• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston/Bar Harbor Vacation

Oh and if you go to Faneuil from Copley, just go ahead and walk, it's not that far really, you get to walk through the main parks and as of right now, it looks promising to be a very nice day.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be hitting up Harpoon this afternoon. I'm meeting my college roommate's parents at the Summer Shack in Cambridge for dinner. I hear their seafood is amazing.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be hitting up Harpoon this afternoon. I'm meeting my college roommate's parents at the Summer Shack in Cambridge for dinner. I hear their seafood is amazing.

Harpoon is awesome; be sure to get a pretzel in the beer hall there. Harpoon is right next door to Yankee Lobster Co which has a killer Lobster roll and great Lobster Mac n Cheese.

My girlfriend works at Harpoon but has today off or she would have hooked you up!

Yankee Lobster is definitely good and not far from Harpoon but they're both kind of out there in relation to the rest of the city (not far by cab or anything though).

My girlfriend works at Harpoon but has today off or she would have hooked you up!

Yankee Lobster is definitely good and not far from Harpoon but they're both kind of out there in relation to the rest of the city (not far by cab or anything though).

I just did a tour at Harpoon on Saturday. What does your girlfriend do there?

Does a little bit of everything. She's in charge of scheduling for the beer hall, does event planning and tastings off-site, and works in the beer hall doing tours and bartending. I can't remember if she did tours or not on Saturday, I think she was working behind the bar.

What'd you think of the beer hall?

The beer hall was nice, much better than their previous setup according to the staff. My favorite part was the all you can drink 30 min buffet on the tour. Yep, got my moneys worth.

Cab far out there was $20, but I walked to the nearest T station and picked up a 24 hr pass on the way back. I'm tubing with the locals, who apparently think I'm an alien since I open doors and allow ladies to go first. I think I creeped this one girl out on the tour because of how polite I was.

Yeah saying "ma'am" is offensive unless you have a bit of a southern accent. It at the least gets you weird looks. People think I'm being rude when I do that and hold the door open.

It's pretty hot out today, I think it feels like a North Carolina summer day with the humidity.

Glad you enjoyed Harpoon. I'm a big fan of the beer hall.

Does a little bit of everything. She's in charge of scheduling for the beer hall, does event planning and tastings off-site, and works in the beer hall doing tours and bartending. I can't remember if she did tours or not on Saturday, I think she was working behind the bar.

What'd you think of the beer hall?

It is impressive. I didn't enjoy a ton of their beer but the whole place is really cool.

I'm staying at The Taj, which is the former Ritz-Carlton, across the street from the Public Garden the last weekend in July. Will be there first thing Friday morning. Going to the Sox game that night. Need less-touristy lunch recs, especially if there's something in Chinatown or Back Bay. Also, need better recs for pregame than those bars around the stadium.

Headed out to Martha's Vineyard for the weekend afterward and we already have a couple of fancier dinner reservations in Edgartown nailed down. If there's anything else I should be doing there let me know.

Go to the Chappaquiddick bridge where Ted Kennedy did the deed. That is pretty much the only thing I remember from going to Martha's Vineyard as a kid.

I'm staying at The Taj, which is the former Ritz-Carlton, across the street from the Public Garden the last weekend in July. Will be there first thing Friday morning. Going to the Sox game that night. Need less-touristy lunch recs, especially if there's something in Chinatown or Back Bay. Also, need better recs for pregame than those bars around the stadium.

Headed out to Martha's Vineyard for the weekend afterward and we already have a couple of fancier dinner reservations in Edgartown nailed down. If there's anything else I should be doing there let me know.

Give Dershowitz hell, man.

Try Shojo in Chinatown for lunch or dinner. Depending on what kind of other lunch places you're looking for Salty Pig is a good option in the Back Bay area (right across the street from Back Bay Station).

If you're trying to avoid the classic bar types around Fenway right before the game you can check out Island Creek Oyster Bar which is still close to the stadium, or slightly farther away you can try Audubon Circle (walkable to Fenway still but outside the immediate circle area of bars).

Try Shojo in Chinatown for lunch or dinner. Depending on what kind of other lunch places you're looking for Salty Pig is a good option in the Back Bay area (right across the street from Back Bay Station).

If you're trying to avoid the classic bar types around Fenway right before the game you can check out Island Creek Oyster Bar which is still close to the stadium, or slightly farther away you can try Audubon Circle (walkable to Fenway still but outside the immediate circle area of bars).

I'm just trying to avoid the megabars like Cask & Flagon. If there's something a little smaller and less crowded and sanitized that would be good.

I'm just trying to avoid the megabars like Cask & Flagon. If there's something a little smaller and less crowded and sanitized that would be good.

Went to both bars that are connected to the stadium a few weeks ago, and loved them both. The Bullpen was a great pregame spot and wasn't crowded at all - cool that you can walk out the back entrance, scan your ticket, and be inside Fenway. Bleacher Bar in centerfield was very cool for the later innings/after the game as well. Understand you may not be looking for that, but I really enjoyed the atmospheres and nostalgia.

There are some nice bars in the area around Taj tbh. Globe is right by there, and Beantown Pub isn't a far walk (other side of the common). Highball Lounge is over there too, but it's a different vibe (laid back, lots of board games, but expensive and sort of hipstery). If you want more of a sports bar scene, head a few blocks down Boylston and you get Whiskeys, Pour House, McGreevys, and Lir all next to each other. Lir is my favorite of that group, p chill spot. Could also go to one of the bars by Back Bay Station... Brownstone or Clerys. Both are good, but I think the food is better at Brownstone.

As far as lunch spots go, there are a ton of options in Back Bay, yeah. I have stated my love of Back Bay Sandwich many times, though that's weekday only I think. If you want Thai, House of Siam over on Tremont is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, and their lunch prices are p good. Something quicker is the burrito stand in Back Bay Station, Cha Cha Cha. They're legitimately really good, cash only though.

There are also a looooot of food trucks in that area, though again, most of those are probably better bets for weekdays. There are always 3 food trucks for lunch on the Trinity side of Back Bay Station, plus another down Boylston by the library, and another on the corner of Clarendon and Boylston. There's a schedule of the rotations online I'm sure you could find, but most of those trucks are solid.

edit: ooo I almost forgot, there's a really good pizza place on Newbury called Dirty Water Dough Co. Maybe a 10 minute walk from Taj. I've never had a bad slice there.

Last edited:
Off of the Common there is a sandwich shop called Sam LaGrassa's. Great Sandwiches, don't mind the line it moves fast. Boyltston Street is close enough to Fenway so you can grab cheap beers and walk over after. I know some buddies who do Cornwall's on Beacon, but I cant do Guinness when its that hot out. Skip the ferry to the Vineyard and go to Nantucket instead. Go Sox.

Back