• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

10 Cent Beer Night

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
40 years ago, what a spectacle it must have been.

Q. Looking back how would you sum up Ten-Cent Beer Night?
A. There were 25,134 fans.
60,000 Genesee beers at 10 cents each.
50 cops.
19 streakers
7 emergency room injuries.
9 arrests.
2 bare moons.
2 bouncing breasts.
1 sportswriter punched in the jaw.
It was the perfect storm. If they ever make a movie out of it, George Clooney will have to play the lead.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/06/dan_coughlin_recalls_the_india.html

40 years ago, what a spectacle it must have been.

Q. Looking back how would you sum up Ten-Cent Beer Night?
A. There were 25,134 fans.
60,000 Genesee beers at 10 cents each.
50 cops.
19 streakers
7 emergency room injuries.
9 arrests.
2 bare moons.
2 bouncing breasts.
1 sportswriter punched in the jaw.
It was the perfect storm. If they ever make a movie out of it, George Clooney will have to play the lead.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/06/dan_coughlin_recalls_the_india.html

Not this shit again.

But seriously, Genesee still only costs about $0.50 a can, we can remake history

Does anyone vividly remember this game? I wasn't born yet, but heard about it on Sportscenter. The pennacle being a fan trying to take the outfielders hat..... BOOM, all hell officially breaks out.

Apparently there was a beer truck that was worked by 2 females, who were getting harrassed so much, they just walked away....what a train wreck.

Does anyone vividly remember this game? I hadn't slashed my first throat and buried the body under my floorboards yet, but heard about it on Sportscenter. The pennacle being a fan trying to take the outfielders hat..... BOOM, all hell officially breaks out.

Apparently there was a beer truck that was worked by 2 females, who were getting harrassed so much, they just walked away....what a train wreck.
PaternoShrug.jpg

Most amazing thing to me was that after that debacle, the Indians held another 10 cent beer night before the end of that season (with more security).

I remember Disco Demolition night. That was televised where I grew up.

Didn't they use to have penny beer nights at Ziggys?

I lived in NE Ohio at the time. I was 12 when in happened and remember it. The Indians totally sucked then, so they needed promotions to get people to the ball park. I still remember the picture of Jeff Burroughs.

It used to be $5 all you can drink. But ALE said it was illegal to give away beer, so they started charging a penny.

I went to visit family in CT one Christmas and my cousin took me to some bar that had PENNY DRINKS til 11pm, most of the place was hammered long before then. I don't recall much, but I know I tried to danceoff this black girl, later I was vomiting in the mens room sink, a huge brawl broke out and like 17 cop cars showed up. I almost got frostbite from hanging out the car window on the drive home, and when I did get home I vomited in the turkey roasting pan they were going to use to cook Christmas dinner.

That was Freddy Bs.

Ziggy's had the same issue. I remember paying some money up front as a cover at Ziggy's. Pretty sure it was the $5 Biff mentioned because the one thing I do remember thinking at the time was that it would cost me that much to buy a 12 of Beast or Beast Light, and this way I could actually drink more while paying the same amount. And I did. Yelled at the band too, IIRC.

Back