• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car recommendations

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
I went back a few pages and couldn't find the new car thread. My daughter just graduated college and I am helping her buy a car. She wants a small SUV and I like them as compared to a sedan for the increased height and safety. The goal is to get her something nice that will last her a number of years. I know a lot of people love the Subaru Forester but she doesn't like them - she is a girl, she has strong feelings on cars she does and doesn't like.

Right now we are focused on the Acura RDX. We are looking at 2010-2012 models with the technology package.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this model? They appear to be a good bit cheaper than the Lexus RX - while, I believe, similarly sized... Is there something else she should be considering? She is a little fixated on the premium brands but the used RDXs don't seem outrageously expensive - as long as it will be reliable for 5 years I think it would be a good car for her...

Had to get a car several months ago and looked at most brands of compact SUVs. What was most remarkable was how similar they were both in body shape and interior appointments, including the luxury nameplates. My favorite was the Mazda CX-5 because of its SkyActiv engine technology. Ended up with a Honda CRX because of a good deal on a very low mileage used model.

A Prius will win the favor of the Wake fanbase in no time. Efficient, smart and practical.

Had to get a car several months ago and looked at most brands of compact SUVs. What was most remarkable was how similar they were both in body shape and interior appointments, including the luxury nameplates. My favorite was the Mazda CX-5 because of its SkyActiv engine technology. Ended up with a Honda CRX because of a good deal on a very low mileage used model.

I'm sure there are plenty steals these bad boys

Honda_CRX_rear_20081209.jpg

A Prius will win the favor of the Wake fanbase in no time. Efficient, smart and practical.

Depending on where you and she stand on the global warming debate, this may be your only option.

My wife has a RAV 4 and its a fantastic little SUV, great gas mileage and does the job well.

I think the RDX is classified as a compact SUV while the RX is a mid-size, but the specs are very close (RX is just slightly bigger in every way, I believe). If you're looking between those two, you can't really go wrong. Both have received very high marks.

If you're looking for something newer (2013 vs. a 2011 or 2010 RDX/RX) and a little less expensive, CR-V's are very solid.

My wife is in the process of moving up to an SUV now that we have a baby, and I think we're going with a 2010 or 2011 RX.

i like the Highlander or CR-V as both seem to do consistently well in consumer reports, i don't have an opinion on RDX

Subaru Forester. Got one for my wife's primary, and it is absolutely fantastic. Price points can't be beat and has mileage is decent. Our family is all Subarus so I am a bit biased, but they are truly well made vehicles.

Agreed on the CX-5. Awesome car. Would've gotten it had we not needed a bigger ride. Went with the CX-9 and it's nice.

Subaru Forester. Got one for my wife's primary, and it is absolutely fantastic. Price points can't be beat and has mileage is decent. Our family is all Subarus so I am a bit biased, but they are truly well made vehicles.

Did you read the original post?
We have a Forester too and love it but he explicitly stated she wouldn't have one for some silly reason.

Love my 2014 CR-V EX.....can fit the bike in the back w/o removing wheels.....

RE: CX-5 - they have a major issue with i phone/i pod hook ups - reason I passed. Nice CUV, otherwise.

Love my 2014 CR-V EX.....can fit the bike in the back w/o removing wheels.....

RE: CX-5 - they have a major issue with i phone/i pod hook ups - reason I passed. Nice CUV, otherwise.

No Bluetooth?

Did you read the original post?
We have a Forester too and love it but he explicitly stated she wouldn't have one for some silly reason.

Yeah I did, but damn it really sounds like the perfect vehicle for her minus her hate of it. I would echo the Honda recs, since it seems she won't budge on the Forester.

Yeah I did, but damn it really sounds like the perfect vehicle for her minus her hate of it. I would echo the Honda recs, since it seems she won't budge on the Forester.

I agree..I was ready to type my response of Forester before he crushed it :)

If you are looking at the RDX, did you look at the X3 or Q5, or possibly the X1?

Does not fit the OP need for wanting a SUV car, but does anyone here have a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid? Thinking of pulling the trigger on something a little green. I do not typically buy new, but the newer models get GREAT MPG. Advertised at 36/40hwy both dealerships I spoke with said the numbers are actually higher if you drive them correctly. Any thoughts? I am figuring it will take about 4 years to make up the difference for the Hybrid model over the regular gas only version.

Back