• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Reinvigorated, Wellman Looks to the Future

“A lot of factors contribute to that, and it’s simple,” Wellman said. “We just haven’t been as successful as we need to be.
“You can talk about injuries, you can talk about recruits that didn’t come that you thought you were going to get to come, you can talk about a lot of factors. We just haven’t done as well as we need to do. And we’ve got to find ways to do better.

Yeah, I can think of one factor above all others, numbnuts.

“I think we’ll be better (in 2014-15) than the last three years, but we’re still not where we want to be and need to be. Our goal is to be in the top 25. And we’ve done that.”

Disco Dan should have gone all Bob Costas in Pootie Tang on that quote

Wellman: Cole me on the panny sty.

Disco Dan: ...I'm sorry. What was that?

Wellman: Cole - Cole me on the panny sty.

Disco Dan: What the hell are you talking about?

Wellman: ...Cole me down on the panny sty?

Disco Dan: Oh, cole me down on the panny sty! All right!

Last edited:
“You can talk about injuries, you can talk about recruits that didn’t come that you thought you were going to get to come...

In every fucking sport???

The only question for Wake sports is if the same people who have been falling for Wellman's BS for many years will continue to do so. If so, he will ride off on a white horse on his timetable and probably pick his successor. If not, he will be forced to basically be AD Emeritus and have nothing to do with the selection process for his successor.

Dude loves his factors

“A lot of factors contribute to that, and it’s simple,” Wellman said. “We just haven’t been as successful as we need to be.

“You can talk about injuries, you can talk about recruits that didn’t come that you thought you were going to get to come, you can talk about a lot of factors.

“There are a number of factors that lead to something like that,” he said. “To go into all of those at this point would probably be useless and nonproductive.

“There are certain factors that are evident in every winning program...

Those are common factors to any program’s success.

The main factor in common with all of the above is the AD. One who let Grobe and his nepotism coast so long he couldn't get the UAB job. One whose bad basketball hire was apparent to all from the beginning, yet he defended it beyond all credulity. One who let the non-revenue sports erode. One whose only legacy will be buildings. We should have hired a real estate agent instead.

Last edited:
Bottom line business: WF needs to be relevant again in football and basketball, and needs to win some ACC titles.

WF is not firing Wellman this year. So, lets see some immediate tangible improvement.

Ron continues to physically resemble the Emperor in Star Wars more and more with each passing month.

His current situation is analagous to Bobby Bowden on a smaller scale. He was once very, very good at what he did. However he is now past his prime, lost motivation and the landscape of college athletics has evolved past his comfort level and skill set.

Every athletic program deals with injuries and recruiting misses. Every single one.

I mean, yeah. Every athletic program in America. I just can't accept Wellman subtly implying that every one of our athletic programs had a bad year because of the same issue that impacts programs everywhere. I think most would infer by RW making that statement, and then discounting it, that he's actually suggesting it was a problem while also covering his ass. For every fucking sport.

Geez, another list we didn't make. Maybe tomorrow.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=top50coaches50-25

[h=3]No. 34: Tad Boyle, Colorado[/h]
i
Boyle took over for former Colorado coach Jeff [Redacted] (whose three sub-.500 seasons were so enticing Wake Forest just had to hire him), and that swap may go down as one of the best coaching upgrades in Colorado hoops history. Boyle has been comprehensively good in Boulder, Colorado, both on the court (where he's 92-49) and off it, where CU fans are now deeply engaged with a program that spent most of the past two decades awash in Chauncey Billups nostalgia.

Also note the lack of "culture" talk, "winning the right way," and "not sacrificing our values" from RW.

I think it is very important that we understand just how far behind Wake Forest is in some facility upgrades that many mid-major schools have now. A prime reason our teams have failed to perform is recruiting. A prime reason our recruiting has failed is facilities and budget-related. It's easy to blame things on people - and there may be plenty of blame on individuals as well. But a very large portion of the blame is on numbers, too.

Dan's point on WF tuition/endowment and budget is spot-on. I'd be interested in more exploration of that topic.

[h=3]No. 34: Tad Boyle, Colorado[/h]
i
Boyle took over for former Colorado coach Jeff [Redacted] (whose three sub-.500 seasons were so enticing Wake Forest just had to hire him), and that swap may go down as one of the best coaching upgrades in Colorado hoops history. Boyle has been comprehensively good in Boulder, Colorado, both on the court (where he's 92-49) and off it, where CU fans are now deeply engaged with a program that spent most of the past two decades awash in Chauncey Billups nostalgia.

If Wellman's fuck up with the Bzdelick hire this isn't the epitome of ineptitude...and his keeping him so long isn't the epitome of cronyism --- that, and that alone, is reason for him to be gone. Don't you just love our flagship sports program (and our AD for hiring him) being mocked in national sports media???

Ugh. I can't read any of his quotes without getting angry. To an extent, part of his job is to spin. But at least have a kernel of truth in what you're spinning.

I think it is very important that we understand just how far behind Wake Forest is in some facility upgrades that many mid-major schools have now. A prime reason our teams have failed to perform is recruiting. A prime reason our recruiting has failed is facilities and budget-related. It's easy to blame things on people - and there may be plenty of blame on individuals as well. But a very large portion of the blame is on numbers, too.

Dan's point on WF tuition/endowment and budget is spot-on. I'd be interested in more exploration of that topic.

So we are behind in facilities and none of that is the fault of our AD whose calling card is facilities.

Thanks for the summary.

Back