• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car recommendations

My theory is 20 somethings hate Subaru because the logo looks like something from Star Trek

Last edited:
That SUV thread from back in January was mine I believe. We got a new Jeep Cherokee, which we've loved so far. It did break down once on the highway (and yeah that's a pretty big negative) due to the electronics controlling the CVT shitting the bed and not being able to switch gears, but aside from that issue, no problems at all. The new 9-speed CVT in it has been having some issues since it's a brand new gearbox, but Jeep has been putting out a lot of software updates to remedy those problems. Price was good considering it gets a LOT of options that other cars in that size segment can't get, and the space inside is great. But if you aren't looking at new, it's not really an option...

My theory is 20 somethings hate Subaru because the logo looks like something from Star Trek

Also the interiors kinda suck (quality and options-wise) and while they get great gas mileage and can drive through most anything, they aren't fun at all to drive. At least, not the fully loaded 2014 Forester we test drove. The Jeep interior blew it completely out of the water and it's much more fun to drive, for what ended up being the same price after discounts on the Jeep.

Bought my college aged daughter a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback. I've been very impressed. Lot's of good features on entry level models; quiet ride; great mileage; all her stuff fits in it. It had 12,600 miles and we snagged it for less than 13k.
Quite an improvement over the 92' Volvo 240d she drove in high school. Funny, my older son has reclaimed the Volvo and become quite fond of it. It's doing pretty good for a 22 yr. old car.

Also the interiors kinda suck (quality and options-wise) and while they get great gas mileage and can drive through most anything, they aren't fun at all to drive. At least, not the fully loaded 2014 Forester we test drove. The Jeep interior blew it completely out of the water and it's much more fun to drive, for what ended up being the same price after discounts on the Jeep.

This is very true. However, if you just want performance without frill (extra cost) you cannot beat Subaru. I don't know about fully loaded, as I stay away from those on the Subaru lot.

spiffy I think you can get an Forester XT with a nicer interior than the base model for only ~$1500 more, disc would know more

spiffy I think you can get an Forester XT with a nicer interior than the base model for only ~$1500 more, disc would know more

That my be true, but even so, the interiors don't match up with some of the other cars in that range. Even the top of the line GPS+stereo setup looks like an aftermarket install in my opinion (I guess because the GPS and audio systems aren't actually integrated with each other?). I'm not really trying to bash Subaru outright, since I know that they make really quality vehicles, just in this case it didn't compare well to our car (which admittedly we got for something like $4500 off the sticker price before taxes).

No Bluetooth?

No, every time you want to listen to music it ALWAYS started with the 1st song in your library (ie you couldn't shuffle songs, etc). Lots of people upset (go to CX-5 forums). Mazda aware of the issue and said it was operating the way it was designed! Don't know if it's been fixed....

The Forester's interior is certainly not very luxurious, but nice enough place to spend time and really operate compared to a lot of newer cars. I liked it quite a bit, but then I'm also a Subie loyalist and not to mention a grumpy old man at heart.

The new Outback's interior looks really nice though.

Bought my college aged daughter a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback. I've been very impressed. Lot's of good features on entry level models; quiet ride; great mileage; all her stuff fits in it. It had 12,600 miles and we snagged it for less than 13k.

We bought a 2013 Ford Escape for our college-bound daughter with around the same mileage. She likes how it looks and creature comforts. We're all happy with it (so far).

Without hijacking, SBTtoy and I are looking at upgrading to an SUV pretty soon, and among the things we're wanting to do with the SUV is drive it on the OBX beaches. Her brother has a Land Rover LR3 and her dad has a Jeep CJ5, which are obviously top notch for off-road. Without going too crazy (Land Rover) or too niche (Wrangler), what are good SUVs for this purpose?

Looking mainly at the Grand Cherokee, primarily because of the adjustable lift suspension, but I don't know if there any other SUVs that have that feature, or if that feature is entirely unnecessary.

Without hijacking, SBTtoy and I are looking at upgrading to an SUV pretty soon, and among the things we're wanting to do with the SUV is drive it on the OBX beaches. Her brother has a Land Rover LR3 and her dad has a Jeep CJ5, which are obviously top notch for off-road. Without going too crazy (Land Rover) or too niche (Wrangler), what are good SUVs for this purpose?

Looking mainly at the Grand Cherokee, primarily because of the adjustable lift suspension, but I don't know if there any other SUVs that have that feature, or if that feature is entirely unnecessary.

The "automatic" shifting 4 wheel drive systems are not ideal for driving on sand. You can do it but take a tow strap and shovel with you (good advice anyway). Real 4wd high and low settings are best and clearance and tire pressure is key. I've pulled many Honda CRVs or Toyota RAVs out of the sand over the years. People freak out but those things are so light you can practically push them out of the sand after putting some boards in front of the wheels.

However, I know a guy that leaves a little Subaru hatchback out on Portsmouth Island with his camping gear and just rides the ferry over on foot. He drives all over that island in that Subaru AWD. So it's possible.

The "automatic" shifting 4 wheel drive systems are not ideal for driving on sand. You can do it but take a tow strap and shovel with you (good advice anyway). Real 4wd high and low settings are best and clearance and tire pressure is key. I've pulled many Honda CRVs or Toyota RAVs out of the sand over the years. People freak out but those things are so light you can practically push them out of the sand after putting some boards in front of the wheels.

Yeah, all that makes sense. I don't know that the JGC has the hi/lo settings on the 4WD, it just has the terrain selector. I guess my question is, with some of the SUVs these days being more of a crossover like the Explorer or the Highlander, are the clearances of those enough, or are we pretty much limited to the truck-based SUVs like the Tahoe or the adjustable lift SUVs like the JCG and the LRs?

Yeah, we're wanting a full-size SUV, nothing like a Subaru, CRV or RAV4. Tailgating, skiing, beaching, hauling, towing, and an eventual family car is what we're trying to get now.

Yeah, we're wanting a full-size SUV, nothing like a Subaru, CRV or RAV4. Tailgating, skiing, beaching, hauling, towing, and an eventual family car is what we're trying to get now.

289395.jpg

Back