• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car recommendations

I think the soul just had a recall

As a general update to my prior questions we ended up buying a 2014 XC90. Nice car for sure but holy shit every hot soccer milf in Winston has one

Anyone here looked at the X3 vs X5? Trying to justify the difference in price, though they don't seem that much different.

That's what we got. Fresh off the truck.

Things came full circle. We traded in a 2006 Corolla which I got literally hours before I met my wife. At that time, she had a red 2006 Forester which we traded in for a Highlander before our first son was born. Since then she's been pining for a Subaru and now she got one.

Enjoy!

Anyone here looked at the X3 vs X5? Trying to justify the difference in price, though they don't seem that much different.

My wife has the X3 (2010) and my sister has an X5 (2008). The X5 is definitely bigger, both in the seating area and in the cargo area. I didn't notice the size difference too much with one kid, but the X3 does feel a little cramped with 2 kids because there is a car seat behind each seat so I can't go back to far. I've always had either a bigger SUV or pickup while my wife has had the X3, so haven't really cared about smaller cargo area, but that might be an issue if it is going to be your primary vehicle for carrying things. Having driven both, I do think the X3 is faster (though we have the bigger engine which was phased out when they overhauled it a year or two ago) and handles better, unless you are dropping $80k on the M version of the X5.

Hope the stereo issue has been fixed on the CX-5...ie used to be every time your turned on your I phone or IPod it ALWAYS started with the 1st song in your library. If you had an extensive list - you'd get real tired of hearing the same songs....(no way to shuffle, etc). Reason I passed on the CX-5, liked it otherwise.

I owned two X5s (2003, 2007). In the first iterations of the X3 and X5 the X3 was too small and the X5 was just right. They have since made both vehicles bigger, so that the X3 is probably closer to just right, but still a little too small, the X5 is now too big (although the 2014s look a little smaller, but I have no facts to support that), and most importantly the X5 is really underpowered unless you get the V8.

The 3.0 was great for the original X5s, and then they made it bigger while keeping the same engine. They realized the problem and now sell them with a base '3.5' but that is sort of smoke and mirrors since it is still the 3.0L inline 6 with some turbo added. It still sucks though, bc a BMW should feel like driving a BMW and the 6 cylinder X5s do not. The V8 flies, but then you are looking at a starting MSRP of like 70K, at which point you might as well get a cayenne.

A Q5 is a good alternative that is right in between the X3 and X5 in size.

I owned two X5s (2003, 2007). In the first iterations of the X3 and X5 the X3 was too small and the X5 was just right. They have since made both vehicles bigger, so that the X3 is probably closer to just right, but still a little too small, the X5 is now too big (although the 2014s look a little smaller, but I have no facts to support that), and most importantly the X5 is really underpowered unless you get the V8.

The 3.0 was great for the original X5s, and then they made it bigger while keeping the same engine. They realized the problem and now sell them with a base '3.5' but that is sort of smoke and mirrors since it is still the 3.0L inline 6 with some turbo added. It still sucks though, bc a BMW should feel like driving a BMW and the 6 cylinder X5s do not. The V8 flies, but then you are looking at a starting MSRP of like 70K, at which point you might as well get a cayenne.

I'm disappointed that I had to wait for the last sentence for you to pimp the Q5.

The X5 with the V8 drinks gas too. You might as well buy a fucking Suburban.

I liked the X5 drove it with the gas engine, didn't seem like it had a ton of power but enough. Waiting for dealer to get a diesel in stock. The mileage on the X5D is pretty good and with premium/diesel parity seems to make sense, though I need to convince the wife of the whole diesel thing.

Drove the Q5 this past weekend, not really impressed with the car, though the dealership may have had something to do with that as well.

The Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited looks like it's the same size as my Mazda 6 (my favorite thing about it), but with all-wheel drive and much better gas mileage (27/36 vs. 21/30), and is similarly priced. Think I know where I'm looking next.

The Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited looks like it's the same size as my Mazda 6 (my favorite thing about it), but with all-wheel drive and much better gas mileage (27/36 vs. 21/30), and is similarly priced. Think I know where I'm looking next.

I drive a Mazda 3 and was considering changing it up for an Impreza for Awd... But I test drove the Subaru and it was just not as fun to drive. Guess it's a toss-up between better gas mileage in the Impreza and more horsepower & response in the Mazda. In addition to less horsepower, the Subarus all use CVT transmissiomns now to boost gas mileage. Great cars, and I would still strongly consider one when I do decide to get a different car... But didn't want to give up the more sporty feel at this point.

We went from a Mazda 3 hatchback to a manual Impreza hatchback - for all the rain and mountain driving around here, it was absolutely the right switch. Not quite as zippy as the Mazda was, but the manual is still plenty fun to drive and the AWD is so, so worth it.

Anyone have experience with the nissan rogue? Looking for a small SUV that can drive in boston winters and easily park in the city.

I drive a Mazda 3 and was considering changing it up for an Impreza for Awd... But I test drove the Subaru and it was just not as fun to drive. Guess it's a toss-up between better gas mileage in the Impreza and more horsepower & response in the Mazda. In addition to less horsepower, the Subarus all use CVT transmissiomns now to boost gas mileage. Great cars, and I would still strongly consider one when I do decide to get a different car... But didn't want to give up the more sporty feel at this point.

We went from a Mazda 3 hatchback to a manual Impreza hatchback - for all the rain and mountain driving around here, it was absolutely the right switch. Not quite as zippy as the Mazda was, but the manual is still plenty fun to drive and the AWD is so, so worth it.

Thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah, I've driven a Mazda for 7 years now so I'm totally team #zoomzoom, but now that I have to deal with actual winters again I'm almost certainly getting an AWD for my next car. I wrecked my previous Mazda while driving in a rather mild NY state snowfall and that experience left me very wary about driving in bad weather (had a Nissan before it that absolutely beasted the snow in CT).

Anyone have experience with the nissan rogue? Looking for a small SUV that can drive in boston winters and easily park in the city.

we had one and liked it a lot. it's pretty small, but there's more storage room than you think

i'm not familiar with how it would handle boston winter driving though.

Thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah, I've driven a Mazda for 7 years now so I'm totally team #zoomzoom, but now that I have to deal with actual winters again I'm almost certainly getting an AWD for my next car. I wrecked my previous Mazda while driving in a rather mild NY state snowfall and that experience left me very wary about driving in bad weather (had a Nissan before it that absolutely beasted the snow in CT).

that's how i felt about the mazda - every little tiny bump in the road during heavy rain made me feel like i was about to lift off and start hydroplaning. zero traction whatsoever because the car is just so light. very opposite experience w/ the subaru. super grounded during rain, great traction in the snow.

I just traded my impractical 2-door Jeep Wrangler for an impractical 2-door Dodge Challenger. It's sweet, but no bad weather driving for me anymore. Will have to take RDToy's Grand Cherokee for that.

A guy I work with has the SRT8 in red with the black stripe. He actually ordered the orange, but the dumbasses discontinued the orange for a year or two so the computer pushed it to the closest color. It showed up red and he lost his shit on the dealership guy. Then he realized that they simply weren't making the orange any more, so he took it, then they re-introduced the orange a year or two later and he got pissed all over again. You just can't go wrong with the Bo Duke look.

Back