student-athlete support (academic support, food allowance, gear...lots of the stuff I mentioned earlier) of our competitors? The solution is to increase our budget.

When I think of reinvigorated I definitely think of a man that looks like this.

538a5bc7ee3cf.preview-300.jpg

Also the argument you are making is donate money so that we can compete, the argument everyone else is making is that you dont donate money to a ship where the captain is a complete fucktard. You know what's more important than any facilities, a fucking coach. Who was in charge of hiring the man that took a team that was number 1 before his tenure and in the second round of the tournament and put it in the gutter. Why would anyone donate to an organization that is so incompetent? The bigger problem for all of our athletic programs is the dumb notion of the Wake Forest Way and self imposed restriction created because we have some false sense that we are morally superior to everyone else. After that is coaching, Skip and in the beginning Grobe seemed to do fine with our facilities which were much worse than they are now. After that sure facilities and recruiting budgets but its down the list, way down from number one which is king of Wake Forest Way, Mr Ron Wellman.

I'm not saying the Athletic Department is infallible, I just don't know nearly enough to criticize anyone. The one thing I do know is our budgets are lower than our peers, and my hope is that our most ardent fans and supporters help increase this budget by increasing our donations. If we do not have faith in individuals, donate toward a specific project, such as the Sports Performance Center. Then you know exactly where your money goes and how it will be spent.

Facilities are very much about quantity. Some facilities built 5 years ago can be already outdated. The Sports Center we are working on will be a brand new facility...by the time it's done, it will be about 5-7 years too late, and then put us that much further behind the schools that have already built the next step in that. Honestly, that facility is an enormously huge deal for our ability to recruit and stay relevant. We have been the only school in the ACC lacking one.

Expand facilities to other projects like training tables, locker rooms, food allowances, study lounges, gear, etc. These are all brand new projects that didn't exist 5 years ago. They're also projects that eliminate schools from competition for recruits when you don't have them. Having them costs money. We need more money to fund them.

Everything can't be new all the time, especially on a campus like ours where the athletes are so highly integrated with the student body. Sports facilities aren't a black and white issue, it's a continuum where we're never going to keep up with the Jones's, but we're still respectable and competitive. The few mid-major programs that have nicer facilities than us also have much larger student bodies and larger donating alumni bases than us.

Also the argument you are making is donate money so that we can compete, the argument everyone else is making is that you dont donate money to a ship where the captain is a complete fucktard...Skip and in the beginning Grobe seemed to do fine with our facilities which were much worse than they are now. After that sure facilities and recruiting budgets but its down the list, way down from number one which is king of Wake Forest Way, Mr Ron Wellman.

Much has changed in the past 10-15 years, since Grobe and Skip took over. The rapid expansion of fundraising and sponsor revenue, along with NCAA loosening restriction on provisions for athletes, meant an enormous escalation of what schools could provide student-athletes. So the gap in school budgets has greatly increased over the past 10-15 years.

My hope is that we donate to Wake to help our school succeed, rather than wish it failure because of disagreements with leadership. Why not do our best to support the new coaches by providing them with the necessary funding to succeed?

Everything can't be new all the time, especially on a campus like ours where the athletes are so highly integrated with the student body. Sports facilities aren't a black and white issue, it's a continuum where we're never going to keep up with the Jones's, but we're still respectable and competitive. The few mid-major programs that have nicer facilities than us also have much larger student bodies and larger donating alumni bases than us.

I agree with you. It's a large part of the reason for why we are where we are competitively.

High tuitions and low budgets come down to leadership. Spending money on soon to be outdated facilities? Leadership.

Hand nails it though. Most of us don't have money to just throw around to someone who is committed to mediocrity.

Ugh. I can't read any of his quotes without getting angry. To an extent, part of his job is to spin. But at least have a kernel of truth in what you're spinning.

Totally agree. He is still insulting the intelligence of the Wake alumni and fan base with his insipid attempts at spin.

Someone needs to tell Ron Wellman that no one buys his pathetic attempts at spin anymore and he is just digging himself a deeper hole the more he keeps it up.

High tuitions and low budgets come down to leadership. Spending money on soon to be outdated facilities? Leadership.

Hand nails it though. Most of us don't have money to just throw around to someone who is committed to mediocrity.

All facilities now are soon to be outdated - or need some kind of updating every few years. If we choose not to spend money on soon to be outdated facilities, then we are not building facilities.

Why would we give our money to a man with brain damage?

For whatever value this may be. Obviously there is a lot of room for variance in success, but there also seems to be a general trend in that the greater your investment, the more successful the program.

SchoolBudget
Miami$24,672,810
V Tech
$24,596,694
Florida State
$23,427,950
Louisville
$23,186,536
Syracuse
$22,663,307
UVA
$21,455,217
Clemson
$19,969,497
BC
$19,703,856
Duke
$19,234,750
Georgia Tech
$19,056,786
Pitt
$18,929,148
NC State
$18,486,858
UNC
$15,912,188
Wake Forest
$14,054,107

I glanced "Wellman looks to future" and thought our nightmare was over.

Then, I see the asshole simply being an even bigger asshole.

For whatever value this may be. Obviously there is a lot of room for variance in success, but there also seems to be a general trend in that the greater your investment, the more successful the program.

SchoolBudget
Miami$24,672,810
V Tech
$24,596,694
Florida State
$23,427,950
Louisville
$23,186,536
Syracuse
$22,663,307
UVA
$21,455,217
Clemson
$19,969,497
BC
$19,703,856
Duke
$19,234,750
Georgia Tech
$19,056,786
Pitt
$18,929,148
NC State
$18,486,858
UNC
$15,912,188
Wake Forest
$14,054,107

Yeah, those numbers don't really pass the sniff test. UNC spends $3M less than BC? Nah, I don't think so. Those are unaudited results, don't exactly trust them to be comparable.

Back