• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car recommendations

A guy I work with has the SRT8 in red with the black stripe. He actually ordered the orange, but the dumbasses discontinued the orange for a year or two so the computer pushed it to the closest color. It showed up red and he lost his shit on the dealership guy. Then he realized that they simply weren't making the orange any more, so he took it, then they re-introduced the orange a year or two later and he got pissed all over again. You just can't go wrong with the Bo Duke look.

Yeah, I would be pretty fucking pissed too if I ordered a car and got a different color, only to have them come back out with that color again a year later.

But then also, he should have done his research.

Nah, he had actually ordered the vehicle in the prior model year when they were still making orange, but it was an SRT8 with manual trans so the wait list was so long that it rolled into the next model year before they actually got to building his order. They then decided to drop the color after he had already ordered it for the prior year and taken the deposit, but never bothered to tell anybody. In other words, he ordered an '09 in orange but got a '10 in red because they didn't get to the orders until they closed out the '09 model year because there was like an 8-month backlog (not sure if those are the right years, but that was the timeframe).

So the wife and I have spent the last week looking at small SUV's.

We are down to the Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost and a V6 Jeep Cherokee (the new, regular Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee). The Jeep has the nicer interior and I like the styling better. Both drive really nice but in different ways - the Ford feels lighter and nimbler, the Jeep heavier and grounded but still fast. The Ford has the smoother transmission. The Jeep is way sexier but the Ford is objectively better in almost every way...gas mileage, cargo area, most likely reliability.

What do I do?

Why not a Subaru Forester?

Any thoughts on the Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX vs Acura RDX? Whatever we do, we are leasing it. Local Audi dealership has a pretty great $389/month lease deal going on the Q5.

We ended up buying the Jeep. The one we wanted was at another dealership so we will take delivery early next week.

Ph, to answer your question, my father-in-law drives Subarus and has had Foresters in the past. I wanted to test drive it because it's gotten good reviews. My wife took one look at it and said, "No. That's my Dad's car." The CRV, which is what my mom drives, was rejected for similar reasons.

Really though, what we liked about the Jeep, I don't think the Subaru would have been able to compete.

Any thoughts on the Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX vs Acura RDX? Whatever we do, we are leasing it. Local Audi dealership has a pretty great $389/month lease deal going on the Q5.

I don't think all 3 are true comps; I feel like someone in this thread mentioned one of the Acura SUVs being pretty small - a dressed up CRV, not really a midsized.

We ended up buying the Jeep. The one we wanted was at another dealership so we will take delivery early next week.

Ph, to answer your question, my father-in-law drives Subarus and has had Foresters in the past. I wanted to test drive it because it's gotten good reviews. My wife took one look at it and said, "No. That's my Dad's car." The CRV, which is what my mom drives, was rejected for similar reasons.

Really though, what we liked about the Jeep, I don't think the Subaru would have been able to compete.

Jeeps are definitely flashier.

I've read really good things about the CX-5 and we went to look at it. It just seemed really chintzy.

Had we not needed a bigger car, we would've gotten the CX5 instead if 9. Seems like a fun car to drive.

Drove the Q5 and wasn't a big fan of it. Just didn't do it for me. I really liked the X3, although the boss thought it was ugly, probably going with the X5. I have heard good things about the MDX.

How many of you have bought new cars outside of the towns you live in? If there has been a mechanical problem while its still under warranty, is it a pain to have to go back to the original dealer or can you use a local dealer?

You know how you're getting old?

You drive a Buick Enclave and actually enjoy the hell out of it.

How many of you have bought new cars outside of the towns you live in? If there has been a mechanical problem while its still under warranty, is it a pain to have to go back to the original dealer or can you use a local dealer?

You can use any dealership for repairs. The dealership gets paid by the manufacturer.

The Q5 and RDX are competitors in the small/midsize luxury SUV segment. The MDX will be much bigger and is more of a Q7 competitor. My friend has a new RDX and loves it and have heard great things about the new MDX. The Acuras will be significantly cheaper but don't have the snob appeal of the audi. If you want a V6 in the audi it will cost you a pretty penny.

Back