• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brien Taylor Unmade: An oral history

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...e-fall-new-york-yankees-pitcher-brien-taylor\

Top pick could've made Core Four the Fab Five, if not for a night in North Carolina.

Taylor, a shy, 6-foot-3 kid from a double-wide trailer in coastal Beaufort, N.C., was the last high school pitcher selected No. 1 overall in baseball's draft. The New York Yankees -- yes, they held the first pick in June 1991 -- had visions of a left-handed Pedro Martinez or maybe a harder-throwing Randy Johnson.

Taylor never ended up joining his one-time spring training roommate Derek Jeter on the Yankees' dynasty teams. Still, some believe he was the greatest pitching prospect in the history of the draft.

I remember hoping to score his rookie card in a pack. That was a seriously valuable card back then, at least to a little kid.

I remember hoping to score his rookie card in a pack. That was a seriously valuable card back then, at least to a little kid.

Yeah, I remember vividly buying a bunch of packs one day with my friends and we ended up with 5 or 6 of them. We consulted the BECKETT BOOK and they were worth like 3 bucks which was a lot for a card from that year. Probably shouldn't have planned my retirement around the guaranteed appreciation of those cards.

He was a few years older than me but I remember hearing a ton about him when I was a kid growing up in central/eastern NC. He was legit. A shame it all was wasted

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember vividly buying a bunch of packs one day with my friends and we ended up with 5 or 6 of them. We consulted the BECKETT BOOK and they were worth like 3 bucks which was a lot for a card from that year. Probably shouldn't have planned my retirement around the guaranteed appreciation of those cards.

Haha I just KNOW my Hideo Nomo RCs are gonna rebound.

A very sad story - hope some of his bonus $ was spent well. IIRC, the guy that threw that punch was a fairly close friend, in a heated situation. He does have a lane named after him in his small community, North River. I pass it every several weeks and think how much good could have been - that area could have used any help.

Per Wikipedia the injury happened when he went to the trailer of his brothers assailant and tried to land a haymaker. When he missed he tore up his arm. Sad how things can change in the blink of an eye

The internet just MURDERED the card market. My Flair Showcase KOBE rookie that was worth $20 in 1997 was going to pay for my house right now.

Wait, so baseball cards aren't a good investment? I do remember the Brien Taylor rookie card.

brien.jpg

I barely remember Van Poppel in the majors. Ben Macdonald was halfway decent for a while.

Didn't know Taylor was in jail until this article.

You realize that both of those guys pitched in the major leagues for several seasons and Brien Taylor didn't get past AA ball and is now in prison, right?

The common thread is "early 90's rookie cards that were huge for about three minutes." You're right though, the incarceration/no MLB career thing is unique to Taylor.

Back