• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Travel Agency: Montreal

The rooftop terrace at the Hotel Nelligan is great. It is located in the heart of the Old City and is swanky without being stuffy.

http://terrassenelligan.com/a-unique-vantage-point/

ETA: We were told from a few independent sources that Le Resto du Village serves the best poutine in town. Although my perspective is flawed because I had poutine only once while in Montreal, I can say that it was very, very good.

http://www.dejeuners24heures.info/

Last edited:
Looking for a hotel rec for a conference at the convention center (Palais des congrès de Montréal). The Westin and Intercontinental are close by. Looks like the Westin is newer but the Intercontinental is typically better in most cities.

The Old City is fun to ride around in a horse drawn carriage. Impasto is a really good Italian eatery. Bonaparte is expensive but good. A pilgrimage to the down and dirty, smoked meat heaven of Schwartz's Deli. It is a worth the trip.

Make a deal with your wife not to get in trouble when your eyes follow the never ending stream of beautiful women that you will see throughout the city.

Thanks. I've been twice and enjoyed myself both times. Haven't been in about 10 years though. I'll hit you up closer to the conference.

One of the things we remember most fondly about the summer we spent exploring eastern Canada is Oka cheese. Made near Montreal, we first tried it there and then bought it regularly for the remainder of our time in Canada. It was generally available in eastern Canada but not seemingly very available other places. Try some if you're there.

Both are good choices. I have stayed at the Intercontinental (last summer) and I liked it a lot. Let me know if you have any questions about Montreal. It's a city I know rather well.

Any restaurant or activity recs?

I'm not a steakhouse guy typically, but Queue de Cheval is pretty spectacular and worth a look if that's you thing.

Any restaurant or activity recs?

Joe Beef and/or Liverpool House if you can get a reservation. The Burgundy Lion pub across the street is great and low key. Atwater Market has some great shops and food stands.

Joe Beef is amazing.

We enjoyed L'Quartier General -- four course prixe fixe that's byob.

Kouign Amann is one of the best bakeries I've ever been to. Get the namesake pastry and you won't be disappointed.

Schwartz's for smoked meat (like pastrami). St. Viateur for bagels. Sorry, NY donks, Montreal bagels are superior.

Got back yesterday. Unforunately, a short trip was shorter than I hoped after spending most of Friday in Toronto Pearson. Did conference stuff on Saturday and walked around a ton on Sunday. Didn't get to too many spots, but I had a good time.

Thinking about a trip up there next Spring, but just now starting with the recon. Is it better to stay in Montreal or Quebec City? Is getting around and parking with a car easy or a pain? Do they have Uber? Are the cities pretty safe?

Quebec is more romantic. Montreal is more cosmopolitan.

Thinking about a trip up there next Spring, but just now starting with the recon. Is it better to stay in Montreal or Quebec City? Is getting around and parking with a car easy or a pain? Do they have Uber? Are the cities pretty safe?

Just got back from a trip from both, although it was my first time in Quebec City. Parking isn't really a problem as there are plenty of pay garages, just gotta walk into the very center of the city in QC. Uber yes and yes safe. How long do you have, can you do both? (about a 3 hour drive).

the old-city/tourist part of QC is very safe, entirely walkable and a nice 3 day visit, especially for a couple

you could probably spend two full days wandering the old part of town and another couple days driving to some sites within 20-30; a week might be pushing it in QC, personally speaking

Thinking about a week.

Is time to visit set in stone? There is a BIG difference between March and May. If it's 5 days I would probably just stay in Montreal (or QC). If it's 7-9 days, you could definitely go to QC for 2-3 days. Trois Rivieres is a cute town to stop in along the way for a good lunch.

Is time to visit set in stone? There is a BIG difference between March and May. If it's 5 days I would probably just stay in Montreal (or QC). If it's 7-9 days, you could definitely go to QC for 2-3 days. Trois Rivieres is a cute town to stop in along the way for a good lunch.

Nothing is set in stone at this point. Is there light rail between the towns? Would you do 3 in QC then 3-4 in Montreal and fly out after that?

Nothing is set in stone at this point. Is there light rail between the towns? Would you do 3 in QC then 3-4 in Montreal and fly out after that?

We rented a car, but I am sure there is a train/bus between the two cities. I would say 2 nights (3 days) in QC and the rest in Montreal, but 3 nights in QC would still have plenty to do. Lots of awesome places to eat in QC. Is it just you traveling or SO/kids as well?

Back