• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF starting 5 for $15

Levy was definitely better than Strickland as a player, but for this exercise Strickland fits better because he could hit an outside shot while Levy was a poor mans AFA, and AFA is the best value of anyone listed.

Yep, perfectly said. Levy was also overhyped as a shut down defender by the program/announcers, which he wasn't. But he was super versatile on defense which is valuable on its own like you said.

Levy is probably underappreciated at this point of anything.

Levy was definitely better than Strickland as a player, but for this exercise Strickland fits better because he could hit an outside shot while Levy was a poor mans AFA, and AFA is the best value of anyone listed.

Two great posts. Strickland pairs well with AFA giving you room for Duncan and Paul or Childress.

King and Tucker are better values at forward than Strickland. They were each far better players.

Didn't they both play for Odom? Other people used them.

Copy/pasted directly from the OP:

I'm only using Odom's recruits through Dino's recruits

"Played for" =/= "recruited by".

Duncan, Downey, Chill, AFA, Visser

Duncan and Chill were easy picks.

Taron was such a cool guy. He is an absolute steal at $1. Paul is better, yes, obviously but Taron was no slouch. If Ish were $1 as well, I think I'd still pick Taron mostly because Ish was a liability at the free throw line.

I picked AFA because he was really good as long as you reminded him he wasn't a point guard. I really liked Strickland and he played good d but he pretty low basketball IQ.

Visser was kind of my default choice here. I don't remember any standout centers other than Big E. Visser had some good years and he wasn't a bonehead like McFarland.

RJ is right about King and Tucker.

I went with Tucker at the 2 as he started at the 2 when we beat Duke (the year they were essentially unbeatable).

1. McQueen
2. Tucker
3. King
4. Rogers
5. Duncan

Sixth man - Owens.

RJ is right about King and Tucker.

I went with Tucker at the 2 as he started at the 2 when we beat Duke (the year they were essentially unbeatable).

1. McQueen
2. Tucker
3. King
4. Rogers
5. Duncan

Sixth man - Owens.

your line-up (Trelonnie in, Duncan out) was essentially the 1992 team that backed into the NCAAs (7-9 in ACC) and lost badly to Louisville in Round 1. It was the 1st butlerizing of Odom's postseason career

also surprised no one has picked Scooter Banks for $1. Often out-sized, never out-worked.

your line-up (Trelonnie in, Duncan out) was essentially the 1992 team that backed into the NCAAs (7-9 in ACC) and lost badly to Louisville in Round 1. It was the 1st butlerizing of Odom's postseason career

But obviously, Duncan makes that team (and any team) a whole lot better.

As far as Banks, AFA just has fantastic value at PF for $3.

Last edited:
Duncan
AFA
King
Downey
Paul

If we can have King (a ridiculous bargain). Otherwise, Craig Dawson can rain jumpers along with Taron since they'll both get wide open looks all day.

Yeah, I realize that....but that's the WF team that I want: CD, Chappell, Hemric, Rod & Skip. Screw the budget (and the last 30 years).

WF basketball died on July 15, 1985, as far as I am concerned.

And yet here you are, posting on a thread about WF basketball. I'd take a team of the Wake "2 and dones" (Chris, Teague, Johnson, AFA) and Duncan and run train on your team.

Possibly. In any event, some things are more important to me than winning at any cost. I would rather lose with 4-year student athletes than win with 2 & done semi-pro players.

I got an email from one of the guys representing BSD awhile back, informing me of this upcoming project and requesting my opinion on the WF players from earlier years. I told them at that time that I followed WF basketball very closely from 1957 thru 1985....but that I didn't feel qualified to offer any opinions on players from 1986 on, and that there were many posters on this board who were far more qualified than I to rate players since 1985. I wouldn't even attempt to do it. Most of them, I never even saw play, other than bits & pieces on television...and not very much of that. For example, I didn't even watch the 1995 ACCT final on television when it was played. (I was watching Senior Day at Assembly Hall, where the Hoosiers were thrashing the Iowa Hawkeys 110-79.) So I sent them a list of what I considered the top 5 players at each of the 5 positions from 1955 thru 1985.

And BTW, the only players that you have seen me posting about on this thread were players from those years. I haven't said one single word on this thread about any player from 1986 on.

The fact of the matter is that I don't know or care much about WF players from 1986 on....and you don't know or care much about WF players before 1986. That's about the size of it.

I know and care a lot about WF players from before 1986. However, seeing as I wasn't alive in 1986 that knowledge is admittedly second hand. I don't lack that knowledge because I decided to quit being a fan for 20 years.

What do you think about Bob Knight being a pioneer for recruiting 2 and done players (and even winning championships with them)? Of the 17 players drafted after only 1 or 2 years of college from 1976 (year of the NBA/ABA merger) to 1989 Bob Knight was the only coach to have more than 1.

The fact of the matter is that I don't know or care much for WF players from 1986 on.

FIFY. If you didn't know or care much about them you wouldn't post on every thread discussing them or pretend to know so much about their performance as students, their attitudes to education, or their ability to contribute to society.

I think the Duncan/Paul teams are definitely superior to any other scenario. Even if Duncan was $11, I think you could make a good argument for picking him and four $1 players.

I think the Duncan/Paul teams are definitely superior to any other scenario. Even if Duncan was $11, I think you could make a good argument for picking him and four $1 players.

Now I know which one of you is Odom.

I'm a little surprised that so many consider CP3 a given over Randolph as college players. Is that colored by comparing their NBA careers, or am I buying too much into the legend of Childress due to the ACC tournament? Admittedly I was 8 years old in 1995 and not a Wake fan at the time.

Back